AIM in essays

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Bobo, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Bobo

Bobo New Member

Nov 5, 2006

Hi, I'm a student in high school, and I'm wondering if students ever turn in essays that have AIM language in them, like substituting "you" with "u." Thanks!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 5, 2006

I don't teach high school but I would definately not use internet language in your essays. The point of essays is learning to use the language more formally.

4. Bobo

Bobo New Member

Nov 5, 2006

I'm not saying that I would use AIM language in essays, but I'm wondering whether any students have turned in any essays with inadvertant u's and ur's and whatnot.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2006

That AIM isn't language... it's shorthand for the real thing. I would never accept it in an essay. As Deafinly Smart stated, the purpose of writing is to learn the mechanics, grammar, and structure of language.

Sorry, but it's unacceptable.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 5, 2006

I misread it too. The subject is not if it is appropriate. It is inappropriate...period. The subject is if any teacher ever gets that kind of paper turned in. I'm curious too. I just assume students know better..hehe.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2006

I would hope that kids haven't lost all skills thanks to the internet. :p

8. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Nov 5, 2006

I think kids probably do hand in papers like that by accident...I used to hand write letters to my friends like that, although not for long. I can see why it might happen by accident! It's nice to hope, but it's a little unrealistic to expect that skills won't get lost.

9. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 5, 2006

Some of my younger students do it, and sometimes they are outraged that their papers are marked wayyyyy down because of it. Losing a letter grade for each Dumbo error is a wakeup call for most of them.

10. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Nov 5, 2006

I had multiple students use AIM language in their journals. We had to have the "what is appropriate to hand in" talk early in the year. All it took was the one talk and then a few individual chats to make it stop. These were 8th and 9th graders.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2006

This is a great "teachable moment" regarding the uses of language and appropriate uses in various situations. Occasionally, I have my students write an "email" to a friend in which they are able to use less formal language.

12. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Nov 5, 2006

I have students do that, but I tell them they can't. For ex., they might write LOL or u in their journals. I tell them that "chat" language isn't acceptable in the classroom. I even tell them that I personally use that language in emails and chatting, but I don't use it professionally. This usually gets the message across.

13. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Nov 5, 2006

I homeschool my 7th grade son and he tried using 'internet language' at the beginning of this school year in his first paper or so. I had a talk with him letting him know it's not ok and he has done much better :)

My husband had a good point--he loves to read comics, science fiction, and computer messages. Computer messages are all he really writes besides school work, so it's what he's accustomed to. Just as I wouldn't be able to write in Shakespearian language, he has a hard time adapting to proper written english. He just needed some prompting and some more information about how, when, and why we use more formal written language. I don't think it's a big deal unless a student continues to use it after being instructed not to.

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 10, 2006

WOW. I have a six year old who is super mature for his age. In writer's workshop he always writes about his favorite bands, how he'll have long hair and piercings in high school, etc. We wrote letters to soldiers on Friday. He wrote something like, "Hey dude, how are you? I'm groovy, thanks to you. LOL. Here is a pic of me. What are your favorite bands? These are mine." And he made a LONG list of bands... Green Day, Korn, etc etc etc...