Aides are important!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hokiegrad1993, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Apr 30, 2018

What is everyone's opinion on when you are student teaching you are required to take at least a portion of your student teaching as a paraprofessional or aide. I think this could be crucial in the line between teacher and aide. I have talked to a lot of people who are aides and they feel under appreciated or teachers do not understand what a day in the life of an aide is like. I think it is a good idea where maybe teachers will understand more and be more understanding.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2018

I've never heard of such a thing. Since the jobs are so different, I'm not sure how much value that experience would add. I think that a person can appreciate a good paraprofessional or aide without being one. They don't make student teachers work as custodians or bus drivers or secretaries during their field experiences, even though those positions are important as well.

TrademarkTer likes this.
  4. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Apr 30, 2018

I understand that. I just have seen things in my county where aides do not feel appreciated. I had talked to another teacher and it was brought up in conversation that made me think about y'alls opinions.

5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Apr 30, 2018

I think aides are incredibly important. I have nothing but the utmost respect for my team.

That being said, I don't think there's much benefit in making student teachers jump through yet another hoop. Some people are just elitists, for lack of a better term, and would still look down upon aides, even if they walked a mile in their shoes.

6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Apr 30, 2018

Aides are a blessing and invaluable. I could not do what needs to be done without them and I tell them so regularly. They expand my capacity to be effective. You send any unappreciated aide to me! I will take them in a heartbeat! I love my aides!

Possibly a week extra in an aide position might be a good way to round out the student teacher experience.

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  7. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Apr 30, 2018

In my classroom, my one teacher aide is very important. Without my amazing teacher aide, I could not facilitate small groups, teach a whole group effectively (due to all behavioral difficulties that arise during instruction), continue teaching while a student is completing absent work, go on the playground or even leave the classroom for that matter (includes going to lunch), and help all students. I think that all teachers, especially special education teachers (like myself!) really need the teacher aides, so we can best provide for our fun students. (Special education ratios require an aide for the most part.)

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Apr 30, 2018

I don't necessarily think it's necessary to be an aide - as someone else said, many states already ask a lot of people working toward certification - but that said, I do think having been an aide before teaching has had a great impact on my relationship with my aides. You're always going to have a better understanding of the role and what it feels like to be in it when you've been in it yourself.

9. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 30, 2018

I've not either! Sounds somewhat ridiculous to me. One can find undervalued individuals in every profession. The title of this thread could just as well be, Teachers Are Important! I'm sure there are just as many aides who are condescending to the teachers that they work with, as there are teachers who have elitist attitudes. Kind of like doctors and nurses or ________ and ________ (you fill in the blanks).