Aide Vs. Sub

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachLI123, Aug 13, 2008.

1. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I met with the principal of one of the schools I would really like to teach at. He said at the time no permanent teaching jobs are available but that he's prepared to offer me a classroom aide, one to one aide or subtitute. He mentioned that although it's beneath me he'd like me to take the classroom aide because it would be the quickest way that he could move me up to where I'd like to be. What do you think??

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

If you don't take it, I will!

I've been all three.

There is no guarantee that he will really give you a teaching job. You can't make him sign a piece of paper saying he will give you the first opening.

Subbing is day to day, feast or famine. It will only work if you sign up with other nearby districts, and/or have a part time job at night as well. Subbing has no benefits.

Aide job will give you 1/2 the pay, but benefits. Again, I would take part time job, or I will starve.

But, ask them...can I be considered for on-call in building sub? Pay me to cover class, as long as I don't jeopardize my class? Subs are expensive, aides aren't. They can get away without having an aide, but not a teacher.

good luck, whatever you decide...

we'll take your sloppy seconds! :rolleyes:

4. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

I am still in school completing my teaching degree, and was recently hired as a teaching assistant, and the Principal mentioned that it would be a stepping stone to other things, in his opinion. I am hoping that is the case, though I realize it might not work out that way. I am just thankful to be working in the classroom in any capacity just to gain more experience.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2008

I personally would take the aide position. In my district, principals tend to hire aides that get their degrees above subs. And it is full time so you know that you will be going in every day with a steady paycheck.

6. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 13, 2008

I'd take the aide job. Many school district apps. specifically say, "Do not count substitute teaching as experience."

7. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 13, 2008

I would also take the aides position. Not that I have ever been hired after being an assistant, but it does look good on a resume that you have worked in a classroom and it is steady. You know where you will be everyday and you know the routines and the children. With subbing, you don't usually know those things.

Good luck.

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 13, 2008

I would personally take an aide position. You work with the same kids every day and get some benefits. Subbing doesn't count to many districts as teaching but it's also a great learning experience too.

9. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 13, 2008

I was a sub, then aide before getting my first classroom position. I got the position because the P and staff worked with me daily and wanted me when they had an opening. I was recently hired as a aide again. It's how they hire for teaching positions in the area districts. I say go for it!

10. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I would take the aide position, but it will probably not get you a teaching job. I suppose it varies with every school district but my district will not hire certified aides. I have spoken to some of the teachers in the school about this and they told me that a good aide is hard to find. While aides are easy to replace, if the school has a good aide they don't want to lose them.

In addition, be careful about what you allow them to do with you if you are an aide. I ended up subbing for other teachers for three out of every five days I worked and was not compensated for the higher sub pay. They told me that there was no budget in the money to hire a sub, and no money to compensate for the additional responsibilities I was given. I do not mind helping out every once in awhile, but I do mind if I am making less than the poverty level in my state and am continually given additional responsibilities like having to stay after school for bus duty which I was also not paid for.

The benefit of the aide position is you will have more experience to draw from when responsibilities at other schools for teaching positions. You will actually be able to use scenarios that have happened to you to help you answer some of the interview questions. Good Luck.

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

I would definitely take the aide's job. I took an aide's job to get my feet in the door. Two weeks later I got a call for a job as a teacher at another school.

12. Kohlsnake

Kohlsnake Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

I got an aide job in april, continuing it this year since I got no calls, and no one left my school (charter). I don't get bennies and get paid only $10 per hour, but subbing I'd go weeks without getting a job some months and i was working in MANY districts. The aide job is the only thing that keeps me sane! :2cents:

13. BusyBeeMrsP

BusyBeeMrsP Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Aide.. Definitely!

14. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

yep aide. i was an aide last year and almost got a maternity leave position in the school (my lesson could have been better). the district i was in has HIGH expectations so...i was ok with it. but it got me at least 20 interviews this summer and now i just got a job as a maternity leave teacher in another district. i didn't have benefits though...so i worked part time at sylvan. i feel like subbing is only beneficial if say, you did a mat. leave and it was only half a year and you wanted to stay in the district (that's probably what's going to happen to me this year!) either one is better than nothing though!

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2008

I may even go to the high schools now... I don't want to lose my car!

I wonder if HS aides get more than elem aides?! I know in reality, if I apply for an ECH aide, it really won't help me...because then I'll just be a one-on-one, or changing diapers every day! I might as well go to the infant toddler room in Head Start.

ugh...

going to bed

nite all!