Aide or no Aide?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Kteacher1, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Kteacher1

Kteacher1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I recently interviewed for a kindergarten position at a small school. At the end of the interview, they let me know that they would not be hiring a kindergarten aide. Is this standard practice anywhere? The expected class size is 24 students.
    Both of my children attended schools where each K class had an aide. My mother also works with kindergarten and has an aide. My stepfather has been a teacher, principal, and super in 5 school districts and each had K aides.
    Are there any comments or feelings that experienced teachers can share (this is my first year)?
    Thanks!

3. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

I have been team teaching Kindergarten for 2 years with 38-40 students. I only had an aide part-time (twice a week). There is not way I would have an aide at all if my class size was smaller. I feel there should be aides provided for Kindergarten classes, but in Miami-Dade County that just doesn't happen. It is always helpful to have an extra set of hands. Good luck!!!

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 14, 2007

In my district, we have 13 elementary schools each has between 2 and 4 kindergartens with anywhere from 18-25 students. There is no aide in any room.
    In the district that I live in, there are 6 elementary school with 2-3 sections in each school and about 18-25 in each. No aides. The aides are only seen in private schools in my area.
    I would love to have an aide, but that is just not done around here.

5. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I taught full time kindergarten my first year. I had from 21-19 kids during the course of the year and no aide. This is not unusual in the district although most principals assign paras to help out the classroom daily. For example, one para is shared between all three kindergarten classes.

Unfortunantly, our principal did not feel that the extra help was needed in this grade level. She assigned ALL paras to TAKS grade levels in order to help get those scores up.

It was a terrible experience. It felt like our grade and our work was not important to the administration...but that's a whole other topic.

I was overwhelmed by everything that I had to do and figure out on my own. It is possible though. I got through the year and I feel like a stronger person for it. The extra pair of hands would have been a blessing though...

6. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 14, 2007

I taught Kinder for seven years and the only way I had an aide in my classroom is if I had a special needs child. Our class size was limited to 22 with one class that could be at 24. I learned to utilize the parents as much as possible. I could handle the class, I just really needed help with all the prep work (laminating, cutting out, making copies, etc.)

7. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 14, 2007

I did not have an aide last year, but sometimes a parent or grandparent came in and made copies for the whole grade level. That did help though.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2007

We only have aides in our kindergarten classes if there are students who require intensive one-on-one support (this year we have 2 students with fragile medical conditions so there is a full-time aide in that class).

9. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

I taught kindergarten for 5 years and never had an aid.

10. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Jul 14, 2007

I have only had a part time aide who floated between two classes. You would get a full time aide with a special needs student if the IEP specifically calls for one here in NJ. I have had between 19 and 23 students at a time. I had parent helpers both in class and at home helpers who would trace and cut things as needed. It is a fact of life in kindergarten, I think, to be on your own most of the time.

11. Kteacher1

Kteacher1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

Wow! I did not realize so many teachers were on their own in kindergarten. I guess the districts we have lived in have their teachers spoiled.:)

12. AlliBob

AlliBob Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I teach full day kindergarten and our district provides every kinder teacher an aide for 3 hours a day. It is really nice. I don't know what I would have done without her. Good luck!

13. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 14, 2007

All of our kinders have aides. I thought that was standard practice. The class sizes are much small as well. I couldn't imagine being in a room full of 20+ kinders alone:eek: . Maybe you'll have great parent volunteers.

14. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

The district I live in does not give aides to any classes, unless there is a student w/ and IEP that calls for one. The one kinder teacher this year had one...but then the aide got changed like 3 or 4 times...but she was pretty useless other than working with her student. The subs got all the work to do...copying, cutting, filing...blah blah blah. But she was really good about letting us choose what we wanted to do...I would go to her room during preps while I was in for other teachers just to have stuff to do! Good Luck and I'm sure you'll be just fine without an aide! :)

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 14, 2007

I'm in a small district and we only get an aide if we have a special needs student who has it specified in their IEP. That is fine with me...I would rather not have an aide in the room! I will have one this coming year...I'm really nervous about it!

16. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

When I subbed for DoDDS their kindergarten teachers had full-time aides, so I thought that was relatively normal as well.

Once I started my student teaching and subsequent job here in the states, I haven't found a district that had kindergarten aides around here. We are getting full day kindergarten next year at my school and none of the 4 classes will have aides.

I say, if they offer you the job, don't let the lack of an aide stop you! I can understand it might be difficult if you were going from a class with an aide to one without, but since it will be your first year...you won't know any different. :)

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 14, 2007

We also do not have aides in any of the Kinder classes. I've never had an aide, even assigned to us as a grade level. We actually only have 4 aides that work the whole school pre-K-5th and 2 of those are assigned to Special Ed. classes full-time. I guess it's easier if you have never had one, you get used to doing everything yourself. Although I do get jealous when I read about how smoothly teachers can work small groups and guided reading because there's someone else in the room to help monitor.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2007

Aides aren't always assigned to K classrooms here in my district.

One thing to consider would be to contact your local high schools and universities. Lots of them have programs for future teachers where the high school or college kid will come into your classroom and help out. You can assign them basic tasks like copying or prepping for art, or you can use them to do some one-on-one work with struggling students.

I did this sort of thing in high school and college, and I loved it. It gave me an accurate sense of what it was like to be in a classroom and it helped solidify my decision to become a teacher.

19. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jul 14, 2007

We only have aides in rooms if they are with a student with special needs. Rarely they will assign an aide to the kindergarten rooms for a few hours a week.

20. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2007

In NM, the cap on kinder classes is 14 students w/out an aide. Even with an aide, I've never seen a kinder class with more than 20.

21. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

When I started school in the sixties there were not teacher aides, I don't think the term/job had been invented! There were 33 in the class.

In Queensland, they have introduced the Prep year to replace Preschool. All state Preschools had a full-time teacher aide (plus additional if children had been ascertained and required help). The program was a 5 day fortnight. This year Prep is full time and the government has limited the teacher aid time to 15 hours per week. The parents are not happy and the teachers are stressed.

I am in a private school and I have a full-time teacher aide. I count myself lucky.

22. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

WOW! That would be nice. Our max is 22 and I've had 22 most of the time!

23. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

We will have no aide this year. In fact like most of the other posters our kinder only has an aide for special needs kids. We had one last year, we had a hard time keeping a person in that position for most of the first semester. Our other elementary school does get aides for their kinder. But I think they share that position. I have heard that we are getting a 5th kinder teacher just to cut down our numbers in our classes. Last year the kinder teachers all had our limit of 22 for most of the year.

24. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Hmm...our kindergarten classes with aides had 21-23 students. Of course we are very over crowded!

25. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

We don't have Kinder aides either, except I had one one year for a physically/emotionally challenged student whose IEP called for it. Our class size is (supposedly) a maximum of 22. If you've ever done any research into optimum conditions for early childhood education, sources usually cite 16-18 as the maximum number that one teacher can effectively manage and teach at the same time. But - legislators don't usually do much research when they pass the laws.

This year, I already have 27 students on my roll for August, including a special needs student who does not require an aide.

We're supposed to get a "compliance teacher" (usually a long-term sub in the classroom) if we have more than 22 students for more than ten days, but somehow, this gets fudged a bit at the beginning of the year, and I remember the fall of 2003, when I had 29 students until the end of September. Argh.

I'm not worried, but I will be doing a lot of praying! :angel:

26. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

BTW - a teacher at my school did a classroom "Angel Tree" last year. (Actually a dead tree branch she painted white and stuck in a can with pebbles around it.) Some of the "angels" that parents could untie and commit to take care of were: helping with copying for 2 hours per week, sending snacks, chaperoning field trips, being "room parent", etc., etc.

I thought this was a good idea, especially for a class with no aide or other help. :)

27. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

In my district I have not seen aides in rooms at all in kinder. The district I did my student teaching in had aides for the special ed students only in kinder.

28. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

Didn't say it never happened, just never saw classes that big around here :p. I'm not sure what the limit is supposed to be with an aide...

The problem I've seen though, is when you start getting too many adults in the room. Teacher, aide, SPED aide, student teacher- 3 or 4 adults all the time is a lot. Then you have speech, OT, PT, specials teachers that drop in, and it gets a little overwhelming.

That's why I'm going to request 1st for my student teaching. I'll complete a shorter practicum in kinder (my favorite grade), but I don't think ST in kinder gives you enough preparation for being the only adult in the classroom- because you never get to be!

29. griffitham

griffitham Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

In college I worked in three different schools and none of the kindergarten teachers had aides. Now I have been teaching kindergarten for going on three years at a reading first school. We only have an aide for an hour during reading in the morning and thirty minutes in the afternoon for reading interventions. Only PK has fulltime aides. My first year at this school I had 24-27 students in my class. It was hard but I managed. Last year my state passed a law that K could not have more than 20 in a class. I ended up with 16-18 throughout the year. It was much better and more easily manageable.