Aide Issues

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Cole_x, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Cole_x

Cole_x Rookie

Mar 14, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I teach an EBD Kindergarten class of 10 with 4 aides. One of my aides in a one on one and started last week.

I've had nothing but issues with this man. He corrects me in front of my class constantly and tells the student that he is working with that it is okay if he doesn't do his work, as long as he tries (this student can do the work, the trick is to get him to start... once he starts he does 3rd grade work but putting pencil/crayon/marker/chalk/ anything to paper is an issue) so the student does nothing but scream or run out of the room (something he never did before the one on one came)

Anyway, I went to school with this man's daughter and he feels that he knows more than me because of my age and has made comments about it. My other aides are great and always have my back with everything. We are a team and he's on the outskirts.

I've been to my principal about him but she is hesitant to do anything because this is his last chance before he get's fired. I, at this point, do not care. I worked hard to get my class where it is and I will not let anyone destroy it. He has me dreading communicating with him and at this point all I say to him is the assignments of the day and my expectations because everything else he undermines!

I'm sorry for the rant but I am beyond mad. Does any one have any similar stories or any advice? I'm grasping at straws here.

-Thank you:)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2012

Document, document, document and then bring these to the P each week or every other week.

Sit down with the aide and talk about what you expect and want him to do. Then if he doesn't follow through, document it. That's really all you can do in this situation.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 14, 2012

Tell him flat out when you two have some time alone that you are the boss. It does not matter that he is older than you. You are in charge in the classroom and he must follow your rules.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 15, 2012

Does he know it's his last chance before he's fired? Since it sounds like he's had issues in the past, by this point he should know he's doing something wrong. If he doesn't learn to work with others, that's his fault.

I agree with the other posters that you need to sit down and tell him what's expected of him, and that he needs to be a part of the team. I would address specific things as well, like that he shouldn't be telling the student he doesn't have to finish his work. And yes, document! If you don't feel comfortable speaking to him yourself, maybe you could set up a meeting with your P included? That would definitely set the tone.

Have you talked to him about the student who has trouble getting started? I have a job that's similar to his, and I've worked with students that pretend to not be able to do things because I don't know them yet! Most teachers don't say anything and I have to figure it out myself. Sometimes I'm not sure how much to push them because I don't know their ability level yet.

6. Cole_x

Cole_x Rookie

Mar 21, 2012

First of all I'm sorry this took me so long to update. Responses aren't getting sent to my phone like usual.

Anyway, I have been documenting everything and have talked to my P quiet a few times, as well as my program coordinator.

The aide knows this is his last chance and received a letter from the assistant super of what is expected of him and warning him to "behave".

I have sat down with him and explained things, but he immediately got defensive saying it's difficult when "you're a guy in a womans world".

In the past week (and it's only wednesday!!!) he tried to show students how to light something on fire with a magnifying glass, yelled at the lunch lady, stood on top of the lunch table, and let his student run out ofthe room about 4 times. I'm fed up and I want him out. As sad as it is to say the kid he's in charge of is getting worse. He does not have any respect for this man and see's it all as a game.

I'm so afraid he's gonna tattle on me I'm uncomfortable in my own classroom. For instance, today his student was throwing blocks across the room, I went to intervene, the student tried to throw one at me and i grabbed his arm to block him. The student being overdramatic as usual threw himself on the floor and hit his head on the beanbag chair. The aide walked out of the room, i'm pretty sure he told on me.

I told my P at the end of the day and she told me not to worry about it because "they all know how he is"

ugh! why me

7. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 21, 2012

How about scheduling a meeting with your P involved to address these issues? The three of you sit down and talk about what's working and what's not, as well as ways to fix it. Since she's hesitant to get rid of him, that could be a good compromise.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 22, 2012

Teaching students with behavior problems (hell, any students) how to light fire to things with a magnifying glass (despite how interesting it is as a child, it is an activity to be done at home under parental supervision) is an incredibly dumb idea. The man should stop treating these children like they are his own (or his grandchildren) and start treating them like students who need to learn.

9. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 22, 2012

Why is this a reason for the principal to protect him? From the info provided, if he's a step away from getting fired, then he deserves it. Everything I've read here is utterly ridiculous. He's acting worse than the kids.

10. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 22, 2012

Your principal is a weakling. It looks as though this will go on until she grows a spine.

11. Cole_x

Cole_x Rookie

Mar 22, 2012

Today I called my big boss (spec. serv. director) and told her all of what's going on. She confirmed my suspicion of him tattling, but said he never tattles on me but the other aides in my room. All day today I was meeting with the P about him and she spoke with my aides to get a firm grasp of what's going on.

She knows I want him out because of him making me uncomfortable and is trying but because it's so late in the year it's hard to hire an aide. Ugh!

At least today was a step in the right direction. I'm meeting with the terror aide, and my P tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.

And I have to say thank you to all of you. It really means a lot that someone understands and is willing to give advice.

12. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 22, 2012

Good luck in your meeting! I'm surprised to hear that they say it's hard to hire someone this time of year. People are scrambling for positions where I am, even if they're only for the rest of the year.

13. Cole_x

Cole_x Rookie

Mar 22, 2012

my area too. I had to go through the ranks to get the job I have. They mean it's "hard to hire" is that the budget is closed and excess paperwork is required to hire someone.... :/

14. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

Ah, I see. That's a really annoying reason. You'd think having someone competent that can manage the kids is more important than avoiding a little more paperwork. Either way, I hope the meeting goes well and he makes some changes as a result.

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 23, 2012

My dd told me something about her job yesterday that surprised me. She said an employee (not in a school) had been caught stealing but that her boss wasn't going to fire her because he doesn't want to have to pay unemployment. He's going to cut her hours hoping she will quit. Any chance this is the reason they don't want to fire this guy? As a sidebar....I had never heard of this practice before. I thought one couldn't get unemployment if one was fired. Evidently that's a state thing.

16. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Mar 23, 2012

I have had this issue before. You need to sit down with him and tell him the truth. Don't talk behind his back to others about it, as this can be seen as being disrespectful. If things do not change after you talk to him, then you did all you could, and you need to see about getting rid of him. This behavior would not be okay in any other profession, would it?

17. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

How did it go?

18. Cole_x

Cole_x Rookie

Mar 23, 2012

We met, we talked. I found out that when I thought he was texting he was recording things "his student has done" (against school policy). My P yelled told him if she ever sees his phone again he's gone.

All day today he was trying to catch me alone to try to get me to take back what I said to the P. I told him that if he values his job he'd change his behavior and I left it at that.

Today he was a decent person, hopefully this continues.

Lovebeingteach, I have talked to him about his behavior, he just didn't take me seriously and things have escalated.

19. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

Wow! I can't believe someone would record students. I'm glad it seemed to work and hope it keeps up. Thanks for the update!

20. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Mar 23, 2012

Cole; I have no advice to you. I only have empathy since I have been dealing with paraprofessionals similar to this and worse. I am thinking of walking away from my job at the end of the year. Just way TOO many cooks in the kitchen.

21. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 24, 2012

He should be fired solely for the recording of students, that is a massive violation of confidentiality laws and that could get the school in so much trouble with the state and the federal government.

Did the principal make sure that the aide removed the recordings?

22. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 24, 2012

The more I think about this, the more it bothers me. If I were a parent and I knew that someone was filming my kids on their cell phone, I would absolutely lose it. Is there someone that this can be reported to?

23. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2012

Good luck with this! Sorry my message got deleted. I've been following this situation and I hope it is resolved for you.

24. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 25, 2012

State DoE/the superintendent

25. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Mar 26, 2012

I might be off base here guys but I took her recording comment to mean "what he was typing on his phone was him recording his student's behavior." I.e. he actually is texting but to cover the fact he said he was writing down student behavior.

Still that is a majorly wrong thing to do unless it's a school issued phone going into a school database. I know I was required to note the kid's actions I worked with but on paper, and that paper never left the school.

Augh I just feel bad that such horrible people are out there. What can you do though?...they're everywhere.

26. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 26, 2012

I hope that's what it means, Pete! That would be much better.