AI, computer learning, automation...unemployment?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DamienJasper, May 26, 2019.

1. DamienJasper

DamienJasper Rookie

May 26, 2019

Hate to poke the fear monster or sound like a Luddite,

But having just finished my first year and with lots of time ahead, I find I’m getting lost in my own head a little.

All year long I was loathe to use Khan Academy. I dunno, sort of a protective “but these are MY students and I don’t need a guy named Khan to teach them for me” type attitude.

But I am forced to wonder and worry, with things like Khan Academy, YouTube, Siri, MasteryConnect and various other forms of personalized distance learning; will we as classroom educators soon be resigned to the same scrap heap as chimney sweepers and horse drawn carriages? Especially given the ever relentless drive for financial efficiency that capitalism demands?

A very sad and distressing thought for me; I feel like I found my place in the world.

Paranoid?

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 26, 2019

I don't worry about this.
    My state (Georgia) started an online charter school for students who didn't want to go to a traditional school. The results came back showing that the test scores were abysmal. On top of that parents work and will always need someone to watch their kids in the day. I just don't think most people want to send their kids to a school where they sit in front of a computer all day.

Backroads and DamienJasper like this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 27, 2019

My school used a lot of technology this year, more than previous years. While my principal would like to think computers can do it all / teach it all, I strongly disagree.

For my high students, they were able to do some self-teaching. Technology was very useful in helping them push themselves. They could read the lesson contents and answer the questions and more or less teach themselves, with the ability to ask me for help at any time.

For most students though, the technology was a very passive way of learning and not very useful without teacher support. They'd speed through lesson contents or videos and then when they got to the practice part, they'd guess at the questions with varied success. More successfully, I could teach a mini lesson to the class, we could do examples together, and then they could answer questions on their own with our learning technology. This follows the classic I do - We do - You do pattern. Technology was only useful for the You do part for many kids. It was good practice, but they were not good at learning new content from a computer independently.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Backroads likes this.
  5. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

May 27, 2019

I've asked my sophomores and juniors repeatedly about questions such as this. Their answers might surprise you. In response to the question, "would you prefer doing school entirely online/robot teachers/etc. or meet in the traditional classroom setting?", nearly all of them were adamant that the classroom is the way they learn best. They fully acknowledge their short attention spans and interrupted lives in front of iPads/phones/computers and appreciate the time in class where they can learn and interact.

Also, in regards to the recent push for digital textbooks, they aren't big fans. They much prefer a physical, hard-copy textbook.

Backroads likes this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 28, 2019

Not really.

I've seen some studies suggest much of online education amounts to little more than teaching students how to use a computer program.

Plus, look at all the great minds. They are not separating themselves. They are discussing things. They are interacting.

Human nature and human learning will likely never get rid of human educators.