Ahhhh, second year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by patti2, Aug 22, 2007.

1. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

I cannot believe how much easier the second year is. Today was my first day and it went so smoothly! Last year--wellllll, I won't go there!:whistle:

To all those out there in your first year-make notes to yourself for next year about what goes well and not so well. Even a little note to myself about how to collect all of those Kleenex boxes made my life so much easier!

I hope everyone else's start goes smoothly too!!!

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 22, 2007

Hey, how DID you collect those boxes? =-)

4. MsKay

MsKay Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

OH this is my second year and I am really excited to begin but I feel like its my first year because I am moving from middle school to elm.. All my experience is in elm school but last year about march I was in my stride in middle school so this year will be a big change BUT it is easier. Especially in the preparation stage!! It does get easier, next year I should be sailing on a ship!! VERY SMOOTH

5. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

This is going to be my 2nd year as well and I'm hoping that it goes much more smoothly than last year!! I hope I can come back when my school starts and say my day went as smoothly as yours. :)

Like you said....last year; I just won't go there.

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 22, 2007

This is my 3rd year and it is even better than the 2nd!!
    Good things ahead!!!!!!!!

7. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 22, 2007

It took me a number of years to keep a file folder of the first 2 weeks worth of stuff. Can you believe I reinvented the wheel every single year trying to remember what I did? Dumb! Since the first 2 weeks are so different than when you have your routines, be sure you don't make my mistake. Write notes or be more detailed in your planner than you would later in the year. Make copies of everything and drop it in a file with notes! It will be SO MUCH EASIER. Any parent letters & stuff for Back to School night, make copies! Good luck on your first days!:rolleyes:

8. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 23, 2007

This will be my second year and I hope things go smoothly! I think last year was wonderful, though. So what if this year is terrible? I just have those first day jitters! I start in 2 weeks

9. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I think my school's coach said it best:
    "The first year you drown. The second year you float. The third year you swim."

I'm in my third year. Ready to take on challenges again.

10. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Aug 23, 2007

I agree! Last year was my 1st year and well... we won't go there! I had Meet the Teacher tonight, and the year is looking bright :)

11. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

This is my 2nd yr too and I'm so excited to go back... I think I have too many new ideas to implement though so I'm worried about that!

12. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 23, 2007

I LOVE that! I'm second year though....I could use some flotation through this year. ;)

I think the same thing...there are a ton of new things that I want to do this year, I'm afraid I'm getting in a bit over my head!

13. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

We should start a 2nd year support group! :)

14. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Yep, just wait until your 3rd year! This is my 4th year teaching, but 3rd year in this grade level. Everything is going so smoothly for me this year. I think I could do it in my sleep!

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 23, 2007

This is my second and a half year. I'm not saying this year is easy at all, but I'm feeling much better about how things are going!!

16. Sturm

Sturm Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Also a 2nd year teacher...comments above are very true. The whole setting up and organizing aspect is much easier also. I came in from a much different perspective this year then last year. 3rd year will be even less stressful:)

17. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 23, 2007

I made the kids put EVERYTHING that they brought on their desks. Then we put things away one by one. Pencils in pencil cups.....blah blah blah....the last thing left were those HUGE boxes that take up too much valuable space. I had them bring them by tables and put them into big tubs on my counter (neatly) and it went really well. I think the big trick was to tell them before we even left the gym that I wanted them to come in, sit down, and put their backpacks behind their chairs. We did about 30 min. worth of talking/sharing before I even let them touch it. They were okay with that. The teacher next door had kids shoving boxes in her face as they walked through the door.