Ahhh! Informercials!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissFroggy, Jun 22, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 22, 2008

I am watching an infomercial for CRICUT which makes me WANT it. I don't even do crafty stuff, or scrapbooks or anything and I STILL want it. I keep thinking, oh that would be great for school. Do you ever see things on an informercial and want it? Ever buy anything?
    http://www.cricut.com/Default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

My parents once bought a flowbee. They cut my brother's hair with it.

I have bought a couple things- some paint remover and furniture refinisher (never finished the project) and a Tony Little gazelle thing.. it's in the basement.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2008

I don't buy stuff from informercials but sometimes I'm tempted...

Cricut is available in some craft stores (or something like it)

For schools, try an Ellison machine-does the diecuts and holds up really well. http://www.ellison.com/

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 22, 2008

If you do want a Cricut wait for it to go on sale at a Michael's or AC Moore. About once a month, or every other month anyway, it goes on sale for about 40% off. So do the cartridges. Just keep in mind that if you do get one you'll spend money on cutting blades and mats. And that's assuming you can control yourself and not buy too many cartridges! Go for the newest version if you get one, it's worth the extra hundred dollars or so.

I have the old version and it's lots of fun to play with :). I used it a lot when I taught pre-school. Didn't use it for my sixth grade class though. I have it because I'm a scrapbooker. I could definitely see myself using it bunches for any younger elementary school age.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 22, 2008

Wow, MissFroggy-I'm totally sucked into an infomercial at this exact moment. It's called the chic shaper, and it's suppose to improve your posture and give you tons of cleavage. As a less-than-A, this is extremely appealing to me. I even hollered for my husband to get out of the shower and come look at this. It's a little pricey, but looks like it's totally worth it....

www.chicshaper.com

I bought one of those plastic bag sealers off an infomercial one time, and broke it the first time I tried it.

6. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

ooh-I've been looking at the chic shaper too.

7. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

I did buy a Cricut at Hobby Lobby (when they went on sale). I loved it at first and quickly wore out a mat and cutting blade. I haven't used it much since, but I have some school projects to do with it.

My weakness is infomercials for workout stuff. I LOVE my Turbo Jam and own the entire set, but each time a new workout comes up, there I am, ready to order, lol. Thank goodness for Ebay though--I can usually save a bundle!

8. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

This is too funny! Right before I got onto AtoZ, I was going to check out the website for Cricut! I am considering purchasing it!AAAHH.

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

What's Turbo Jam?

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2008

I bought the NuWave portable oven and used it a lot for the first 6 months. It came with a free ("But wait!...) magic bullet blender that I never opened. I also bought the steam cleaner thing because I am nuts about germs and I thought it would work well on tile grout. It didn't.

This morning I almost bought this two sided griddle thing that bakes and cooks meat, too. I'm still considering it. Hahahaha.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 5, 2008

Exercise video

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

Hahaha! Those infomercials are marketing genius. My husband bought an anti-snoring device last night. I'll let y'all know if it works.

I'm wanting a panini machine because the Barefoot Contessa likes it and also hates appliances cluttering up the place. If SHE wants it, I can want it!

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

Wonderful, Jem, now you've got ME wanting the chicshaper, and I'd never even heard of it!

15. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 5, 2008

Upsadaisy, was the steam cleaner the mop with the carpet attachment or the canister that sprays steam from a nozzle?

I really want the steam cleaner to mop my kitchen and bathrooms. We have a store here that has a whole section called "As Seen on TV", but they don't have the mop. I bought a magic bullet blender for my husband for his birthday (since every time the commercial came on he said, "That might be nice to have."), but he didn't even finish unpacking it before deciding to take it back.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2008

Our Walgreens has a section for seen on tv, too. My steamer is the red canister. I think I'll bring it in the classroom and steam anything I can before school starts.

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

Love the Barefoot Contessa, but Rachel Ray uses a heavy skillet on top of her paninis while they're in another skillet. Looked genius to me, I haven't tried it but I bet it would work. I generally hate kitchen gadgets, they're just something else to have to worry about finding a place for. My DH loves stuff like that & we have a utility room filled w/useless, forgotten about stuff.

18. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

:thanks::2up:

19. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

I just saw the Better Back contraption and thought it looked promising..

OH- just saw a device to use to file down doggies' toenails. I REALLY thought I might get that! It's always a struggle to cut my girls' nails and I always seem to hurt them.:unsure:

20. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

I love my Cricut! I use it to make stuff for my bulletin boards and such, as well as for scrapbooking. It is awesome!

21. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

OMG! I want the Cricut, even DH asked if I was going to get one after he saw the infomercial, LOL!
    I try to scrapbook, but haven't really got all the way into it yet.
    But the Cricut, looks very cool!

22. Kit

Kit Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I also saw the dog toenail filer thing and thought about getting it for my two dogs! It looks like it would be less painful than clipping (which I don't do very well).

What about the 10 Minute Trainer? I think it's by the same ones that do the Turbo Jam. Sounds too good to be true...

23. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 6, 2008

Oh, I wish I had posted a coupon link my mom emailed me!!

It's expired now, but it as for 50% off ANY item at Michael's. :( I forgot to post it here, and this made me remember.

But like someone mentioned, sometimes they put 40% off any item coupons in their flyers. I wish they sold those Boston Pro electric sharpeners. It's one of my "big ticket" items on my list this year.

24. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

I see the Michael's 40% ad quite often in the Sunday news.

25. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I had one of the Michael's 40% off coupons except it says in tiny letters on the bottom "Except any Cricut products". I wonder why?

26. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 9, 2008

Now I want one! Did you go out and buy more cartridges or were the ones that came with it good enough?

27. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2008

Our panini maker is my favorite wedding gift we got. I LOVE it. I'm one of those people that likes all my food hot, but my husband really likes sandwiches. All the time. Even for dinner. So I just pop mine into the panini maker, and it makes it hot and crunchy and delicious. I even do it with tuna fish-delicious! You can make pizza sandwiches, turkey/mayo/cranberry sauce sandwiches, anything! Soooooo good. And super fast and easy. Just heat it up while you're putting the sandwich together and then throw it on the p. maker for a minute. Easy to clean, too!

28. NorskNanners

NorskNanners Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Shhhhh! All I need is for packrat hubby to view my screen and be reminded of the home shopping networks as an other outlet for his being a consumer in the days of the tough economy!

29. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

Why'd you have to put that link on there?? Now I want one too!

30. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 10, 2008

I think it is because of the price. I nearly fell off of my chair when I saw how much it was -- nearly $500!!:eek: To think I was going to buy one:(.

31. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

Well, that didn't help me resist! :) I'm hungry, too!

32. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

Is Cricut pronounced "cricket"?

33. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 10, 2008

yes

34. happypreteach

happypreteach Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I just bought the Cricut at Walmart. It is so much fun, altho my hubby keeps asking if I have made anything with it. I am really looking forward to using it for my bulletin boards this year.

35. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

Wow. I just watched the Cricut video on their site. First, why do they always pan away after the person puts the paper into the machine? I want to see what it looks like when it comes out. Second, why the heck does that lady have a sweater tied around her shoulders? Did she just get back from tennis with the hubby? And now she's settling down to do a bit of Cricutting? Thirdly, the stuff that is cut looks pretty small. Can you cut letters big enough for a bulletin board? This looks like it could be pretty sweet.... but I'm NOT wearing a sweater around my shoulders while I use it.

36. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

:lol::lol::lol:
    What do you have against sweaters? LOL!
    Now I have to go and watch it!

37. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

Get ready to roll your eyes. The drama when the sweater woman receives a Cricut birthday card is almost Oscar worthy. And the delicacy in which the actresses push the Cricut buttons makes me wonder if they will stand up to my impatient jabbing.

38. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

Oh yeah, she was doing a BIT too much!
    So it says 5 1/2 inches, which sounds like a good size. I still really want one!

39. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

Did you check out the training videos, too?

40. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

ACK! I had to press stop approx. 2 seconds into the video. The lady on the left had the same hand gesture as the lady on my stupid CLAD dvd courses (CA teachers-you may know what I'm talking about). That stinkin' CLAD lady invaded our home for over 150 hours while I crammed to get my certification done in time (no longer needed at the private school), and now I will have nightmares once again! This time, it's the Cricut lady! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

41. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

LOL, have not had the pleasure :lol:.