AHHH!!!Admin rant!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hac711, May 11, 2010.

1. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 11, 2010

So today, had an administrator come into my class, DURING A LESSON, and tell me that another teacher was absent and that I had to take over his class in the afternoon. Now, twice a month I get off at 4:00 b/c I don't have classes to teach-today was one of the days I'm off at 4:00. I said that I was unable to do it b/c I have plans. Then, as the kids started getting out of control, he says that when another teacher is absent I have to take over. I said that I have in the past (which is true...for no extra pay mind you) but today I cannot b/c I have another job to get to. He then told me to call my other job and tell them I wasn't able to make it b/c I was needed there! He even offered to call them himself! I was flabbergasted. I said no, I won't do it. He said he was calling the super (in charge of the whole operation), which is one of his best friends. I am beyond, beyond angry and hurt. I started (and still don't have anything that I didn't purchase myself) out with no supplies, I purchased everything I needed out of pocket with no reimbursement, had my pay cut 1200 a month, email parents, set up field trips and in school programs and teach 5 grades...I feel used and taken advantaged of, and I know they will dock my pay for the hour I refused to sub. Does anyone, please, have any solution to not getting docked pay?? Also, this year, they implemented a punch in clock (we are all salaried...no point) and I have about a month of no punches ( do to the fact the office is in the back, I teach the front and the minute I come in, there is always a child or situation that needs my attention). This is not an enforced rule, yet I was singled out and told, well, how do we know you were here? Because, idiots, if I wasn't here, 5 grades would have been reeking helter skelter havoc all over school....I am so angry!!!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 11, 2010

What are your contract hours? That is what you should be held accountable to. If the class you were to cover was during your contract hours I don't think you can fight it. If it was outside of your contract hours I would immediately talk to your union rep. But, then again, if you have done it in the past without any problems they may call you on past practice, saying you never said no before.

4. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 11, 2010

I work private...no union..
    as for my contract...HAHAHAHA!!!
    My contract states I will get paid XYZ, when actually I get paid 17000 less a year
    My contract says I am the science teacher, I teach all subjects because they couldn't find teachers

My contact says I am supposed to come in at 8:30. They switched it to 10.

My "contract" is a bunch of bull that I wouldn't even wipe my ass with

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 11, 2010

I'm sorry that has happened to you. It sounds to me like you stood up for yourself and set some boundaries for them. I see the having done it in the past as a great defense if you get in trouble. ("I have always pitched in to help with absenteeism of co-workers when I have not made previous arrangements.") Additionally, you can reference that you're not unwilling to help your school as evidenced by the difference between your contract and the actual job. I don't blame you for being angry.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 11, 2010

So basically your schedule is different day to day. Mainly you work 10 to 5? With the exception of twice a month you're done at 4pm? I would talk to the super yourself.

7. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 11, 2010

Correct.
    The super has not spoken to me since Dec. b/c another teacher was paying (don't get me started) the students to do well. I told the super, he did nothing, so I went to the board to put an end to it. Needless to say, he didn't like me going over his head.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 11, 2010

I tried to comprehend your initial post....... but couldn't. You seemed to be "ranting" on the verge of hysteria.

I hope you are OK.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 11, 2010

What sort of a school are teaching at? It sounds like a mess! Sorry you have to deal with all that.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 11, 2010

Maybe it's time to start looking for a different position in a school with a union. Sucks that you ended up at a school that doesn't know what they are doing!

11. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 11, 2010

If I remember correctly from another thread, aren't you thinking about moving out of state? I would start collecting reference letters, and strategizing the move. I would also start to slowly and discretely move the supplies you have provided out of your room.

Good luck!

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 11, 2010

I understood your post just fine, just for the record. :)

It certainly sounds like a situation I wouldn't want to be in. As for advice, I think private schools are often so drastically different from what I am accustomed to that I can only wish you the best.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 11, 2010

The only word that comes to mind is: WOW!

Thank goodness we all have a place to vent!

Have you been at your school for a long time? How would you feel about applying elsewhere? Sounds like it's time for a change???

14. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 11, 2010

I am actually leaving at the end of the school year and moving out of state. I already have reference letters (I got them last year). Yes, the school is a BIG mess, no direction or leadership. I just don't want them messing with my pay. I already received a pay cut and I have no extra money...thank-you for understanding and listening!