Ahh! So nervous..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shiloh17, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Sep 8, 2013

I am a first year teacher, tomorrow is my first back to school night. I am very nervous...I don't want it to show...any tips would be appreciated!

3. Mr. Radiohead

Mr. Radiohead Rookie

Sep 8, 2013

What's the setup?

Will the parents come into your class and you have to prepare a talk going over procedures, rules, curriculum, etc. at a set time?

Or is it more casual. Will parents drop by your class, come and go, between a certain time for a less structured meet and greet?

4. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Sep 8, 2013

We have 2 sessions...the class is split into half. I have to talk about the rules, procedures, curriculum etc. briefly. I prepared a scavenger hunt for them to do with their children as well.

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 8, 2013

Children come? Our elementary schools discourage children from coming.

6. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Sep 8, 2013

Be very, very prepared and act confident. You can even rehearse if that helps. Smile, be friendly, and shake parents' hands with gusto. I was surprised many people said I didn't look nervous at all when in reality I was scared witless! :D

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 8, 2013

Rehearsing is good advice. I still get nervous speaking in front of a group of adults like that after doing it many times. Good luck! :thumb:

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

As a parent, here's what I wanted from Parent Orientation when my kids were in Kindergarten:

- First and foremost, the feeling that the teacher liked my child and would look out for him/her. For many first time parents, Kindergarten is the first time the child has been really separated and put into the hands of strangers. (After all, you can research and pick and choose Nursery school if you choose to have your child attend one.) So make sure the parents know that you like kids and will act in their best interests. They'll be allowed to go to the bathroom, they won't go hungry, the shy ones will be encouraged as they learn to make friends... they'll be OK in your care.

- Some idea of what he would be learning and what I should be doing to help him. First time parents have no idea what's "normal" at each stage.

- Some idea of how things would be graded. There's lots of info out there about testing and grading... let them know what to expect and when they can expect to hear it.

- What to do about birthdays and Halloween and other special days.

- What the procedure is for sick kids-- how do they call in, how do they make up work?

- How they can contact you about concerns. Make sure parents know that this is not a night for one-on-one conferences, but let them know how they can go about arranging one if they feel the need. Also, how do they let you know if something happens during the year that they want you aware of.

Good luck! And remember, they're not the enemy. They're hoping and praying that their babies are safe in your care, and that it will be a good year.

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 8, 2013

Also, to go along with the aforementioned excellent advice:

If you're unsure of the answer when asked a question, it's PERFECTLY OKAY to say, "Hmm, I'm not sure about that, but I'll check with our principal and will be happy to email you the answer."

A parent will feel more comfortable with your honest admission of ignorance, rather than you trying to come up with an answer to wow them.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 8, 2013

remember that YOU are in charge of the night and that you are the boss of the classroom. Don't let the parents bully you or have it turn into a bitching session.

Lay out the rules and expectations for the year. Share some of your planned projects/goals/units, etc.

11. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Sep 9, 2013

WOW! Thanks everyone for all the support! It went great!! 1st session of course I was more nervous but second I felt more natural! Glad I had more parents for #2! My voice was a little shaky...hope they didn't notice :eek:

Thank you again for all the suggestions...really appreciate it :angel:

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2013

Good to hear.:)

Parents can make or break your year, so its great that you have made such a good first impression.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2013

I'm so glad it went well!

Tonight is mine. No nerves... I've been at this a long time. Just kind of a hectic afternoon as I come home, check on homework and order a pizza, and head back in time for dinner at school at 6.

14. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Sep 10, 2013

I guess no luck is needed for you! I'm sure you did awesome!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

My only problem is fitting my whole spiel into the tiny amount of time we get. They run through their child's schedule, and we only get a few minutes to speak. It's never enough :)