ahh report cards

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Iris228, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Nov 1, 2008

I officially hate doing report cards for first graders! Anyone have suggestions for report card comments? I don't want to put too much in the comments because 1. It's stressing me out and 2. we do have parent teacher conferences the same day report cards go out and I can discuss student progress at that time. I'm thinking of putting at the end of the comment something like, "looking forward to seeing you at our conference." I don't really know. How do you guys structure your first marking period comments?

3. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Nov 1, 2008

As for me...

I too, have parent teacher conferences. For the first quarter, I only put comments for those who are reading below grade level. Something like: 1Q Based on September's DRA, Bob is reading below first quarter expectations for first grade. OR Bob is having difficulty keeping up with the pace of the class. He is reading below grade level, based on our beginning of the year DRA.

All my concerns I put in my conference outline. It isn't until 2nd quarter, that I put a comment for each child. hth rox :)

4. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Nov 2, 2008

Yes that's helpful. Any advice is helpful at this point! I'm doing report cards for the first time and they are due soon. I don't want to stress myself out too much writing comments when I have conferences coming up soon where we can discuss any concerns that I have or high light some of the positives. Just looking to keep it short and sweet.

I've heard other teachers do one positive comment, something that needs improvement and then another positive or a suggestion for how to continue progressing and improve. That sounds like a lot to me since conferences are right around the corner.

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2008

Eventhough you have conferences the same day, your comments MUST be on the report card. The report card will go into the chil'd perm. record and comments have to be there! If there is an issue solid evidence needs to be written down!!! You don't want that to bite you in the butt later!

CAn you talk to other teachers on your grade level to see what they are writing?

6. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Nov 2, 2008

In my county, comments are not required. Principals highly prefer that we teachers put them on report cards, but they are NOT required.

I always do have comments. We have computerized report cards, & there are "pre-made" comments for us. All we have to do is type in a designated number & a comment will appear.

7. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Nov 3, 2008

No we are not required. In fact my mentor teacher told me that her daughter's teacher simply wrote "see you at conferences" I don't want to do that, I recognize that I would like to have some in writing and add additional details during our conferences.

I have spoken to other teachers in my building and they gave me a general idea as to what they are doing. I actually got to see an example today so that was very helpful.

I am pretty much writing: _________ has adjusted to first grade nicely (or "is adjusting" for those students who are still progressing) followed by a comment on their reading skills: 1. something they are doing well or 2. an area I noted needs improvement. Then I'm going to write a little about their social skills/work habits and close with "look forward to meeting you at our conference." It's not all worked out but that's the gist of it.

8. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Nov 3, 2008

I wish there were pre made comments. Thats how it was when I student taught. It was somewhat easier to point and click right on the computer to comments that fit each child.

9. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Nov 3, 2008

Absolutely write any comments you plan on discussing at the conference on the report card. When that child moves to a different teacher, grade, school, etc. Many times the only communication to be had is in that comment section. When I have a question about a students behavior, academic ability, etc the report card comments are the first place I look. Even before I go discuss it with a colleague who had the child before. Often times if it is not on the reportcard you will get parents who will say "this is the first time i've ever been told" even if it is the 10th time. PLEASE WRITE IT DOWN!

10. angelmom

angelmom Rookie

Nov 4, 2008

If you are putting that they are not up to where they should be for grade level on a subject, then I would also add something positive. I don't like to take a report card home to my child and when they ask what it says, only have something on it that sounds negative.

11. Loopy1/2

Loopy1/2 New Member

Nov 11, 2008

I write a short summary of the first trimester skills that were taught in reading and math. Then I write a short personal comment and I usually say ...keep practicing math facts to 10 for the end of the year and sight words. Blah, blah....

12. Emmy Jo

Emmy Jo Rookie

Nov 23, 2008

Once you've written a few, it gets easier because you can start repeating some of the same phrases. Here's some examples:

(Student with academic struggles)
    Olivia has adjusted well to first grade! She is excelling in math, but she has begun to struggle a bit in reading. Please be sure to review phonics sounds at home with her each night so she can continue to make good progress next quarter.

(Student with peer struggles)
    Lucas has done a good job adjusting to first grade. He is helpful and attentive in class. He loves to be a leader, but occasionally does not consider the feelings of others. Learning to empathize with his classmates should help his peer relationships next quarter.

(Student with behavior struggles)
    Katie has adjusted well to first grade. She is doing a great job in math, and she is also on-track with her reading. I have seen her begin to make improvments in the area of self-control, especially as regards talking out in class. Continue working with her on this; I am excited to see the progress she is making.

(Student with little room for improvement)
    Everett has done a great job adjusting to first grade. He gets along well with his peers, and he is excelling in math and reading. I love to see his eager smile every morning!

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2008

:)

14. traveler

traveler Comrade

Nov 23, 2008

At our school they only want us to put Parent/teacher conferences on the comments for first trimester. I am not sure if that is the right thing or not to do but it makes that part of report cards easy.