Ah, young love...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jun 26, 2017.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 26, 2017

A student confided in me that he has a crush on another student. Believe it or not, because of my years teaching online, this is my FIRST time dealing with this situation. They seem to be, at least for now, good influences on each other. She's helping him with his homework, and he seems to be helping her improve her attendance. That being said, I am nervous if this turns into something more than a crush because they're both on the immature side.

Suggestions?

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Jun 26, 2017

Near my last day in my middle school practicum (6th grade), one of the girls in the room confessed she had a crush on a classmate and was asking me if she should ask him out to School Fun Night. I was honestly a little petrified and totally not prepared to deal with that. I basically just told her "You should if you want to, I don't see why not." Not trying to make her decision for her or sway her too much.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 26, 2017

My answer was to simply say to him, "I think she's had a rough time with romance." She's covered my white boards with poetry saying that much, so it isn't exactly private news. We'll see what happens, if anything (probably nothing).

6. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Jun 26, 2017

Just curious, what grade level are these particular students?

7. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 26, 2017

Let nature take its course. Experiencing crushes, 'love' and 'heartbreak' is part and parcel of growing up.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2017

Unless you are suspecting something dangerous, back out gracefully. Not your business.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Peregrin5, otterpop and greendream like this.
  9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 26, 2017

These are 16-year olds.

Yep, time to mind my own business. :whistle:

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 26, 2017

When I've had fifth or sixth graders come to me with that, I've always tried to make a light joke out of it before changing the topic. When I taught third grade... I would always have to be extremely careful because I was usually the one they were crushing on. Sigh.

11. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 26, 2017

I've taught high school for four years. Kids would tell me all kinds of personal stuff, and I'm an oblivious/unobservant male. My advice is to just smile and say great when they tell you stuff. It drove me nuts when other teachers would be gossiping about the kids. Sometimes I felt like a few of them decided to be teachers just so they could never leave the gossip mill that is every high school.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 27, 2017

It's funny what I've missed while teaching online when it comes to classroom management and simple socialization issues with students. I've just about finished my first year of in-person teaching (not counting summer session), so I'm hoping to have grasped the biggest aspects of it at this point.

13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2017

Thank goodness for fourth grade, where that issue almost never comes up...and instead they scoff at any lovey-dovey-ness in read alouds (to which I can't help but grin at).

14. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 27, 2017

I've had students "dating" before, or at least with crushes on each other to the point of where it's a distraction. They'll pass notes and feelings will undoubtedly get hurt. Luckily, in fourth grade, you can solidly tell them it's inappropriate to be dating and to get back to focusing on school work and friends.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 27, 2017

The halls of my high school were filled with couples making out or holding hands around corners. I felt like it was once a week when I was told by counselors to let so-and-so student get off easy on work or behavior because they were experiencing their latest heart break for the tenth time in a row or to change their seats because they were dating and now they hated each other's guts (or similar things with friends who hated each other for going after the other's man or something). I found it easier to just pretend I don't see anything even though I'm pretty sure full on making out in the halls was probably against the rules.

16. George Smash

George Smash New Member

Jun 28, 2017

Well if I was you I was not worried - that is not so bad, only hormones. They will play and stop)