aggresive kids who don't talk or sit

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by crayonkid, Nov 29, 2008.

1. crayonkid

crayonkid Rookie

Nov 29, 2008

im a new teacher in a montessori school. a pair of twins recently joined my class. they don't talk much, prefering to point and make sounds for what they want (they're 3yrs old). They rarely speak unless i say what they should say and have them repeat it.

They also love hitting the other kids as well as the teacher. They are 2 pretty tough kids and it they hit hard! i use the time out-stand in a corner method with kids when they go over the top. but these 2 don't care!

is there any other way?

3. stepka

stepka Comrade

Nov 30, 2008

Maybe it's just me, but they sound like they are way too immature to be there.

4. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Nov 30, 2008

Maybe its because I work with children with autism, but the autism flags go up when I read that post. Only because they repeat what you say and doesnt speak when they are 3 years old.

They are also aggressive. If they dont speak and they only talk when they are repeating things....aggression is the only way to communicate.

5. crayonkid

crayonkid Rookie

Dec 2, 2008

im not quite sure bout them being autistic... english is their second language tho their mom says she speaks to them in english.

6. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Dec 2, 2008

O, sorry....that would make sense. Hopefully it'll get better. Maybe give them time to get into the routine and learn English. So Im guessing they understand English since mom talks to them in English?

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2008

If they don't speak, then that's the reason they're using their bodies. They don't know any other way.

Is it possible to put one child in one classroom and the other sibling in another classroom? That would be a good place to start.

8. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Dec 3, 2008

They are using their hands because they cannot yet use their words. I am a preschool teacher and I also have twins in my class that do very little talking and repeat everything I say to them. Repeating is just their way of learning language. Keep talking and telling them what you expect of them as far as their behavior goes. Eventually they will get better. When they hit be very firm that it is not acceptable and remove them from the group. I find that when I use strong body language, like standing very straight with broad shoulders it helps convey the message that I am in charge. I do not use time out, it has never worked for me.

9. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Dec 8, 2008

How long has mom been speaking to them in English? Does she speak English to them on a regular basis?

You might look into Verbal Apraxia. My son has this. He is three and doesn't talk much and can be quite aggressive (only because that is currently his only form of communication). We are working on teaching him sign language to help out in the communication department.

10. sadcase

sadcase New Member

Aug 10, 2010

I am a special ed teacher for close to 9 years.I DEAL WITH AUTISTIC children everyday year.You should have them tested by their doctor those are the signs of autism.My child is autistic those are the signs.Alot of parents do not want to believe their child is autistic and yes its hard.I'm sorry to say this but autism seems to be what they have..

11. Icare

Icare Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

Although I am not a doctor or a teacher, I am a parent of two HF Autistic Children and I agree, there's too many red flags to ignore.

Please look into it for the kids.