Age Level Poll

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs.Sheila, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

What age do you teach, and how long have you been teaching? Just want to get to know some of you better, and possibly see who I can network with along the same age level as my class!:woot:

I teach 3's ~and I tend to teach teh older kids. Most of my class last year was 4 before the end of Feb last year.:) I have been teaching at the same center for coming up on four years now. I have the 3's every year but one when I stepped down to the 2's. My twins were in the 3's so I needed to swtich for that year. I learned alot, and was able to understand the BIG differences between teh 2s and the 3s. They learn so much in those fundamental years do they not?

Anywhoo... what about you?

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

for the past 16 years I have been teaching 4's going into kindergarten. I have been at the same center for 15 years teaching morning and afternoon classes. In the past, I have had 3's and 4's in the same class. It is interesting that you find a big difference between 2's and 3's because I found a difference between the 3's and 4's especially in the boys( less mature). It just goes to show you how much growth occurs at each age level.

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 15, 2007

I teach public pre-k, all pre-k students must be 4 years on or before Sept. 1st. All of my students will go on to kindergarten next year. This will be my 14th year teaching, my 12th in pre-k. Teachers go back on Monday, the 20th and the kids come on the 27th.

5. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I teach in a public pre-k as well. All pre-k students have to be 4 on or before Sept. 30. My students go on to kindergarten the next year as well. This is my 7th year teaching and my 3rd year with Pre-K. I have taught Kindergarten and 2nd grade previously.

6. dianafish

dianafish Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I teach 3 turning 4. This year we are mixing the just 3's with the almost 4's. But, in the past I have done the older 3's. I have worked in this preschool for 6 going on 7 years.

7. [gloworm]

[gloworm] Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I teach one class of 3's and one class of 4s, each is only 2 1/2 hours, 2 days a week. It's hard to squeeze all that I want to do in such a small amount of time, but I keep reminding myself that my main goal is to develop their independence, since all of my students are with stay-at-home moms. It's actually a fabulous situation! This is my 5th year. Previously I was a sped aide in Kindergarten. Love what I do!

8. teacherkerry

teacherkerry Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

This year I will be teaching a class of 3's and 4's. The 4's come three days a week and the 3's come for two of those days. For the past 7 years I was the head teacher for the 4 year old class (all children going to K the following year) for 3 days a week and then was the second teacher in the 3's class two days a week. I am looking forward to teaching a mixed class this yearfor something different. The class is very small right now only 7 children compared to the 20 in past years. Next year depending on enrollment we may switch to teaching separate 3's and 4's classes. Our focus is on social skills and independence not too much academics but on days the 4's are there by themselves we will probably do a bit more kindergarten readiness.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 15, 2007

Preschool special ed. (hoping to turn into inclusion). Ages 3-4 (going on 5). This is my 10th year in this class. It is in the public school setting but in a specialized center.

10. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

This is my 4th year teaching 4 year olds half day, 4 days a week at a church preschool. We have a huge preschool and it's awesome!! I LOVE it where I am now!! ---- I taught public full time pre-k for 6 years before going part time. I was the assistant director at a daycare center somewhere in there for a year & the director for about 4 months before I realized I was insane to try to deal with adults instead of little people! I worked for almost 3 years at a day care while in college, I worked from 20-30 hour weeks along with finishing college in 4 years.

My 10th year this year working with 4 year olds and I honestly couldn't dream of doing anything different!! I LOVE what I do!!!

11. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

I teach preschool sped in a public school. This is my first year doing an inclusion program with this school district.

For the past two years I taught a self-contained sped preschool classroom in another school district.

My students range from 3-6 years old.

I'm starting my 3rd year of teaching..

12. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 15, 2007

I work with infants, toddlers, and twos. I've been with them for 7 years. This is my third year as Director at my current center--prior to that I was a Lead Teacher at another center. I've also subbed MS & HS, and worked with PK, K, 1st & 3rd, but I really love the little ones.

13. prekteach10

prekteach10 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I teach PreK children aged 4 they will go into Kindergarten in the fall.This fall I will be teaching 3 and 4 year olds. These are children will be going to the prek in the fall and the younger 3's will stay in the 3 year old class for another year. I have taught either 3 and 4 or Prek for the last 9 years.

14. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Aug 17, 2007

I teach preschool special ed. My kids are 2-5...Yep, as long as a child is 2 by sept. 30th, the parents could choose to send them to school (Virginia is the only state that does this)!!! I have more and more 2s as funding in early intervention gets tighter..If the kids are 5 by sept. 30th, they usually go to Kindergarten, but depending on birthdays, i have some that are almost 6 before they leave me.

15. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 17, 2007

I teach pre-k Sped in a public pre-k program. It is a team teaching model. I usually have a mix of kids from age cycle 2 (they are three, but turn 3 after sept 1) - age cycle 5. Though next year I will be in a different school and differnet program with more age restrictions because it is Head Start so I will only be able to have age cylce 3 and 4 year olds. It will be my fourth year. Never a dull moment! I love it.

16. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Aug 17, 2007

Same goes for me!

17. Miss Sam

Miss Sam Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I teach three's. I also end up with a lot of four's at the end of the year. The three's and four's at my center have the same curriculum and share a split classroom. I was a floater for a while at my last center, but three's have always been my favorite.

18. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

we are lic for the ages of 6 weeks to 12 years . during the school times we have one year to five years.

19. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

This will be my 2nd year teaching public preschool, 3's & 4's. Last year the classes were so small that they were combined on T,TH, I had the 4's alone on Wed. This year I will have the 3's T/Th & the 4's MWF. The classes are all afternoons for 2 hours as I teach kindergarten in the mornings. This year will be challenging as I have to come up with some new activities for the 4's as most were with me for the 3's last year. As we are a small town (and I am the only preschool & K teacher) I will have the same students for 3 years in a row in the same classroom. I will get to know them very well!

20. Tyland

Tyland Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

This will be my 9th year, starting in a new center and teaching Pre-K. I've taught a variety of ages, 18-24 mos, 3's and 4's. I've had fun at each level but really enjoy the fours. I've also taught music to 3's and 4's. I'm sure to incorporate that into my Pre-K class this year. I'm a little nervous to be the new 'kid' on the block, but I do have a rather large bag of tricks so it will be exciting.:up:

21. Teachers_Pet

Teachers_Pet Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

I teach 23 mths. to 5 yrs. My preschool is a combination preschool / Day care as well as before and after school care.

I have been teaching in preschools since 2003, but have taught children of the same ages at church since 1995 and aquired my own preschool this past April moving up from home child care. My preschool just received its state license though this past Monday, YAY!

BTW... yes, they are fun, and can really say some off the wall stuff too!

22. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I teach 3-5 yr olds in a Catholic school.

23. Mrs_M

Mrs_M Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I teach 3-5s in a half-day church preschool.

This is going to be my first year teaching preschool and only my second year teaching. GULP! I am a little nervous! My previous experience (besides subbing) was teaching for an afterschool extension program for grades 3-6.

24. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 25, 2007

This is my 2nd year teaching 3's at my current center... full-day, although several of them only come through lunch time. My co-teacher is new to the school this year although she has TONS of experience.

The year before, I did ECSE (3-5 yr olds with special needs) in public school. My kids right now area all theoretically "typical" although they're NOT, lol. I get a whole new crop of kids on Monday :) There's 27 of them, although one is dropping after Friday, and a lot of them are part-time and only come a few days a week.