age for Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Rabbitt, May 13, 2011.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 13, 2011

Another thread got me thinking about the birthdate cut-off date for children to begin kindergarten. Ours used to be August 31 but 7 years ago it went June 30. Since then...no retentions!
    All kids student in every grade have a 12 month age difference between July 1-June 30th. LOVE IT!

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 13, 2011

Wow, that is really early! Lots of my good friends in K-12 would not have been in my grade with that cut off. That would also switch kids born in spring from being some of the oldest kids in the grade to some of the youngest. Very different.

California's is WAY too late - December 2. They are finally changing that to September 1, though, but it's going to take until 2014 - December 2 to November 1 in 2012, and so on, taking off a month each year.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 13, 2011

Here is December 1...

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 13, 2011

December 31st.

6. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

May 13, 2011

WOW! December cut offs??? Their just babies when they come!! I can only imagine the vast difference between the kiddos.
    Ours is August 15 and you can still tell the difference between the young 5 and older 5 kids.

7. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

May 13, 2011

Around here most districts cut-off September 30th.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 13, 2011

Michigan's cut-off is Dec. 1st. Every once in a while I'll hear talk of them moving it back.

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 13, 2011

I think Indiana now has July 1st. We have students start their senior year already 18. We used to, before the driving laws changed, have sophomores driving to school.

10. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 13, 2011

I don't teach kindergarten and don't have kids in school yet, so I do not know our cut off. I know that some kids are ready at a younger age and some are not. Some kids I think should be able to come in at 4 (almost 5) and some should have to wait a year. This should be based on where they are at academically, not just on a date.

11. mkate

mkate Comrade

May 14, 2011

December 31st here. They actually can start the three-year pre-Primary cycle (free in public schools) the calendar year in which they turn 3, but that means that in the 3-year-old class you can have children who don't even turn three until December 31st (I have had such students as 4s and 5s and it's rough.) Here it's a pretty academic preschool/K program and some kids are just not ready.

Preschool and K are not mandatory here but if they go they have to go with the mandated age group-- no red-shirting or pushing forward.

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 14, 2011

I think our cutoff is September.

Question, though, my daughter's birthday is in November. If she keeps progressing 6 months ahead, I KNOW she will be ready for K when she is 4 and 9 mos. Is there a way to get her into K early like that?

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

May 14, 2011

Ours is Sept 1.

It is pretty inflexible.

No retention in Pre-K or K because they are not required. If the child comes to school at 6 they go to first grade.

Grades that can be failed are 3,6 and 9. Though there are options offered to families (summer school) that can keep them from failing those grades. I think if K and 1 are the grades to fail and 3 is to late. Social Promotion is in here because they have studies proving it doesn't help. However, I think and this is obviously an opinion if they held kids back in K or 1 when they were beginning to read until they could read and mature (since you know we've pushed down the whole curriculum)- that maybe it would prevent kids from entering SPED and having other issues. 3rd grade is to late. Just my opinion.

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

May 14, 2011

It depends on your district. I always tell people considering this to think about the child's social emotional health in the teen years if they are significantly younger than their peers.

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 14, 2011

Iowa cut off is September 15th.

It depends on your state! In Iowa...no!! I have a student who missed the cut off by a day and he couldn't come last year. No exceptions! The cut off is in place for a reason...there are always kids who miss it even if they are more prepared then the others! You may just have to keep her in pre k and continue challenging her at home!

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 14, 2011

There is no flexibility at all in our cut-off--a child born on January 1st will be at home for a year longer than one born on December 31.

17. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 14, 2011

I believe some places have tests they can take if they fall in a certain window. If a child is ready, a few days or a month here should not prevent them from having to wait a full year.

18. Lindager

Lindager Companion

May 14, 2011

In my part of NJ the cut off is Sept 30 and there are no if ands or buts.

My daughters BD is Sept29 and she started when she was 4, she was not socially mature enough and ended up staying back. I am glad they did that.

My sons BD is end of Nov. he started K when he was almost 6 he had LD and he kept getting promoted. Finally after 3rd grade I knew he was not socially ready for 4th I insisted they keep him back. Everyone told me it was a bad idea he was too old to keep back. Luckily I had a good relationship with the District Superintendant and he finally said, she knows her kids keep him back. By the end of his second 3rd grade year everyone was saying wow you were right he is doing great.

My other son missed the cut off by a few weeks and was almost 6 when he started, he was bored, very mature and yearning to learn. They refused to put him ahead, he ended up "quiting" in his efforts and he never did well after 2nd grade.

In my part of NJ the only way around the cutoff is find a private school that will except them and send them there through 1st grade. If they come in after K it does not matter if they have already done it school will put them in K by age. If they make it through 1st grade in a private school the public school will put them in 2nd.

My youngest has a very good friend that moved here in 4th grade. The other boy is a year and several days younger then my son but he started school in CA so he was in the same class with my son.

I have a real problem with arbitrary cut off dates. Each child should be evaluated on his/her own readyness. Our school does test each child by meeting with them for 1-2 hours over the summer before K if the child does not seem ready they will suggest to the parent that they wait another year. They do not even test the kids that don't make the cut off.

19. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 14, 2011

In California a district does not get paid for a child out of the age range so there is no incentive to allow them. I have also been told, but don't know for sure, that there could be insurance/liability issues if they accept a child out of the age range.

20. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 14, 2011

Not in our district! Our overall academics and school climate has changed for the better by only allowing a 12 month gap in age. Before, nearly each class had a 19 month age difference. Bullying has declined. Teens are overall happier.

I also recommend not sending her early. There are other ways to meet her needs now and a good teacher will meet them then.

Give her another year as a child vs. an extra year as an adult.
    IMO you will not regret it. Just my 2 cents.

21. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 14, 2011

Ours is August 31. I would not be ok with the June 30 cutoff. My son (who is not even 2 yet!) has a July 7 birthday. I would not hold him back an entire year from Kindergarten because of a 7 day difference in the cutoff. I already know that he is the kind of kid who will need to be challenged. I teach in the same district I live in, and I know what many of our students come into K with. Sad to say, but he is probably already ahead of the game. I have an end of August b-day, so I was a lot younger than many of my classmates, but my mom has said she never once regretted starting me as an early 5. I was always an honor student, and my socialization was never an issue.

22. 123456now

123456now Rookie

May 15, 2011

As someone else mentioned, you could send her to private school until first grade. My parents did that for me and my sister (October and late November birthdays). We finished 1st grade in private school and tested into public. She graduated as salutatorian, and I was fifth in my class. I am very grateful that my parents did that for both of us. I always felt like it gave us a head start.

23. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 15, 2011

Our is September 30th. My birthday is in early September, but my parents waited until I was 5 (so turning 6 almost right away) to send me to kindergarten so I'd be on the older end of the age range instead of being the yougest. I went to preschool the year I was 5 instead of straight to kindergarten. I was a bright kid and would have done fine academically, but I was shy and very short/small to begin with so my mom didn't want me to be the youngest in the class on top of that. I'm very glad they did it that way. I was one of the first in my grade level to be able to drive, to be 18, 21, etc. I would have hated being so far behind being a year younger than everyone else. I had a friend whose birthday was in October but her parents had fought to get her into kinder early so she was a year younger than all of us. Believe it or not, there was a pretty significant difference in her maturity vs. the rest of our friends even though she was extremely smart academically. Most of my friends as I got older were also Sepetember birthdays that were on the older end of our grade. There's no way to measure for sure I guess but I'm sure that extra year helped my maturity/responsibility as well.