Age Discrimination Research

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tayla Causer, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Tayla Causer

Tayla Causer Guest

Apr 12, 2016

Hi everyone. My name is Tayla, and I am a university (college) student from Australia studying a degree in High School education. I hope this is allowed and if not I apologize. I am currently writing a research report on the transition from college to a teaching position, however more specifically focusing on if any form of age discrimination toward younger people takes place. In writing this I hope to recieve input of any experiences, opinions or thoughts from all teachers. I would greatly appreciate your help. So I leave with you, the question: Do you believe age discrimination orientated towards yonger teachers exists within the teaching profession?

3. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2016

If anything I think it is reversed. Young teachers are greatly welcomed in every school setting I've been in thus far. Even as a vet myself I find myself thinking more highly of our young teachers.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2016

Age discrimination would be hard to prove. Instead, it seems schools are looking for highly qualified, experienced teachers. It takes some time to build up those credentials which leads to a slightly older result when hiring.

Peregrin5 and Backroads like this.
  5. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Apr 13, 2016

My district openly discriminates against older teachers, because they still receive salaries based on an older, graded pay scale, as opposed to new employees who will forever make a minimal salary of about $35K. My district intends to force these older teachers from the corporation by way of a newly institutionalized system of increasing harassment and diminishing performance evaluations.

The teachers' union, such as it is, is quite the opposite, favoring older teachers over younger teachers, insofar as the level of representation it extends when there is an issue or concern.

6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Apr 13, 2016

Forever 35,000?? Where are you located? Is there no pay increase or raises???

7. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Apr 13, 2016

If you are rated Effective, you get a $200 bonus the next year.

There are no pay increases or raises, not even for having a Master's degree. In fact, pay goes down every year as employee contributions to health insurance rise. And deductibles increase. And benefits decrease.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 13, 2016

And how exactly does your district plan to prevent turnover?

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 13, 2016

Age never prevented me from getting interviews/job offers, but I have experienced ageism in the workplace. I look about ten years younger than I am so everyone assumes I have no experience when I first start a new job, and even last week, one of my coworkers was talking about our students (preschoolers from low income families) and told me to "not be a young parent" . I was a little offended because she doesn't know how old I am; I'm too old to be a "young parent". So I just kept my mouth shut.

10. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Apr 14, 2016

You're kidding, right?

They WANT turnover. They want every teacher making more than the new standard salary to retire, quit, or get RIFed.

In my state, Republicans have been working hard to destroy public education. And they're doing a great job of it.

College students able to read a newspaper are no longer entering teacher programs. Our state plans to recruit kids in high school with promises of free college tuition in return for signing a five-year teaching contract. It's like military recruiting, taking advantage of the poor and uninformed.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    DressageLady likes this.
  11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2016

I take offense with your military comment.

I'm not sure what state you're in, but is there not some sort of union?

Backroads likes this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 14, 2016

Yes, I'd imagine a union would take care of these things.

Amy, I'm sure you mean well, by why are all of your posts so nastily political? Are you really assuming all teachers view scenarios and even public/private schools the same as you?

13. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Apr 15, 2016

I don't think that AmyMyNamey 's posts are all "nastily political." And I do not think, after reading her posts, that she is assuming "...all teachers view scenarios and even public/private schools the same as [her]..." She is stating her thoughts and her opinions.She is passionate about this, and speaks strongly. There is nothing wrong with that - she doesn't need to be "called out" for it. Negativity just shuts people down.
    If you don't agree, you could ignore her comments.

creativemonster and Peregrin5 like this.
  14. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Apr 15, 2016

AmyMyNamey, can I ask where you are located so we can have an idea of what to expect if any of us are going to relocate or if any of our relatives are planning to?

Backroads likes this.
  15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2016

It sounds like North Carolina.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 15, 2016

When you start naming political parties, you're trying to start something. It's inappropriate for a teacher-focused site. If she left it at the problems, that's one thing, but when it becomes about a certain party or politician, solving the problem becomes lost. Entirely inappropriate for a teacher board.

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 15, 2016

It's not entirely untrue though. It would be naive to say that Republicans in many states didn't actively enact legislation that is largely anti-teacher, anti-union, and even anti-education and anti-student.

I don't see an issue with identifying where the problem arises. I wouldn't mind if we kept it at "politicians are doing this" for the sake of civil discourse, but it's being intentionally blind to not realize that all of these politicians have 'R-' next to their name.

creativemonster and Caesar753 like this.
  18. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 15, 2016

Now, I actually belong to neither party so don't think I'm anti-whatever, but... why the latter? What makes it necessary to a civil discourse, as you put it? It adds nothing to the conversation and, in my internet experience, is generally a clumsy way of attacking philosophies. It tends to be dividing to teachers who don't fall full in step with everything of what part have you.

Just saying it's bad internet etiquette and I simply wanted to know what Amy's point was, being that she has done this multiple times even with having her threads deleted.

19. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 15, 2016

I'm a little confused. What are you referring to when you mentioned 'the latter'? And what I meant by civil discourse is that I was fine with leaving it as "politicians are doing such-and-such" without identifying their party to keep it civil, but remaining aware of what each party's platform and actions have been. I also hope you didn't see my post as accusing you of being anti-whatever. I tried not to level any accusations or make any assumptions.

I am not aware of Amy's history, and I agree it's not the best 'etiquette' to jump into political discussions if you're trying to stay friends with everyone. However I am of the opinion (it's just my own personal opinion, not saying it's right or wrong) that if we're going to run a discussion board we shouldn't always let etiquette hold us back from talking about things especially if they pose an issue that should be discussed as long as it pertains to the main topic of the board: teaching.

Nobody gets informed, enlightened, or poses questions about controversial topics if no one ever discusses them for fear of politeness, and thus these topics and issues would never move forward if we constantly adhere to etiquette. Those who know me on here know I tend to jump into conversations most people like to avoid to try to remain 'neutral' and sometimes I go too far, but I think we have fun. ;)

20. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2016

I'm not old yet, but I'm not that young anymore either (early 30's), and I have been teaching for going on a decade. I am impressed by the level of preparedness our new hires (early 20's) have in comparison to what I got in my program (2006-7). Teachers coming out of teacher programs lately are thoroughly prepared to teach the Common Core standards and to expect writing and textual evidence throughout the curriculum. My MAT program was more NCLB-era and was mostly focused on writing multiple-choice tests and teaching to the test. Maybe that was just my program, though.

21. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Apr 15, 2016

When I first began at my school, the school was dominated by young people. It has evened out a bit, but the rumor at the time was that my school was discriminating against older teachers.

22. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 16, 2016

I think it's more likely to happen to older teachers.

I was hired easily fresh out of college and even now with over twenty years of experience so I haven't personally experienced it.

23. renard

renard Companion

Apr 16, 2016

I am in Canada. I work in good district with high salaries (65-95k annual) and very low turnover. Most teachers are older. There is no "discrimination" against younger teachers, but it is very, very difficult to break in to. Being a sub is the only way, and even then, you can wait years.

24. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Apr 16, 2016

There are two things that people assume go together and they don't always: age and years of experience as teacher. As a career switcher I am hyper aware of how age is used when people really mean years of experience as a teacher.

DressageLady likes this.
  25. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

Apr 16, 2016

An interesting discussion going on here for sure.

26. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 16, 2016

We never hire first year teachers at my school. It's not an age thing, it's a lack of experience thing. My teammate has been at the school 17 years and has said she's never seen a first year teacher hired. I had 3 years of experience and was 25 when I was hired. It's typical in my area to only pay for up to 8 years of experience on the salary scale when someone switches districts, so it's not as common to get people with tons of experience applying since they'd be required to take a huge pay cut. However, there are several career changers at my school who only have a few years of teaching experience but are in their 40s or 50s.

czacza likes this.
  27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2016

We hire hardly any first year teachers as well...

28. renard

renard Companion

Apr 16, 2016

We dont have many 'older' new teachers here in Canada. Its quite rare. There is no alt cert or 'fast-track' anything. It's a two year full-time program post-degree if you only have a regular non-ed degree, so that deters a lot of career-changers due to time/financial constraints.

Here, inexperienced is almost always = young

29. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 16, 2016

My principal largely hires based on the needs of the team. She likes having a balance of young teachers and experienced teachers on a team. If there's an opening on a team with two experienced teachers, she'll try to get somebody right out of college. If there's a fairly inexperienced team, she'll try to get an in-district transfer with 10+ years. In general, I think principals like hiring younger teachers, because younger teachers will be more malleable towards the whims of administration, while older teachers are more likely to take any new initiatives with a grain of salt.

30. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 16, 2016

There is raging age discrimination against older teachers in our area.
    You'll often see, what I'll call "code words/terms" in job postings like, looking for a "dynamic" teacher or a "high-energy" teacher. Many of the school districts have reputation for not hiring anyone with more than one year experience and no higher than a bachelor's degree in order to keep salaries low.

A friend of mine in a New Jersey district got me an interview about 13 years ago. Since he knew one of the people on the interviewing team, about 2 weeks afterward he asked him (in private) why I wasn't selected, he responded, "You mean the old guy? Oh, well, he was good, but we wanted someone who was really "excited" (another code word) about teaching English."

31. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 16, 2016

I was a mid-life career changer. I went back to school and graduated with a degree in Elementary Education and received my credential as well as a literacy endorsement from the state department of education the summer I turned 50.
    I had a rock solid education, glowing references and I interviewed very well. I came to education from children's mental health/social services. I was a strong candidate and it still took me a year of applying and interviewing before I was hired as a teacher. I was much more qualified than my cohorts that I went through the university with. I know how they struggled. I was there. I saw it. And I saw them all get hired before me.
    I was in a No Man's land: I wasn't a fresh faced kid willing to except crap pay and I wasn't a seasoned teacher who could at least bring experience and a history of success (translation-a history of good test scores). Being okay with the crap pay was suspect apparently.
    It did happen for me eventually. I was hired as a first grade teacher and spend my first year thanking my lucky stars that I had found such a great fit. I was learning so much. It was such a supportive environment. I felt like I had found my school home.
    And then our amazing, inspirational principal was reassigned to the district office and a woman was promoted up from the classroom of another school. She had never been principal before, although she had served two stints as Vice-principal over a three year period. She came in hard and never really stopped being hard.
    And now the school I loved so much is different. I requested a transfer to another school. But the principal is building a case that I should be non-renewed. Maybe I am too old to put up with this stuff. I don't have the patience or the tolerance for this stuff.

32. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2016

Hi tayla,

In the UK the teaching profession is suffering more from experience discrimination which in many ways is age related. As schools ate taken away from local control and become academies with private sponsors the new managements get rid of thr expensive teachers and replace them with new entrants who are much cheaper.