Age Discrimination is Real - but can't prove it

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsGBakes, Apr 19, 2014.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2014

I don't think school districts care whether you vest into pension or not.

2. MsGBakes

MsGBakes Rookie

Apr 22, 2014

public schools take the money out of your check and put it in the pension plan whether you want it or not. the only thing you don't have to join is the teacher's union.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2014

Right... I'm confused. Sorry. :(

4. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Apr 23, 2014

They are way too young for a job that is unsupervised and has unlimited power with no accountability. Nobody under 50 and without at least 20-25 years in should be a principal. I am serious about that. Of course that view couldn't be policy because of age discrimination, but the fact is principals of yore were generally better than the garbage that are polluting the districts now. In the old days, principals were near retirement age, meaning near sixty, and with many, many years in the classroom.

It takes a high sense of ethics and maturity to successfully do a principal job. Younger people just don't have it, period.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2014

Wow.:dizzy:

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2014

I have a question; this is happening to me a little bit. I am in my mid 50's. Horrors. I'm a late bloomer. Didn't get hired by bigger district last year. Most all of the candidates had very little experience. Surprise, six of them didn't work out, for obvious reasons... I reapplied and interviewed at a job fair two weeks ago. Again, did not get hired.

So, here is my question; why are the districts so anxious to hire the ones fresh out of college who have NO experience? I don't get that. I am much more qualified than many of the ones that I was up against. Yes, I'm no spring chicken, but it doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone else get it?

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2014

Am I missing the "obvious" reasons those teachers didn't work? Seems you're implying they didn't because they had "very little experience"...

As to why fresh graduates are sometimes more appealing, there are a few possible reasons. Just to provide a couple, they are often more easily molded into the teacher desired and they may be working on creating certain dynamics on teams (for example, add a new teacher to a team of very experienced teachers...in part so the veterans can pass along their expertise to the new teachers).

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2014

I hear this a lot...in fact, I've heard it pretty much any time a position has opened up in a school I've worked in. True or not, the perception is that older teachers are "set in their ways" and will not change to fit in with a new staff. We are interviewing for my new teammate tomorrow. Just today my para, who is 47 herself, asked me to please pick someone younger because she didn't want to have to work for someone who was "set in their ways."

9. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2014

Yes they were not rehired because of their inexperience with classroom management and didn't get along with the other grade level teachers working as a team. I think the assumption that they are more mold able is just that. A big assumption. The principals were given the option. They had no say in who was hired last year. I also think they did not this year. Oh well. It's their prerogative.

10. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Apr 25, 2014

I am hitting nearly 50. I am looking for another job. I also know that if I get one it will be my last job. There will be no more moving.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 25, 2014

Wouldn't that be true for any new teacher-young or not?

Is this because of their youth?

Um...could it be that more "mature" teachers on the team didn't WANT to get along?

Just sayin'...

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 25, 2014

I get the reverse. I've been told other teachers know better than I because they've been in the district longer and they know how it works. It goes both ways.

13. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2014

It would depend on what kind of prior experience one had as a first year teacher. Having experience working on a team in the work place helps prepare a person for collaboration. And having other experience in classroom management with subbing, being an aide, volunteering, managing ones' own kids, does help prepare a person for the classroom experience.

I have seen many who can handle it well fresh out of college. I have seen many who do not have a clue what they are in for. Being young, naïve, and inexperienced in life can work to one's disadvantage when dealing with children, teens and parents. They seem to know when the teacher is "green", imo.