age appropriate (middle school) videos like "Barney"

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Dec 16, 2010.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2010

I have a kid who has very limited skills. He came to me very prompt dependent and has very limited skills in the area of independence.

At any rate, I taught him (systematically!) to use a big switch to access the computer. He likes watching videos from youtube and we taught him to hit the switch to "play" the videos from youtube.

He will sit in front of the computer and watch the videos. When it ends, he hits the switch and another one plays. This is HUGE for him (it doesn't sound like it, but it took a while to teach him this skill).

I am so proud that I taught him a leisure skill as well as an independence skill (he mouths everything so if we leave him alone for two seconds, he has a pen cap in his mouth, blocks in his mouth, crayon, etc.) He has a 1:1 assistant but there are times (lunch, etc.) that I just can't be on top of him 100%. He is engaged in 1:1 teaching for the majority of the day but there are just those times that I Need to keep him occupied (safely) but still manage my other 7 kids.

So, that's how this skill came up. It's also just great for him to do something so age appropriate (watch youtube videos!) without assistance. This is one of the only things he can do by himself.

Here's the kicker... he will ONLY stay seated and engaged with Barney videos. I am embarassed to admit that I did indeed let this take place because I was working on teaching the SKILL of the switch with intentions of later finding another video that was just as motivating. EVERYTHING in my classroom is totally age appropriate (as much as possible in a severe autism middle school class) - and I am looking for suggestions of things that I could try with him that he might like that would be remotely close to age appropriate.

I already tried national geographic videos (the animal series, etc.) and this was so boring for him, he stood up and spun away from the computer.

He really seems to like the music/singing. Does such a thing exist for an age appropriate video?

Music videos don't really work because he kinda likes that silly character/cartoonish component.... I don't know.

any suggestions? Now that I've got the switch working for him, I have GOT to find something other than Barney.

Throw the ideas at me!

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2010

How about the Magic School Bus series? It's a bit more mature, but still colorful. You could also try the old Schoolhouse Rock series. Some high school teachers show it to teach grammar.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2010

hmm... good suggestions! I will try them tomorrow.

Yes, even if we hit "elementary" level videos... I'd be happy.
    Haha.

5. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Dec 16, 2010

We had a Barney fan too

In the sp. ed. class I sometimes sub in we had a girl who sounds similar to your boy. We did get her to watch Miley (sp?) Cyrus videos from her old show. They were at least a little more age appropiate.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 16, 2010

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2010

Haha, I bet he would love that Muppets Video. But is that any better than Barney??

I will try the Miley Cyrus videos and Muppets tomorrow. I guess in thinking about it, Muppets at least looks better than Barney. Barney is just sooooo babyish.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 17, 2010

They Might Be Giants... Here Come the ABCs/123's/Science

I love them (OK, I only have the DVD of ABC's but I think it's hysterical)... TMBG started doing these because they were getting parents saying 'hey my kids really like your songs" and they're going "but they aren't subject-matter appropriate for kids" so they came up with kid-friendly ones :)

They're really funny, and what we were trying to get some of our older elementary and jr high kids on instead of Barney.

Justin Roberts is another one... but not sure if he has videos.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 17, 2010

Muppets seem to be a bit more mature than Barney :p More accessible for all ages.

They Might Be Giants is good too. They had a few "music videos" on a show in the 90s, Kablam!, which was on Nickelodeon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkVHdUkMJdk

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2010

My husband loves The Wiggles! The main performers are adults, so you could consider it appropriate for all ages.

11. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Dec 17, 2010

I just thought of another

The animaniacs did a couple of cartoons that were educational (kind of remind me of school house rock) One of them made a song of the names of all the states. My middle school students last week were singing it to me and they remembered all the states. He might not learn the names but he might enjoy it and it is age approp.

12. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Dec 17, 2010

Here are some ideas that are a little bit more age appropriate:

Arthur (Elementary)
    Martha Speaks (Elmentary)
    Curious George (Elementary)
    The Berenstain Bears (Elementary)
    Clifford (Elementary)
    Cyberchase (Elementary)
    The Cat in the Hat PBS Kids show (Elementary)
    Maya and Miguel (Elementary)
    Animalia (Older Elementary)
    *********** Wilson and Ditch is educational (Older Elementary) and they sing and is a cartoon
    ***** Fizzy's Lunch Lab (elementary) singing and cartoon and educational

*** The Electric Company (educational, elementary and cartoons and singing)

some of the clips of phenius and pherb singing he may like and that is middle school appropriate

Shaun the Sheep (age appropriate for middle school) cartoon and singing

13. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try those on Monday if they are available on youtube.

He did not like the muppets and had no interest in Miley Cyrus. I am not sure if it's the actual barney character? Or the singing + cartoon combo? I can't understand it but when we did anything other than Barney he would not activate the switch, as if to say, that's not my show, get what I want and then I'll activate it...

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2010

Is Cyberchase too sophisticated?

15. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2010

I don't know much about any of those suggestions but I am open to ideas at this point. Who knows, maybe one will work out.

He's pretty routine and ritualistic, and would be fine watching the same video over and over (which would be fine with me, as long as it is not Barney if you're happy and you know it)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2010

17. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Dec 18, 2010

I have a 16 year old who we do the same thing with. I found out he liked Shrek.

He likes the broadway musical Shrek. He will watch any broadway music episodes -- really likes shrek.

not age appropriate --- but kind of his

I like shrek

18. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Dec 18, 2010

I also have a student who only watches Whinne the Pooh and another who likes Aladin -- they r both 19 years old

19. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Dec 19, 2010

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

mom2mikey--thanks for that link. The activities will be perfect for one of our little guys on the spectrum; he loves the computer and we've been looking for something different.