Afternoon wrap up meeting?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by trayums, Jul 3, 2010.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2010

Hi all,
    I am planning for next year and would really love to do some sort of closing circle/afternoon wrap up this year. I do morning meeting every morning but not afternoon anything. I wasn't able to do it last year because we had specials from 2:00-3:00 which is the very end of the day.
    Anyway- my questions are: Do you do this? If so, how? What do you do? etc.

:)

3. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 3, 2010

I have never tried this but my nephew came over the other night and said they play "Recap" a game at the end of school. The teacher puts on a cap and basically asks questions from that day. He thought it was the best thing in the world. Just a thought.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2010

That's a great idea!!!! Thank you Kacieann! Love it!

5. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 3, 2010

"Recap"....that is a really neat idea! I have 5th graders, so I could see them taking leadership of the activity at some point. A selection of many types of hats...fun ones, career ones, students favorite hats, etc....would be neat, maybe, or do you think that it might take away from the seriousness of the activity? :)

My students are Bus Buddies with the Kindergarten students, but not all of them are needed, so that leaves me having to "shut down" class 7 minutes early every afternoon. This would be an excellent activity for that time. Thanks so much...I can't wait to give a try! :)

6. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 3, 2010

I did something similar this past year with my third graders. I had a beach ball and tossed it to a student, when they caught it they had to say something they learned today and then they would pass it to another student. The kids pretty much had leadership over the game and I would just help them out if they got stuck and didn't know what to say. If they said something like "Today I learned about fractions" I would prompt them to be more specific. It was great and the kids LOVED it!

This year I might try "Recap" with my second graders :)

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 3, 2010

I wanted to try this last year. At the end of the day I would read a story to the students and then sometimes I would just let them talk. But there would always be like an extra 5 mins. I will def do this. I love it.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2010

I love the idea of the different caps. I might do a different one for each day of the week? Monday-something you learned today? Tuesday- Something you worked really hard on today? Wednesday- Something you did to be a good friend today? Thursday- Tell about your favorite activity today? Friday- What are you doing this weekend?
    Something like that? What do you all think?

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 3, 2010

Thats a really good idea. But I would worry about hats and lice. I might do something like pass a different wand or pointer around.

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2010

agreed! These ideas are great!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2010

How about taking some of the 'morning meeting' ideas from Responsive Classroom and make it afternoon wrap up?

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2010

I was thinking I would risk messing up my hair and wear the hats! LOL :)

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 3, 2010

My brain is reeling right now~~~I love all of these "recap ideas". I love to hear my little boy tell me what he learned or something special from his day. I think it would be a great review and would keep the kids from going home and saying they did "nothing" when their parents ask what they did at school. I can't wait to use this with my class!!!!

14. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 3, 2010

That is a great idea to have a different emphasis for each day of the week. Having a special hat for each day would be a great visual and help the kids focus on each day's specific question.

Later on, when the students have come to identify each hat with a particular emphasis, a person could randomly choose a hat. That way the students would be thinking in terms of applying all the questions to their day before a hat is chosen...if that makes any sense at all!!

I hadn't thought about head lice...good point. We have not had to deal with that in a very long time, knock on wood AND cross your fingers!! :)

15. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 3, 2010

The beach ball idea is great one, too! :)

16. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 3, 2010

I liked the idea of using a different type question each day, and this really takes it a step further! I think this could have positive results in the classroom because it would get the students thinking about their part in learning / community. Good thinking all!

17. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 4, 2010

My school is focused on bullying this year. I can see this as a 'bucket-filling' activity. Maybe students could tell someting they learned or something good they saw or did...

18. SadieLady

SadieLady Rookie

Jul 4, 2010

Closing Meeting

I do a closing meeting each afternoon. We do two things:

1. A student is chosen to share one new thing we learned that day. In the beginning of the year it may be as simple as "We learned all of our classmates favorite foods." I write it on a strip of colored paper called a "learning link" and the student attaches it to the ledge underneath the board. Once we have filled the ledge with learning links we have a "Celebration of Learning".

2. We also do a quick share. I have a bunch of questions on cards in a can (How did you help a friend today? How did you show responsibility today? What is one thing that you found challenging today? etc). I choose a question and pass around a stuffed toy - for instance, a pumpkin for Halloween - when the toy is passed to you, you may share your response.

I love this way of wrapping up our day!

19. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 4, 2010

SadieLady what other questions do you use?

20. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 4, 2010

What does the "Celebration of Learning" look like? Great idea!

21. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2010

Teacher Chele- I am So excited too! Everyone has such wonderful ideas. I am truly excited to have my afternoon wrap ups next year. I agree with another above poster that it will help the kids celebrate their learning and accomplishments and will also help avoid the "nothings" as an answer to the parent question... What did you do today? lol Thanks all for your wonderful responses!!!!

22. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 5, 2010

LOVE it!! Thanks!

23. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 5, 2010

I may get a cap and put a big "RE" on the front of it (maybe I could get a different cap each month for fun).

24. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 5, 2010

I learned this from my cooperating teacher during student teaching and have used it ever since . . .

One of my classroom jobs is "facilitator." This student is responsible for running our class meeting every Monday and for leading the class in our end of the day reflections.

With five minutes to go, the facilitator gets up in front of the class and asks "What did we do well today? What do we need to work on?". Students raise their hands and reflect on their day. Sometimes I add something, but I usually let them do most of the reflecting - they are very honest! After comments from individual students, the facilitator asks for a vote.

1 (horrible day) - 5 (amazing day) --- at the beginning of the year they need guidance to know what really makes a 5, etc.

The points they give themselves go toward a goal they set for a class reward.

25. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 5, 2010

you could probably make one on Vista Print. :p

26. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 5, 2010

I'm excited about these suggestions. Especially as a teacher approaching my 1st school year... I'm really going to use these ideas to reflect on the kids first days of school... and keep it going throughout the year and just switch the questions..

27. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 5, 2010

I love this idea. I'm going into a Montessori prek/k (1st year) and I really love this idea. I think I will extend it by having the questions typed up on cardstock and have a recap basket (saw this basket hat at a thrift store today... going to have to go back and get it!) and let each child pull a card out of the hat... read it and answer the question.

In the beginning maybe focus on one question a week until i get through all the questions and then at the end allow all the questions be in the hat and be pulled from randomly.

28. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 6, 2010

We do a wrap up called "wows" and "pows". Each student tells the class 1 thing that they liked about the day (wow) and they tell about 1 thing that was not so great about the day (pow). They really look forward to this time to be heard.

29. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2010

cheer- that's a great idea! Love it!!

30. NewToo

NewToo New Member

Jul 6, 2010

I love this play on words! I might use your idea this year!

31. TeachFirst123

TeachFirst123 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

I love all of these ideas of having a recap at the end of the day! I'm definitely going to try this next year. Last year when we would have a couple of minutes to spare at the end of the day, I would chant, "Hey! Hey! What do you say? (name of child) what did you learn today?" Then that child would have to tell me something they learned.

32. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2010

Perfect TeachFirst! Love love love!

33. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 7, 2010

I like that idea TeachFirst... a lot more fun!

34. sally reading

sally reading Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

teach first

I did the same thing last year, but before we would say the chant, I would have them all think of something-academically or behaviorally and good or bad, then pull a name (mine was a class set of names on sticks) so they would all be ready to say something. It was amazing when they could relate something such as: I will not run in the halls or etc. This was also something that if they listened they could say to parents when they asked them what they did in school.

35. teachindakidz

teachindakidz New Member

Jul 7, 2010

I've always liked the idea of a Read-Aloud at the end of the day. This way students are generally quiet and calm for dismissal. Afterwards, you could have them complete a quick journal assignment after the read aloud so they are working quietly and independently.

36. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

If you're going to use hats, could you try the different colours of de Bono's hats and ask questions according to the colour of hat?

Also, how about the plastic party hats (the ones like a trilby)? Using plastic hats avoids the problem of head lice and they stack so won't take up much space.

37. SadieLady

SadieLady Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

More Questions and Celebration of Learning Ideas

More question ideas:
    -What was the best/worst part of your day?
    -What was easy/challenging for you today?
    -How were you being a responsible/respectful/reasonable student?
    -When did you use your active listening skills today?
    -What is one thing you need to work on for tomorrow?
    -How will you be helpful to the guest teacher tomorrow?
    -How will you prepare for tomorrow's test?
    -On a scale of 1-5 how difficult was today's test?

Celebration of Learning ideas:
    -Cuddle up and Read Day
    -Hot Chocolate Mug Exchange
    -Tent City activities (students build "tents" using fitted bed sheets and their desks)
    -Breakfast and Books

At the end of the year I pass back all of the learning link strips and we review all of the wonderful things we've learned throughout the year. Each student gets to take home about 9 learning link strips.

38. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 14, 2010

I disagree. If you can get head lice from using an infected person's plastic comb, you can get it from a plastic hat.

It's not a pleasant topic, but having an outbreak in the classroom due to ignorance of this issue would be upsetting.