Afternoon Meeting

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Bridiecakes, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Bridiecakes

Bridiecakes Companion

Jul 30, 2007

This year I would like to have an afternoon meeting at the end of our day. I would like to "wrap the day up". Does anyone currently do this? What types of activities might I do at this time? I only plan on having it be for like 15 minutes. Thanks in advance!

;)

3. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Good question, can't wait to hear the great ideas!

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

I don't have an official 'meeting' but I do have the kids gather in calendar corner with their stuff all packed up. I will give them any reminders or notes from the office then. Mostly, I will read poems to them or we sing songs. It's a really nice way to calm them down before the hallway. :angel: :cool:

5. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

I read a great idea here last month that I'm going to use...
    (Can't remember whose idea it was, sorry!)

Pass around a basket of bean bags of various colors. I believe the original poster always had the bean bag colors represent the same thing, i.e. red=angry, blue=sad, green= excited, yellow= happy, etc. (I am going to modify and make the bean bags stand for different things on different days- maybe some days will be "What was your favorite part of the day?" red=math, blue=reading, green=music, orange=science, etc.) Volunteers can share why they chose that color bean bag, or it's a great way to observe the thoughts/feelings of not-so-vocal students. Also, having the kids say at the end of the day something they learned/did might (but probably not!) change the answer to the old 'what did you do in school today?' question.

I'll also pull from a box where students have written compliments to others that they have "caught being good or kind".

Reminders & possibly a quick read-aloud.

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 30, 2007

I don't call it a meeting, per se but we do gather together at the end of the day on the rug. The kids stack their chairs and get their stuff ready. We sit on the floor and read a chapter book and talk about what is happening tomorrow. We also listen to a "calming down" song and hand out the stuffed animal to go home as well as choose out of the prize box.

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

Interactive writing would be great to do at the end of the day! I do an interactive writing activity everyday (time permitting) of what we learned today, what was our favorite part of the day, a sneak peek of what we are doing tomorrow etc. It's a great way to fit in literacy in your day when time is tight! And its a good way to keep their minds going, especially when mom/dad says, "what did you learn in school today?";)

8. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

We have our afternoon wrap up after we have packed bags. It is a time for me to read aloud from our latest chapter book and then I choose 1 or 2 students who have been "Spotted Being Good" for something during the day. First we decide on a cheer (lots of fun cheers on Dr. Jean's website) so that when I call the student up we can cheer for them. I give them a happy gram that has their name and what they were spotted for. They also get a little fruit snack. After this we do "Bubble Up" and "Bubble Down"...which is basically if they want to share something good or not so pleasant about the day they put their thumb up or down so I know to call on them...and I ALWAYS end with a "Bubble Up" of course! ;)

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

My afternoons can be rushed because dismissal is at 2:30 and often the children don't come back from specials until 2:25.

Usually they're back around 2:15 and what I do is read them a seasonal story ~ or catch up on science/social studies big book. Later in the year we pray a little of the Rosary after the story, and by that time, the bell has rung!

I would love to do an afternoon meeting though!

:hugs: