Afternoon lull

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dizzykates, Aug 16, 2010.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 16, 2010

The last week or two I have been hit with a terrible headache and exhaustion around 2pm. Today I tried to push through it instead of laying down, but instead by 2:30 I was ready to throw up. I took a bath, drank a big glass of a water and had some chips and cheese, but my head still throbs!! I need to get up and make dinner and we have friends coming over at 5:30 so either we eat before or we eat later, much later. Ugh.

Do you hit an afternoon lull? What do you do?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 16, 2010

I'm sorry you've been feeling this way. If I've been staying up very late the last couple nights (like 2am) or so, I'll feel sleepy in the afternoon, but I don't have an ill feeling. Every once in a blue moon, I may get a headache in the evening time. Thank God it's not often. So it sounds like your dist hasn't started school again yet. I've read in a magazine to press & hold your index finger & thumb in the webbed area of skin of your (opposite) hand that's btwn your index finger & thumb for 60 sec to stop a headache.

4. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 16, 2010

No, we start again in two weeks. I should say, this isn't a new development, it just seems more constant. I typically get a head ache in the afternoon, but rarely something I can't just ignore.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 16, 2010

I've been having that problem too, dizzy. Whenever I get a bad headache or overtired, I get nauseous, so they all go together for me. I think most of it is that I'm not getting enough sleep, and maybe that I never eat a good breakfast. I try to take care of those, but there just aren't enough hours in a day. Maybe eat small meals throughout the day to boost your energy?

6. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

If it is continuous, I would suggest seeing your doctor. That sounds awful. :( I hope you feel better soon.

*Are you drinking enough water? I have been known to get really dehydrated, and it often starts presenting as a headache, but can also make you exhausted as well. Gets bad enough, throwing up will happen, too.

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 16, 2010

How are you sleeping, eating, drinking water? Any differently? Are you in a hot area where you're getting it from the change in weather (I feel sick if I go from hot to cold and vice versa too quickly) like going from the outdoors to a/c?

Do you take vitamins? Are you overly stressed?

listen to your body and see what would help you feel better...if it's a nap, sleep, if you're thirsty drink something with electrolytes like gatorade or apple juice, etc. You may just be off balanced from something. I hope this helps!

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 16, 2010

The accupressure point Ms.I referred to works well on certain types of headaches. Even better if someone else applies the pressure for you while you close your eyes and relax.

I'm curious about your hydration, too.

Do you usually get nauseated from headaches?

Could you be allergic to something that blooms, blows around in the afternoons? Is the headache behind your eyes?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2010

Afternoon tea.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010

Make sure you are hydrated. I would also suggest a neti pot to clear allergens and sinus build up. I used to get those same headaches and I don't anymore.

I also started taking L-Tryptophan, which is an amino acid supplement (yes, the stuff in turkey). It increases your seratonin development, but it also makes you sleep better at night. I love it. I used to just come home from work and totally crash but now I can make it through that slump. You can get it at The Vitamin Shoppe.

11. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 16, 2010

Have you had your blood sugar levels checked lately?

12. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 17, 2010

I've had blood panels done all summer due to my miscarriage and every week they said everything was good, so I know my iron, sugar and stuff looks good.

Good point on the hydration, I tend to forget about that...today I will work harder at that! Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2010

Remember that foods like fruit, squash, and soup have a lot of water in them too. Anything without caffeine and alcohol will hydrate you. I always feel like I have to get all this water in but sometimes - blech- i just don't want it. But it doesn't always have to be water.