After Watching Stand and Deliver I Have a Different View of Mr. Jaime Escalante

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by a2z, Jul 16, 2020.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2020

In some circles Jaime Escalante is spoke of as a miracle worker. While he certainly is a martyr, I no longer think he is the miracle worker that many articles I have read made him out to be.

No doubt he knew how to inspire enough students to strive to achieve and many who had shut down. But after seeing how many extra hours over multiple years to get these kids to success, it isn't as miraculous to me. I don't say that to diminish what he did. He is exceptional, but so were all of the students. It was the extra hours they put in and he was willing to provide that allowed them to be successful.

His desire for students to succeed certainly did spur more to strive for the best which is incredible in a school that have students who were subjected to years of low expectations.

It really hit home how kids, even with no disabilities, would have to put in so many extra hours to come up to speed with a teacher who is really good. It is so frustrating when I see kids getting behind because their chance of ever catching up is slim to none.

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 16, 2020

I think his first cohort or two of students had to double up, but as the pipeline became established that was no longer the process. A colleague who student taught at Garfield told me when she was there, quite a while after Mr.Escalante left, AP Calculus was no longer being offered. I just Googled the school, and it is currently a listed course.

4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jul 17, 2020

I saw that movie when it 1st came out. Now you make me want to go back and watch it again. Kids motivational levels were probably different back then.

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2020

They did more than double up. They doubled up. They came early, they came on Saturday, and they stayed late often. And this wasn't just for one year.

readingrules12 likes this.
  6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2020

I am thinking that not all of the kids from the original class were that motivated. It did portray that he let those who didn't want to do what it took to leave with the hopes they would come back.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Jul 17, 2020

I actually just watched it the other day. There has to be student buy in. If they weren't willing to come on Saturday, or stay after, or whatever, he wouldn't have been able to accomplish what he did. You can say the same for Dangerous Minds and Freedom Writers. Yes, a lot of it is the kids believing that their teacher believes in them. But if they won't put in the work, you can teach all day and it won't help. In Freedom Writers, she has them write to Miep Guise (sp) from Anne Frank. It's an amazing story. But what if they weren't willing to read the book in the first place to be inspired? A good teacher can do so much, but the students have to be willing.

Tired Teacher and stargirl like this.