after the "no thank you"

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jennstarr12, Nov 21, 2008.

1. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Nov 21, 2008

I just got a letter about a job i REALLY wanted basically saying "no thank you". I dont who was hired yet but I do know I was at least more qualified for the job than 2 of the others interviewed. Would it be bad/weird to email the principal thanking her and stuff but also asking in some way why the heck not me? lol

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2008

I don't see any harm in asking.

But know that in NJ there are hundreds of applicants for every elementary school position. So the odds are very good that the reason is that you were a very close contender, but they just wanted to go with someone else.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 21, 2008

Jenn,
    Many people are not gutsy enough to ask, so they never find out. However, I would take a slightly different approach. Instead of asking why you didn't get the job (which may or may not get your the truth -- for example if they hired someone because they were related to someone, they are NOT going to tell you that) I'd put it this way...

"I really want to work with XYZ School. What can I do to make myself the next teacher you are going to hire? What areas should I work on to make myself a teacher who would meet your needs?"

You might get more insight this way.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2008

Love Rainstorm's advice!

6. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Nov 21, 2008

Don't ask why you didn't get it. Instead ask them if you can have some feedback. They still might say no, or make an excuse, but that is a common way to ask why you didn't get a position.