After the interview waiting!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by PenCelia, Mar 25, 2007.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Mar 25, 2007

Hi:
    I have two years teaching experience in Va. I had to leave NH to actually get a teaching job. At the end of last summer I decided to move back to NH. The problem is that teaching jobs are hard to get around here. I have no problem getting the interview. It's just that I don't get picked. I am again waiting to hear back for a long term position. I interviewed on Thursday and he the vice principal told me I'd hear back on Friday after they interviewed two more people. Well I never heard back. I don't know what to think. I thought my interview went well. I just want my own classroom. I don't know if it is something I'm saying or doing at the interview that makes people not want me. My interview for my VA job was done over the phone. I am dressing appropriately. The problem is that I look young. One of my teacher friend said she thinks principals think I look young and I'm small so they doubt I can handle the class. She said its the farthest thing from the truth. I did have a very tough class last year and I'm honest about that too. I don't know what to think. What are some things they can convey the message that I really want to teach in the school where I'm being interviewed? How can I tell if the interview goes well? Do you think I may still have a chance since I haven't heard from the vice-principal yet? It breaks my heart that I know I'm a good teacher yet can't get a job. I'm thirty and just want to be able to teach. I moved back to this area because all my family and friends are here but I'm losing heart. I've done the mock interviews and get good response from that. What is going on?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2007

Have you hit the interview thread here?

Over the break, why don't you and a friend do a mock interview? Have her ask the questions on the thread and critique your answers.

Could your answers be to practiced? Not enough of "you" in them?

I think it's time to call the VP and ask about the status of your application. .

Or, better yet: Write him and be completely honest. Tell him just how much you want to teach in his school, and why. Then tell him that, because you want it so much, you sense that your nervousness may have sabotaged your interview. Ask for the opportunity to come in and teach a sample lesson. Whatever grade, whatever topic they're up to-- you just want him to have the chance to see what you can really do in a classroom setting.

What do you have to lose?

4. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Apr 9, 2007

Wow! Two weeks later the saga continues. I had called the school on Tuesday of last week because the Monday before he left message saying they were checking my references. So they hadn't called back. I noticed the position was reposted on Monday, so Friday I called and asked to speak to the vp. The person who answered the phone went to look for him but said he already left for the day. Se then said her name. Ahhh I recognized it as the principal. She seemed friendly and was like oh Hi......... he will be calling you to talk with on Monday. Hmmmm What do you think is going on? Needless to say I'll be on near the phone all day.

I also didn't know that there is a job thread. Which board is it on???

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2007