After the CAHSEE

Discussion in 'High School' started by mrsroos, Jul 15, 2014.

1. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Jul 15, 2014

I am currently teaching a CAHSEE prep to seniors at a continuation school for 4 weeks. Once the CAHSEE is done they still have a week and a half and I need to keep them motivated and engaged so I was going to work on literary terms and then show a movie at the end where they can pick out examples of each term. With it being High School I want something that will engage them but not bore them at the same time. Do any of you lovies have any ideas??? All are GREATLY appreciated! I want them to enjoy and relax after the CAHSEE so i'm trying my best to make it fun!

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2014

How about doing some transition mini lessons: resume writing, mock job interviews, how to ask for letters of recommendation, filling out job applications, filling our apartment rental applications, career interest surveys and potential career training sites for those careers, etc.

4. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jul 15, 2014

I agree with Special-t about transition lessons. You can do looking for an apartment, applying for a job, buying a car, filling out applications. I used to show People's Court videos about all of those areas. We would use them as conversation starters. What can go wrong and how do you deal with it? it kept things real.

5. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Jul 16, 2014

Thanks

I really like both of these ideas :) thanks! But sadly, since I am working at a continuation school they work on items like that in a 'real world' class. So that is yet another reason why I feel super stuck on what to do :confused:

But thank you both so much :)

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2014

Could you interface with the real-world teacher to find out about missing assignment the kids could catch up on? Or ask if there are any related activities the students could work on in your class to supplement the real world class?

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

Do you have access to technology for the class? They could work with free video creation websites (animoto is a good one that I've used, but there are a ton) to create a personal project that connects to what they've been learning somehow. I worked with alt. ed. high schoolers who had to create a video about their school experience as a part of their senior portfolio and most of them loved doing it.

8. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Jul 16, 2014

I didn't think about that! I'm just filling in for a teacher who didn't want her summer school slot. I will definately see what the other teacher will say about it :)