After-School Study Session

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by glitterfish, Apr 21, 2009.

1. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Apr 21, 2009

Seven of my students did not pass their standardized test in math on the 2nd try. We have a third try coming up in mid-May. This group of students are so low in math and they really do continue to make progress; it just wasn't enough. I am considering calling each of their parents and inviting their children to a free tutoring session after school once or twice per week to prepare for the test. However, I was feeling a bit strange about it. For example, parents may ask why they're not just learning it in class/why I'm not teaching it in class. (The reason being, of course, that we have much more to cover in our math lessons and have to move on.) Or maybe they think that 4th grade seems a bit early for study sessions. Or they might feel like, if THAT many students in my class failed, I must be a horrible teacher. What are your thoughts? Does this seem like an appropriate activity to offer? Has anyone done something like this before? Is it ok to offer this only to these specific kids and not the rest of the class?

3. capfortune

capfortune Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

Unfortunately there might be some children who never pass their test no matter how hard they try because they just don't have the mathematical ability. If you offered to tutor them you would have to say to the parents that this was no guarantee that they would pass but you would do you best to help them. Testing has become too important a part of education. Education is more than testing.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2009

I think that it's wonderful of you to be considering this; you obviously care about herlping your students be as successful as they can be. Have you talked to your administrator about your plan? If not, I would make that your first step--be sure you have administrative support. When you contact parents, you don't need to give specifics as to how many students will be involved. Present this as an opportunity for their child to receive some additional tutoring and support, looking towards improving their results in standardized testing.