After school events

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MathGuy82, Jan 29, 2017.

1. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Jan 29, 2017

How many after school events do you go to (these are the events that students are at)? (Like gamenight, pizza parties, and events that occur at school)? I like to go when I can but feel guilty if I can't go. It seems like our school is offering more and more events. Students ask me to go and lately I've said I can't go to these school sponsored events all the time? I've been teaching at this school 5 years and this year it's seems like more than ever after school events this year. I've noticed that many of the other teachers won't go all the time to these and they need more teachers to come (as said in meetings). Sometimes I'm just plain tired and want to go home. Do you think sometimes a school offers too much outside time? Our school never said that teachers must go but it was said it's good if we can go.

3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jan 29, 2017

I might help out with math and reading nights, occasionally. But pizza and game nights? No.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 29, 2017

My max is one a month. I don't mind going to stuff occasionally, but my own kid comes first.

MathGuy82 and Backroads like this.
  5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 29, 2017

I go when I want to go. No guilt is involved.

Sometimes I want to go because I think I'll enjoy the activity. Sometimes I want to go because a student asked me to. Sometimes I want to go because my admin has expressed a need for more support. The key is - I have to WANT to do it.

MathGuy82 and cocobean like this.
  6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 29, 2017

We don't have after school events like these. (this is a very small school). If I was working at a large high school with several after school events, I would go maybe once month, if I wanted to and had the time, but I wouldn't feel guilty if I didn't.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 29, 2017

We don't have too many activities. If we are required to go to one, it's already in the contract. Otherwise, guilt-free choice.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2017

I'll attend most things that my students may be involved in--concerts, talent show, curriculum-related evenings, after school games or tournaments. I don't feel obligated, but make the choice to go when I can.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  9. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 1, 2017

Cool! Thanks for the replies. Feel a little better now!

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2017

I realize this isn't the same everywhere, but teachers make an extremely low salary in comparison to the COL in my area. My private sector friends with similar (or even lower) education and experience are literally making double or triple my salary. I just saw a study that showed that after 10 years of experience, a truck driver will start making more than a teacher with a MA degree and 10 years of experience (and continue to make more each year after the 10 year mark) in my state. Personally, I have taken the stance that if I'm not going to get the "perk" of a nice salary, then I will take the "perk" of the time off that teaching offers. I don't work long hours and as a general rule I don't work on weekends or breaks. That includes attending nighttime school events. I think that part of the reason things will never change (in my area) is that teachers continue to be martyrs and constantly go ridiculously above and beyond while accepting an extremely meager salary. If the district wants us to put in more hours, they can pay us for them.

11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 1, 2017

I attend sometimes. More often I skip than attend, although I do attend probably one even every 6 weeks or so. Some teachers go to everything, and some go to nothing. I go to some because I feel like I need to pull my weight, but really, I'd rather have the downtime.

12. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 2, 2017

I agree!! Not only that it can be quite tiring and make the whole day seem like 13 hours long.