After School Clubs??

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by sarsah3, Jul 12, 2007.

1. sarsah3

sarsah3 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Does anyone run any clubs? I am considering asking my principal if I can have a book club with kids and/or parents? I am just wondering what those of you do.

3. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 12, 2007

I have a science club for 2nd and 3rd grade. We meet for 1/2 an hour once a month and complete experiments.

One of my colleagues has a stamp club. They work with stamp collecting (not sure exactly what they do.)

We also have an after school stock market club for 6th grade, a cup stacking club for 4th and up, and a photo club.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

We have a garden club (we have a courtyard so it makes it easy). My friend runs that and they do a lot of activities in the fall and the spring.

I received a grant to start an afterschool club this year. I'm in the process of figuring all of the logistics out. I'm excited! Its a community service and school spirit club for 2nd and 3rd graders.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

We have an after school fitness club.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

What grade/level are you in?

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2007

Our school has art club, various sports, beading, sometimes ecology, cooking (for K-2), Spanish, computer. I usually tutor so I don't do a club. This year, though, I am going to do a math 'club' for kids who are below grade level or just squeaking by.

At our school, you charge for the club, school collects the money, takes 20 or 15%, and gives you the rest.

8. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 12, 2007

Our school has a garden club, a chess club, and an FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). The FCA actually meets on Friday mornings before school. We're a relatively new school and clubs are just starting to pop up. There probably are a couple more, but I'm in Kinder, a world to our own!

I think a BOOK CLUB is a FABULOUS idea! And so timely...with Oprah making them popular again, who could possible have a problem with it?! :-D

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

I run the newspaper staff. (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.)

I have ideas for guest speakers this coming year as well as different focuses. We meet every other Thursday afternoon.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

I'm the sponsor and adviser (advisor looks better, but my spell check says it's the wrong spelling) for our school's Junior Classical League. The JCL is a national organization for students of Latin and ancient Greek.

We do community service events, fundraising to attend conventions, and compete at state and national conventions. The kids participate in written tests (Latin grammar, derivatives, mythology, Roman life and customs, etc.), Olympika (chariot races, gladiatorial combat, foot races, etc.), and a whole bunch of other things.

We meet weekly on Thursday afternoons. I get a small stipend from the school, but I'd do it for free.

11. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 13, 2007

How cool is that. Boy, I wish we taught Latin in our school (how often do you hear THAT??!!) Great idea for a club!

12. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

my children have a homework club, rock wall club,chess club,cooking and more. they have a routine six week session. they love it.

13. teach101

teach101 Companion

Jul 13, 2007

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

Thank you for the link! At my alma mater, North Dakota State University, the acceptable term was 'adviser.'

As a Latinist, it's easy for me to see the argument either way. Latin gives us many words in English describing a person, and we usually spell these words with an 'or' ending: doctor, actor.

We also get these sorts of words from other languages or directly from Middle English, but they're often spelled with an 'er': teacher, lawyer.

Eh.

15. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jul 15, 2007

We have so many clubs at our school. The card club is one the boys love (not Vegas cards, but trading cards), dance club, spirit club, Beta club, drama club, FACS club and I sponsor the National Junior Honor Society which is a service club.

16. VA2500

VA2500 Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

some survival tips for club sponsors.
    Survival tips.
    Allow the kids to do the work.
    You have the last word on all decisions.

Set up a system of pay for work. This can be science money rather than US $. If they sell candy, so many dollars, pizza so many dollars, help with the science fair so many dollars. Your treasurer will have to keep tabs on all of this. For a large club you will need two treasurers, one for auditing.

Have a goal - field trips are always popular. Kids who have earned so many science dollars can go. Maybe they can buy part of their way to the field trip ( 5 US $ = 1 science dollar) but at least part of their cost should be paid for in science dollars. This is a great incentive to participate, the rich kids cannot just buy their way in without active participation in the club. Also field trips are a privilege not a right. If a student misbehaves or cannot be trusted they do not have the privilege of attending a field trip.

More tips at

http://www.wetheteachers.com/viewfiles.php?fid=319

VA

17. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jul 15, 2007

We have...an art club, an environmental club, a student council, a music club, and a homework club. This is for various elementary grades.

18. sarsah3

sarsah3 Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Thank you all so much! You have given me great ideas.

19. apple82

apple82 New Member

Jul 27, 2007

We have a model train club

20. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

I am planning on a homework club for all ELL students in the building. Although I may have to open it to any interested students. I'm in the process of checking that out.

21. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Some very nice ideas, thank you.

I have an NHS club (National Honor Society). When I picked up the club it was in pieces and I am trying to figure out how to build it up. The ideas on this thread are awsome. I cannot wait to try a few!

I am thinking about starting a science club too. Not too sure what we would do, though.

22. curlyone

curlyone Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

Me too! I took over as advisor last year shortly before new member selection. O man, what a disaster. The by-laws had not been revised for many years, leaving what seemed to be many loopholes. I spent at least a month researching other chapter by-laws and studying the national handbook so I could revise our by-laws. Insane! In the end it all worked out. I LOVE working with my NHS kids! Our chapter service project was a BLAST!

23. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Lucky you. Most of my kids are in so they can list NHS on their applications. Getting them to do stuff is hard! I've got some ideas for this year that I hope will work.

24. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

And part of the few ingredients to any student club...

At least 1 or 2 goal projects for the group for the year...I like one for service, one for the kids to have fun

Regular meetings, attendance every so many sessions is mandatory to maintain membership

A treasurer to collect $$$

And guests are always appreciated!