after school club ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HufflePuff, Mar 9, 2009.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Mar 9, 2009

i was recently hired as a middle school teacher and would like to do a club after school...i just can't think of anything to do!! any ideas? the basic typical clubs are already taking place. i am trying to think of something different, fun, and educational...and not overwhelming!

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2009

At my school, the students have to propose new clubs, which I think is a good idea. Then you know you will have participation. Why not ask the kids?

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2009

How about a craft club? I advise one at my HS. This spring the girls are using knitting looms to make baby hats for a charity.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 9, 2009

Two of our teachers teamed up to start a fitness club. We also have a newspaper club and a sewing club.

6. LoriVincent

LoriVincent Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

Reading/Book/Library Club
    Future ______of America Middle School Club
    Spirit Club
    Volunteers Club
    School Reporters Club
    Arts Club

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 9, 2009

That's a really good idea! Instant buy-in.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2009

Our school has a chess club, "books and bagels", news and culture, culinary club, woodworking club, art club, ecology club, fitness club, and probably even more that I can't think of!

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 9, 2009

I do Chess Club at our school, but my observation is this -- a club should meet the needs or interests of the students. If you are totally new to this school and you don't yet know the needs or interests of the students, and you aren't even certain of your regular workload, I wouldn't be so quick to add something like an afterschool club. Just a piece of unsolicited advice, but I'd wait and see how much of a load you will be carrying in terms of prep for the classes you are teaching.

If you want to do a club to "get noticed," I think it might be best to get noticed for your teaching ability first, and then add to your reputation by doing something more, like a club. It is very easy to start off by taking on too much, getting overwhelmed, and doing nothing well -- which makes for a terrible impression.

If you are doing it strictly to be doing something for the students, I would wait to get to know these students and see what they want and what would meet their needs, before jumping into something. Then you would be better able to provide something that meets their needs.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 9, 2009

I taught a cooking class once a week to 3rd-5th graders. I had two classes of 20 each, and they filled up fast. Mind you, it took a lot of prep.

11. angeleyesjg24

angeleyesjg24 New Member

Mar 9, 2009

Two of the most popular clubs in my school is CSI (they get to do mock investigations) and school spirit *they make posters, teacher encouragements, etc.)

My club? Comic books. It is a small, but unique group that I love. :)

~Anna

12. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Mar 10, 2009

PLEASE tell me how you do this (comic books)! this is what i want to do but i don't know how to go about doing it. what are the activities that you do?

thanks for your help guys! giving me some good ideas...

and rainstorm...good advice. something to think about...

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2009

What are YOUR Interests?

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2009

I run a chapter of Girls on the Run (called Girls on Track at the middle school level), and it's hugely popular. It's a national organization that you have to be a part of, but you could easily adapt their ideas into a running/walking club.
    Kim