After School activity ideas needed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2012

So, I was recently hired to help teach the afterschool program. Next week will be tranings and meetings where we will discuss things that we can do with the kids. So far, I came up with:

Lego Architecture (more for the 3rd graders, they can build neat buildings with legos)

Origami (I was big into this when I was in high school)

Calligraphy (Someone else would have to teach this :rolleyes:)

Clay/Sculpture

Fun writing projects (thinking comic books, comic strips, plays, any others???)

Cooking (obviously, with no actual cooking taking place, so I'm a bit stuck on how to make this work, but I would love to run this...)

Already decided upon/suggested so far:
    PE/sports
    game boards
    homework
    music (recorders)
    computer lab

Any other fun, neat ideas?

This is a brand new program so we also need to come up with ideas on how we are going to run the program, like how to rotate the kids, etc.

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 22, 2012

I've worked in 3 different after school programs (and I actually just got hired to teach 1st grade in an after school program), so I've seen a lot of what works and what doesn't. ;) The thing I really like about after school is that you can sometimes implement things that kids might not be able to do during the school day.

I see you've already mentioned this, but one year I did a "clay club" with 1st-3rd graders - we started out making different kinds of clay/play dough, and ended up using "real" clay to actually create their own pottery bowls. (Someone on staff had access to a kiln.) It was really fun!

I've also been in charge of a few science clubs over the years. Those are ALWAYS popular.

I worked in a program that had a cooking club. One time they made pancakes (staff brought in electric griddles). Other times they made no-cook things like fruit salad, etc. You could do no-bake cookies. I am having a brain block about what else they made...;)

Plays are FUN! My friend did a play with her 1st/2nd graders in an after school program and it was a BIG success.

Dance is another great one, if you have staff that can teach it. The kids always love it, especially the girls.

I always really wanted to implement a geography club, but never got a chance. I thought it would be really fun to study different parts of the world interactively - clothes, dance, music, food, etc.

As for rotation, one program I worked in had each staff member with a different age level group every day, and they rotated through homework/ activities/ outdoor time. In the other two programs I worked in, we had our own class of students, and on Fridays students participated in clubs. Each staff member led a club, and students were able to choose their club. I think the programs I've worked in are a little different, though - they're free programs offered in low-income schools.

Good luck - this sounds fun!

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 22, 2012

Oh! A photography club! Or a film club! SO fun if you have the materials!!

Or a gardening club! That would be fun!

We also had a newsletter staff and a yearbook club at one of the programs I worked in.

I really like the idea of doing a computer lab - maybe they could create a blog, or glogsters, or something exciting! :)

Ok, I'm going to stop now. :D

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2012

Anything with science is always a hit.

There are a lot of great non-baking cooking activities that you could tie into literature.

Have fun!

6. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jan 22, 2012

Also some sort of arts and crafts. The kids in our after school program love getting to do fun artsy projects (especially around the holidays :))

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 22, 2012

Science projects that they could observe over time would be fun - like the effects of different liquids as watering mediums for plants

Soap box cars

Simple carpentry projects

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2012

Definitely science! My students love to make and race different vehicles.

Our students also love a movie club.

They seem to be enjoy a beauty club--fashion, make up, nails.

We love cooking. Lots of no bake recipes or microwave friendly recipes.

Any kind of contests are also fun.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 22, 2012

My mind daydreams about numerous clubs all the time- and I know I will use ideas here to drive my private school of the future. LOL. :)

First, are you elementary or K-8?
    - I start by agreeing about the origami and LEGO clubs. Those are cool and not done just anywhere. The origami can perhaps be combined with a math and logic club, and the LEGO construction can perhaps be combined with an architecture/engineering club of sorts. Granted, I know kids who would embrace that right now from my own class. I do agree, third graders and above, but it depends on the child's expertise.
    - Writing is an awesome club to start. I agree, creative story writing and non-fiction writing is a wonderful focus... when I went to Flagler College, we met with after-school YMCA kids and published a book after working with one student each for maybe 1 1/2 months...? We worked with a publishing company called "Studentreasures" that sends free kits (and then you can order extra copies). I still remember... Allison's book was about red-eared sliders.
    - Technology is an another thought, focusing on potential website creation with a computer software program. Media production can perhaps be in there as well.
    - As for cooking, you can focus on the kids preparing healthy snacks, which would not take too much "food preparation".
    - Last, history club where kids build models, do reader's theater, and perhaps head on field trips later on in the school year to a few wonderful historical sites in your state.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2012

Oooh, Studentreasures!! Yes, I've done that many years when I was in the classroom. I'll have to look into that and see how we can qualify for that.

And sorry, this afterschool program is for 3-5. Forgot to mention that.

Great idea guys! I'm adding them on to my list. :)

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2012

For the movie club, they can watch the film, write a critique, summarize, rewrite the ending, draw and create a movie poster, etc! So many things you can do with just that one idea. :)

12. Ciaobella

Ciaobella New Member

Jan 23, 2012

I actually work at an after school program, with elementary students grades PreK - 5. Usually they start with some outdoor activity for about ten minutes then from around 3:45 - 4:30 it's homework time. From then on they either switch the kids to extra pow wow (which is for kids who are still working on homework) or they go to their programs.

As for now our program has Music, Fine Arts (what I'm in charge of), Science, Indoor Sports, & usually Outdoor Sports but for now no one goes outside because by 4:30 ish it starts to get dark here.

But anyways each staff member has a grade, some of them are split, so if there are 30 kids in one grade, one staff member will take 15 & another will take 15. Then each staff member is in charge of a club. They send different grades or a mix of similar grades to a different club each day or every other day and that's our rotation.

I definitely wish we had a bit more variety like a gardening club or oragami club, movie club, or clay. That would be awesome!

13. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jan 23, 2012

Our afterschool program offers a chess club. The kids are absolutely bonkers over it, and yes, it's the elementary students who like it best, not the middle school children, who would rather play sports.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 24, 2012

You might partner with 4H or Scouts to have a group from your school.