after school activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by raelynn823, Feb 14, 2007.

1. raelynn823

raelynn823 Rookie

Feb 14, 2007

hi there! i was wondering if anyone could help me. i acually have a in home daycare. all of my babies are growing and my childcare has shifted from full time preschoolers to mostly before and after school kids. anyway, we're getting tired of the same old activities after school. can anyone give me some fresh new ideas or a website where i can get ideas for my older kids? they range from kindergarden to 4th grade. thanks so much!!

3. JenL

JenL Comrade

Feb 14, 2007

do you do homework time....our after school program at our school does that and i know the parents find it benefiical because then they don't have to do it at home....
    i would say games....depending on how many kids you have take a look at the games thread that was started recently about the best classroom games...
    or crafts are fun especially for older kids that might not get them at school everyday....you could gear them towards the season or time of year.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 14, 2007

Have a variety of events and change them out.
    game day, set up some games like connect 4 or dominoes
    movie day, pick an all around loved movie, serve air popped popcorn
    craft day, any kind of cheap craft from oriental trading co.
    science day, make a tornato in a bottle or sift sand (to find treasures like pennies or small shells)
    cooking day, get them involved with making dough into pretzel shapes or fist initial, no bake cookies etc...

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Feb 16, 2007

We do many cooking type activities, like having the older students make play-do (chocolate, cinnamon, Kool-Aid) for the younger ones to use, although will require adult supervision to do this. Chalk making. Ice Cream in a Bag when when the weather gets warmer are all good ideas. Do your after care kids come all of the time - what about setting up a pen-pal situation with an after school program in another area, although would depend on how many you have.