After missing 3 tests in a row...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by orangetea, Mar 15, 2012.

1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2012

I have a student in my trig class who never seems to come to class the days we have tests.
    It's very easy to "skip" class in my school. Just write a note saying that you need to go have a doctor's appointment, forge your mom's signature, and give it to the office. That's it! You're excused from 3rd period.
    Our school policy is that if you leave school for part of the day and miss an assessment, you must make it up the same day or you get a zero. This isn't enforced much though, but the responsible students usually will make it up.
    Finally, after he was absent today for his exam, I checked his attendance and noticed that he frequently needs to leave school (presumably to miss tests) I informed our assistant principal and he was FINALLY caught and given a well deserved zero because he didn not make it up. It's too bad that he's probably been doing this for years now, since it's his senior year. His classmates always talk about how he misses tests.
    I just can't believe it's so easy to get out of class. I hope they somehow change the policy!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2012

Wow! That's crazy, but I'm so glad he was caught. At least it's flagged now for what's left of the year for this student.

4. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2012

I know...I just can't believe it went on for so long.
    The sad thing is that I'm sure several other students skip class like this as well.
    And I hope the assistant principal informs his other teachers.
    Also, this kid never makes up tests in a timely fashion. It usually takes him about 4 days to make it up, which just gets annoying.

5. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Mar 15, 2012

I have a kid like that. He always missed class on quiz/ test day. It was so rampant that it turned into a big joke for all the other kids. And he would take FOREVER to come back and take it. We're talking weeks. He was outwaiting me, gathering as much information from the other kids and grab a copy of the quiz and tests when they were handed back (because I'm the only one in my school that teaches my subject, I hand them back). It took me a while to figure out why a kid who didn't seem to know much about the topic could consistently outperform the class by a full letter grade and he would skate by for the six weeks with a 71/72. Once I clued in (finally!), I started making a separate quiz/ test just for him. His grades bottomed out. After doing that twice, he hasn't missed a quiz or test since...

6. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 16, 2012

This is a problem which arises at my school as well. Sometimes it's the fruit of grademongering, sometimes of anxiety. Either way, I do discuss it with the culprits when I see it, strictly apply the school policy (one day's grace for each day missed), and I have mentioned it to guidance as an instance of bad habit and bad faith.

It's one of those weedlike problems at which you just have to keep thrashing away.

7. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 16, 2012

This is a great idea! I have done this a few times too and it's always interesting to see their response...:lol:

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2012

Next year, I'm thinking of having the policy that if they miss one day, they must make up the assessment within 2 days or something.
    And, I WILL be following through on school policy if he's ever "absent" again.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2012

Our policy is that they get one day for every day they are absent.

10. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 16, 2012

Yep: same here.

11. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Mar 16, 2012

Our policy is that they get one day for every day they're absent plus an additional day. Kinda like 1x +1

12. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2012

I like this one better. I understand that if a student misses school for a day, they have 5 classes of work to make up. If they missed two tests or have a bunch of makeup homework, it might not happen the next day. They can't take two tests after school! But I think two days is pretty reasonable.
    By the way, the kid was VERY upset about his zero...even though the assistant principal told him that he would get a zero if he didn't make it up today. I just don't understand...I'm sure he could have at least passed if he tried to take it!

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 16, 2012

In my AP classes the deal was that length of answers changed if you missed the test. If it was a mutiple choice test, you had to answer in a complete sentence with no asnwer choices. If it was a short answer, you had to write a paragraph and if it was a pragrpah answer, you wrote a page. No one really missed tests!

14. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Mar 17, 2012

Ahhh... I do that with my retakes. Kids would purposely fail the tests by a few points, remember as much as they could and look up the answers and then retake it to have the two grades average (So 68 the first time to trigger the retake policy, 100 the next time and average for an 84). I started using the alternate assessment for the original (designed by the textbook writers for students with learning disabilities. Don't tell the kids though because they still struggled) and then would give the on-level assessment for the retake. So a multiple choice question might turn into a fill in the blank. Or a fill in the blank with a word bank now has no fill in the blank. Word got around quickly that the retakes weren't "impossible" to pass (they weren't but you really had to know your stuff. I would have maybe 2 out of 10 score higher on the retake even though it was the exact same material in a different format) and that it was easier to just study the first time.

15. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 17, 2012

When the kid got upset, the AP should explain that THEY are upset to learn just how frequently he has been conveniently misses exams all year long (and probably for the last three years). Rather than being upset at finally get ONE zero he deserves, he should be happy the faculty isn't going back to review ALL the tests he missed this year (or even this grading period) and giving him a zero on those as well.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2012

If they were present for all instruction but missed the test, they take it the day they return.

If they missed instruction plus the test, they have 2 days per day absent (up to 10) to make the work and test.

If the absence is unexcused, they don't get to take the test or receive makeup work. My school calls home to confirm all absence notes since we had an issue with kids forging.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2012

To be honest, I give my kids till the end of the trimester to make up work.

I find that the kids who were prepared in the first place take them fairly soon after their return.

The kids who are playing games put it off so long that they forget the material. If they come for extra help, I ask to see the notes they made up. Inevitably they haven't gotten the notes, so there's no extra help.

I alway give a different test, so knowing the answers before you walk in won't help.

It's incredibly rare that a kid who waits till the end of the trimester does halfway well on a test.

But I agree-- if it's that obvious that this kid is playing games, each and every test she misses for the rest of her time in your school should be made up immediately.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2012

We have district tests once a month in reading and math. There are some students who miss EVERY time we have those tests. I've heard them say that they are staying home because "it's just CIA day".

They are always given on a Friday, and we are to grade them over the weekend, discuss them with students on Monday, and then meet as a grade-level group to discuss results and next steps.

Problem? We have to do make-up tests on Monday, grade those Monday night, and then do everything else on Tuesday. I have tests for this weekend, and I had at 3-5 students absent each class. Many are the ones absent every time.

While they're making up their tests on Monday, they're missing instruction. It's frustrating.