After lunch crazies!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hojalata, Aug 9, 2013.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 9, 2013

I am looking for some good ideas for the first 5 minutes after lunch. The first graders walk themselves back from the lunch room and it's a long walk. You can imagine by the time they get back to the room they are really wound up. We usually do read aloud, which is calming, but I'm looking for something for those very first seconds they enter the room. I was thinking lights off, quiet music, but what could the kids do?

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 9, 2013

After lunch I greet them at the door and then I head straight to the carpet with a book in hand. I start a quiet game with the few children that get their first (clapping patterns, quick game on the numberline). When I have the majority of the students I start reading a story and the stragglers quickly join us.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2013

Silently read, organize their pencil cases and desks, work on unfinished work, etc.

5. live

live Companion

Aug 9, 2013

I've never taught first, but in the classes I subbed in, they'd turn the lights off and play music after lunch recess too. During this time the kids would go right to their tables and just put their heads down for a few minutes.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2013

It's the perfect time for read-aloud. You could do a couple of deep breathing exercises to get them to settle. Even some leisurely stretching might help.

7. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 9, 2013

I second the stretching. Some classrooms do "yoga" and you could teach the kiddos a few "poses". They'd probably enjoy it.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2013

Why is admin allowing first graders to walk themselves back? That doesn't seem safe.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 18, 2013

I thought about that too, but maybe they have para's and other staff members posted in the hallway to monitor their kids the way we do during dismissal? Our kids walk themselves down the hall and out the door to the buses outside, but we have people posted in hall to help monitor

If not, then I feel like the kids are too young for that

:yeahthat:

We used to do "Yoga" my first few years as teacher. My 1st and 2nd graders loved it.

I made up funny poses like, "Wave at the sun" and "plant the seeds. now pat down the dirt. pat, pat, pat. now grow, grow, grow"

*sigh* It's funny how much more adventurous I was as a new teacher. I miss those days.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

The very best thing to do after lunch is to read aloud to the students. I suggest having them sit on the floor while you read a fantastic picture book. There are lots, but no first grader can resist Robert Munsch's books. They are hilarious, interesting, and often have a good message.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

I always have them come directly to the rug for read aloud. They love it so they hurry and settle quickly. When we're done they are back in academic mode.

12. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 19, 2013

As teacherintexas noted the problem entering is promoted by lack of supervision prior. There is a direct relationship between how kids behave and their physical distance from the teacher. Imagine a student thinking of running in the hall and looks down the hall to see no teachers in sight. What do you think will happen? Now imagine the same student looking down the hall and seeing five teachers standing outside their doors monitoring the hall. This is exactly what one school I visited did at the beginning of the school year and spot checked every so often after. These kids were walking and chatting quietly without supervision back to their rooms (it was Nov.) When I inquired how they were able to realize such good behavior in the halls the teachers replied, "You were not here the first few weeks of school when all of us were out in the halls, duty or not, at recess, lunch and dismissal. We rarely monitor any more since the kids know we are serious. Sometimes we step out to monitor after holidays and special events. The kids have tested and found out it doesn't work. They don't try any more and we save instructional time in the long run."