After graduation should I get my masters right away

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Guest, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 22, 2002

Dear Teachers,

I am currently a junior at West Chester University. I am finishing up my teaching program and though I am extremly excited I am also nervous. I am looking for advice on what to do and what not to do. I will be student teaching in the spring of next year. I am sure that experience will help me but I have a few questions of what about after I graduate. Whould you advise going straight to graduate school? This is something I am interested in doing but dont know if its in my best interest. Well any ideas or just suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you!!
    Soon to be a teacher :)

3. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Mar 26, 2002

If you have the finances and time to get your masters on a full time basis, I would go ahead and do it. Probably once you start teaching, you would have to complete it part time and it would be a slow going.

Sharlene

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Apr 1, 2002

Before beginning a master's degree, you should evaluate a few different things and then make a decision based upon your new knowledge.

Consider these:
    * Many colleges and universities will only allow individuals into their master's programs with two years of teaching experience. I just finished my master's degree and truly agree with that requirement. I was able to get a lot out of my master's courses because I knew what areas I lacked in or which areas in which I excelled so that I could share with my fellow colleagues.
    * What job opportunities will be available to you after your degree that were not available before? What is the job market like? and How will it differ in the future if you wait for another couple of years. Where I live in the upper Midwest, teaching positions are hard to find. Educators with a master's degree often "cost" more than those with just a bachelor's degree. It might be important to find out the position of the school district in which you would like to teach concerning hiring of individuals with bachelor's degrees versus master's degrees.

I do encourage you to pursue the additional degree as soon as you can especially in being a new teacher. There is a definite monetary and time commitment that need to be made when working towards the degree.

:)Good Luck

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Apr 13, 2002

Ya man, go ahead. Don't be like me. I'm a storefront helper because I didn't get my masters so now, I help sell stuff at W.Erskine Johnston's Storefront. It's a terrible job and I don't get paid very much, so don't make the mistake I did, go ahead.
    P.S I'm not really sure if you should, depending on what kind of person you are, but you should do what your heart tells you to.

6. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 13, 2002

I learned a lot more from the master's classes I took after I had some real teaching experience. Also, since the majority of people taking these classes are currently teaching, the assignments are geared so that they are relevant to what the teachers are doing. Without a class in mind, some assignments would be much more difficult.

On the other hand, it's really hard to take classes in the evening, and it's a slow process. Summer classes are also hard to deal with since you'll really need a break to avoid burnout. Where I live, there is a college that offers summer classes that you can take in 8 days (4.5 hours per day), so I can get a lot out of the way fairly easily. The traditional university here offers summer courses that last 6-8 weeks for an hour or two per day. That would be torture.

I did initially plan to get my Master's before teaching, but I am glad now that I decided against it. :)

By the way, I don't think that not getting your master's will hinder your ability to get a job. MOST people straight out of college do not have their master's.

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 2, 2002

go for it

Looking back now, I wish I had gotten my masters before getting out of college and not had a lapse.
    So much can get in the way-marriage, children,etc....

on the other hand, i waited and i felt more mature and responsible and worked my tail off because it all meant so much more to me.

Depends if your a cut up, or if you took undergrad. seriously.

In my country/county you get paid three thousand more for a masters.... That will definitely help pay some bills!
    good luck.
    ruth