After Elementary school

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by JWJ, Mar 3, 2006.

1. JWJ

JWJ New Member

Mar 3, 2006

Hi all,

My son is in his second year of Children's House and loves it. We're years away from having to consider a school other than a Montessori. Currently his school goes up to the 7th grade. There are no Montessori High schools in our area.

But the grandparents are asking what we intend to do with our children after we run out of Montessori options.

What have other parents done?

What options did you consider?

JWJ

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Mar 3, 2006

You can put them into a public program that offers 'higher level or high achieving classes'. You could also have your child TESTED for IQ to determine if 'gifted' this might also help to give you options for programs that would meet your child's needs.
    One concern I have always had for my students after they leave my program is that they are beginning 'internally' changes that may or may not be in their control and their interests also will change drastically. If the children are not in an educational program that challenges or stimulates them, they will find alternate ways of entertaining themselves and in school hours that is NOT something we want our children to be doing.

4. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 3, 2006

Dumb question but is montessori only for gifted students?

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Mar 4, 2006

montessori is not for gifted students only.
    I feel it allows the child to not be forced to learn a curriculum that is ONLY of grade level standards as in the public school. A child who is in a montessori classroom will have the exposure to academics that are NOT being taught at that time in public school. The gorgeous apparatus/ the montessori materials, are so concrete and BRING the child into abstraction of the concepts by manipulating the resources for themselves. The montessori classroom is full of students who are very self directed and yet, is organized chaos by the directress (teacher).
    I have worked at a summer camp for kids who were two and a half year olds. They were NOT montessori. I saw how their fine motor skills were just weak in comparison to that of a child who has been in a montessori program!

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2006

I have both Montessori children and traditional Preschool children in my class. The Montessori children have a half day program with me. They do not function well in my classroom because they are very accustomed to the stucture of their morning at Montessori. My classroom offers free choice for part of the program and it involves much self discipline when interacting with the other children and adults. The Montessori children have trouble making these choices and have a tendency to be "loud and wild" when given too much freedom.

7. montessori bob

montessori bob Rookie

Mar 9, 2006

Grammy, what type of Montessori school do those children come from. Are they AMI, AMS or child care like?

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2006

Thank you for replying, Bob. The program is in the Public School System . It is not a daycare setting. There are two daily classes , a.m. and p.m. and each lasts for two and a half hours. The teachers are well trained. The children are really "naughty" when they come back to my class. They get the rest of my class all wound up. They are so excited to play with "toys" that they can hardly contain themselves. My other children have been "playing" all morning inside the classroom and outdoors. We have had fun dancing, singing, and doing art, reading stories, playing in the sensory table. It as though the Montessori children have been so focused on a structured morning, filled with peace and quiet, that they are ready to be "kids" by the time they arrive.