After all my hard work...they're doing what?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pxydst07, Aug 21, 2010.

1. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

I try to be as positive as possible and I don't usually post just to vent. However, I have been sick to my stomach since yesterday. I have been going to my classroom for two weeks now and setting up. I'm one of a few teachers in my building that even shows up before the first day of school. I don't understand how these teachers can have a classroom that looks upside down and a mess on the first day.
    Anyway, we received Smartboards in the spring and they had pulled off our chalkboards and just left it as is. The walls were a mess, so I covered it up and decorated over it. I had asked the custodian if they would be in to fix the walls and nobody knew anything.
    So, I forged ahead and put up all my decorations and teaching aids and my class is basically 95% done. Well, I received a phone call from the custodian last night telling me that they are coming in to the classrooms this weekend and fixing the walls. :eek::eek:
    I spent about 12 hours in my room getting it ready and set up and now they are going to rip down all the hard work that I did to make the room look great. I basically turned the two horrible walls into two bulletin boards that looked awesome.

It frustrates me that they wait until now to get this done. We start Monday! I'm sorry this was so long. But I felt fellow teachers could understand and empathize with me.

3. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

What a bummer pxydst! I feel for you. On a positive note, at least the custodian called to tell you and you didn't show up to find your room torn apart. Can you get in before they do the walls to try and take things down carefully so it is easier to put back up again? Good luck!

4. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

Ugh. That is BEYOND frustrating! We had similar last-minute things going on at my school and it totally knocks all the enthusiasm right out of you.
    I hope you can find the energy to put your room back together! I'm sure once it's all done, it will look wonderful.

5. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

Oh I agree! The night custodian is friendly and talkative. I always talk to her and thank her for things. So, she gave me courtesy call. She didn't have to call and she said exactly what you did. She didn't want me to walk in and pass out! I would like to have gotten there and taken everything down myself, but that's not possible if they're getting started today. I don't work close to home and I have a day packed with things to do. I'm just hoping for the best!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

Just be glad that they are doing this in the summer...well at least right before school starts. In my district, they like to do this stuff during the school year. One week, they went into 5-6 rooms and took down all bulletin boards, whiteboards, etc without any notification. They left all displays and posters on the floor at random!!!! About a week after that, they took everything back down to paint. Then, two weeks later, they did it again to reinstall bulletin boards and SmartBoards, again no notice and everything was on the floor! It was terrible and our students never knew what they were walking into.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 21, 2010

PXYDST07: A similar thing happened to me this summer. I was "bumped" from my old school so I am currently teaching at a different school. Anyway, I went to set up my new classroom two weeks before school started (organized desks & tables, plugged in/set up computers, and got everything looking nice). The principal called me the day after I set everything up to let me know that the custodians were going to shampoo my carpets. No biggie, right? WRONG! When I went back to my classroom a few days later, all the furniture and everything else was pushed to one side of the room and it looked like a disaster area.

I can truly empathize with you!!!

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2010

What a bummer! I know it's a disappointment when you thought you were all done but the good side is that you will have repaired walls. Our school also tends to do major work during the school year with school in session. Such a hassle but it's still better than not getting things fixed.

9. smithf1

smithf1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2010

Frustration

How awful for you!! I hope things are not too bad when you return. :sorry:

We were promised Promethean Boards would be installed over the summer. In fact the superintendent's Back-to-School letter indicated they had been done. I went into school Thursday to pick up a few things and my room looked great, BUT no Promethean Board. I spent quite a bit of time planning things for the beginning of the year using it. :(

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 21, 2010

The teachers in my building do not begin to set up their rooms until they are told everything has been cleaned, floors cleaned, furniture in place, and any painting completed. We are notified by e-mail. Our custodial staff begins the cleaning process the day the kids leave in June. Our building has been ready since the 2nd week in August and we begin Sept. 1st.

11. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

How frustrating! That would really tick me off!

I don't think non-teachers realized how much effort we put into getting our room ready for the first day of school. It doesn't happen overnight! (Well, maybe for some...)

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 22, 2010

Oh that is frustrating!

I agree, I don't think that people who live in the four walls that we call our second home for 9 months (or longer for those who are year-round) out of the year understand that we HAVE to have the environment around us complete and ready. It's kinda like moving into a new to you home: you can't just toss a blanket on the floor and live with boxes all around or in storage and call it home. (Okay, so maybe that's just me...LOL)

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 22, 2010

I totally know the feeling after a similar thing happened at my school last week. Just think: it will be all fresh and clean now.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 22, 2010

That is horrible! I would be livid. And to just leave your things on the floor is beyond reproach. That is YOUR stuff, and for them to just rip it off the walls and throw it on the floors is terribly disrepectful of your property, time, work, etc. How would we react if students had done such a thing? We would call it an act of vandilism and be on the phone with parents pronto. So why does the disctrict/school get away with it?

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 22, 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in what other job do you purchase all the supplies in your office, set it up and maintain the space all year? And then, when you come back from holidays the whole place has been taken apart and you are expected to put it all back together again! No other job that I can think of....

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2010

We were told to take down everything from the front wall in my room before we left for vacation. They were going to install a new sound system and computer. So I removed everything ---in all that chaos of the end of the year----
    When I came back, there was one little strip of conduit that wasn't anywhere near the posters I removed. I didn't even have to remove anything....