After a long and drawn-out wait...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by snickydog, Aug 7, 2007.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 7, 2007

... I got offered a first-grade position!!!

I am not holding my breath... I'm so paranoid something is going to happen. The position had to be offered internally and that teacher never said anything, so I was offered the position verbally yesterday, accepted it, and the principal was going to put it through to HR. So I'm going to follow-up with HR today to make sure the paperwork is starting. Am I being overly paranoid???

BUT I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! It is totally the power of follow-up... I interviewed for it over a month ago, but the position didn't exist then. Since then, I've followed up, by mail, phone, and email... and it worked!

From student teaching 1st (loved it) to 8th grade this past year (wasn't crazy about it) and back to 1st again!!!!!!!! :wub:

3. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Hooray!!!! That is great news! I am so happy for you! I hope you have a wonderful year.

No, you are not paranoid. I am a little nervous too since I haven't signed my contract yet. I know everything will be okay though. My district takes awhile is all.

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

Yeah... congratulations to you!! Enjoy the rest of the (short) summer knowing that you have a position. :)

5. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 7, 2007

Oh! Good for you! I'll have my fingers crossed for you that it all works out!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

Yay! It will work out. Congratulations.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2007

Yaaaay! Congratulations!

8. Miss L

Miss L Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Congrats! keep smiling, I'm sure it will all work out great!

9. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Yay! Congratulations :D

10. littlebit18000

littlebit18000 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I wish you the best of luck, we know you will make a great teacher!!!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

YAY! :up:

12. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Congratulations! I get to experience those little darlings myself this yr! Good luck!

13. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Congratulations!!!! That is great news. You are not paranoid. Don't worry though, it will be fine.

14. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Congrats! I was nervous until they gave me my keys last week!
    They aren't getting them back until June.

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2007

Congratulations! That's great news! I also got the position I wanted, Kindergarten, but haven't signed the contract yet and won't get my keys, or meet the staff until the 27th! But, I am optomistic everything will work out for you, and me! Here's to a great new teaching year for all of us!

16. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Congrats!:2up:

17. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone!

Okay, so my paranoia is getting a little worse... well, a lot worse. I got the offer on Monday. Yesterday in the late afternoon, I called HR to see if my staffing request went through so I could come in and do my paperwork. It had not been done (hmm...). So I called the school this morning to ask about the status of the request, and got voicemail - no one called me back at all today. An email follow-up? Also unanswered. I'd be a little less concerned if the principal hadn't needed to offer the position internally first (she never heard from that teacher, so she offered it to me so that we could get the ball rolling on planning and whatnot). Hmm.... :confused:

18. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

It's probably nothing but it would make me a little nervous too. Best wishes. I am sure everything will work out!

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

Hmm. It takes quite a bit of time for the paperwork shuffle. At the moment there is probably a rush of people into HR and they are not able to keep up with issues during the year, so I know they are beyond overwhelmed at this point.

As for the school not answering, I think some principals are taking vacation this week- seems to be a trend I heard (as they get 2 weeks vacation and many of them will be done with hiring and not go to the jorb fair on Friday.) I'd call again. Maybe the principal doesn't do e-mail? Maybe a fax?

20. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

As for the person "resigning" or not choosing the position. They could be in a point where they were "bumped" from one positon to another and are still searching, but haven't officially resigned. You need to know the position number in order to ask HR any questions. Unfortunately they seem to not be able to look up xyz school and then see how many positions are opened. I still haven't figured out exactly what they do in HR....

21. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Congrats! And I hope the snafu with the paperwork clears so you can rest easy.

22. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

Its true, regarding vacation! I got my intern credential yesterday via email and ran it over to human resources so that I could sign my contract. Well my HR connection was busy and getting ready to leave on a 2 week vacation and they said I had to sign it with her, so I had to make an appointment to sign my contract on the 29th! And staff development for my new position is the 27th and 28th. In the meantime I haven't sent my letter of resignation to Head Start (same district tho) cause I wanted to sign the contract first. And I got my schedule to go back to work with them on the 23rd! Brother! I sent the H.S. president an email explaining everything and SHE is on vacation for a week, too! I was so stressed yesterday, but today I decided that I will just relax until then. There's nothing else I can do!

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2007

I'm sure its probably just vacation or things moving slowly...don't stress too much (if thats possible). Try to keep yourself busy in the meantime.

24. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 11, 2007

So here is an update... Some people from another post know what I'm talking about, but here's the scoop, and you'll see why I'm a bit concerned.

I still don't have any paperwork done. This is technically a leave position for a year. However, I won't get time towards tenure, and the teacher could come back at any time and I'd be kicked out of the job. Granted... That might not happen. But it could.

I'm not sure what to do. I currently have a position (teaching big kids), and a couple interviews lined up (just in case the paperwork fell through). Any tips on what to do? My husband and I wouldn't be able to afford the what-if situation of losing the job part-way through the year. However, teaching the little ones is my dream come true!

25. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

Wow, snickydog, you are in a tough spot. I think you keep going for interviews first off, you cannot afford to miss out on a more secure situation.

As for this job, when are you expecting to hear from them again? If you don't have a set date, call them, maybe Weds, (give them some time) and ask when you can show up to sign papers.

If worse comes to worse, keep the job you have. I know you want to teach little kids but if you are in a financial situation that you cannot afford to lose your job, then don't put your familiy at risk.

Sorry, I cannot imagine the stress you are going through right now, I hope you get answers soon.

26. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

Hello,

I would keep interviewing. Perhaps you will find a school that is willing to offer you a full year with no stipulations and will sign a contract with you. Although, everyone keeps saying that the school districts can take their time to get their contracts signed.

I'd keep looking. I bet that dream job's around the corner!:)