After a decade, I have a new prep!

Discussion in 'High School' started by bandnerdtx, Aug 2, 2010.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 2, 2010

This will be my 19th year teaching, and for the last 10 years (at least), I have been teaching English III. At the end of school last year, I went to my P and said, "Please give me something new before I run amok..." She did! I found out today that I'll be teaching a couple of sections of English I (in addition to the usual English III)!

I'm very excited, but I'm a little nervous, too. Because we're an alternative campus, every student who will be taking English I will have already failed it at least once before, so I want to make it fresh for them.

So, for those of you who teach freshman English, what are your very favorite lessons or pieces to teach? Every student in my school has his own laptop, so I can do lots with technology.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

That's great!!

I love getting a new prep-- or a "new this decade" prep. It keeps the creative juices flowing!

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 2, 2010

Cool!
    Our freshmen read "Tears of a Tiger" and still talk about it as juniors. They love that book (even my nonreaders). I've never read it. It is part of a trilogy. http://sharondraper.com/bookdetail.asp?id=6

Our freshmen also read "Animal Farm" and talk about it as juniors, how much they hate it.

5. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

I know a teacher who has a similar class write letters to someone famous they admire and request that they send something for their hero wall. Anything that is sent back is on display in the classroom for a semester and then the kids can take it home. They have recieved a lot of positive responses.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 2, 2010

KU, I'm familiar with Tears of a Tiger. That's a great novel! Good idea!

Deserttrumpet, that's a really cool idea, and it will tie in well if we do mythology (heroes).

Alice, that's exactly what I told my P at the end of the year. Sometimes, you have to shake your snow globe, you know?

7. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Aug 2, 2010

Monster and The First Part Last are both hits with 9th graders too. Most of the kids like The Odyssey too. We read the excerpts that are in the textbook, and watch the made for tv movie. The movie is long, but totally great for those kids, especially the big fight at the end. I teach 9th grade all day, so if you need more info, just send me a pm and I'll give you more details.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 2, 2010

Yea for the new prep :) and freshman :)

I have my history students create a facebook page for an historical person - could you insert this project into one of your novels? Have your students create a facebook page for a character in the novel you choose to read? My students have to come up with a user name (Henry VIII becomes Biggy 8), bio, blog, comments from 4 friends/frienemies, likes/dislikes, and a photo. I set requirements for how long each part has to be. My students love this assignment and it is one of the few assignments my new students ask when we "get to do the facebook assignment?"

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 2, 2010

I LOVE new preps. I'm teaching Asian History this year after a 5 year gap of not teaching it!

10. Claire23

Claire23 New Member

Aug 3, 2010

Asian history! How fun! :)

11. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 3, 2010

How exciting! English I will be a huge change from English III! Enjoy! :)

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2010

What a great idea!

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

Since your students have laptops, a class blog will be a great way to incorporate technology with low-stakes writing. I tried it last year with my students who also had laptops but it did not work so well with my subject. Plus, we had tons of technical issues and responsibility issues (hard to blog if you've left your computer at home for the fifth day in a row). However, a teacher down the hall used her blog for bellwork and it worked well for her.

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2010

I've got two new preps--English 9S, which is for kids who are struggling/failing already, and a second period with the same kids where they work with seniors who have been trained to be academic mentors. I'm actually co-teaching 9S with a SPED teacher who has taught the 9th grade curriculum in his classes, so he's got all the materials. I'm looking forward to the challenge (and to having 38 fewer essays to grade for 12CP!)

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

Honestly, this last week has been stressful for me because I had no clue where to start with a ninth grade class. I mean, I can walk in and teach junior English with one hand tied behind my back... lol... So it took me awhile to figure out where to go, and how I wanted to organize the year. I'm one of those teachers who has to know day 1 what I want to have covered by the end of the term, or I get horribly side tracked.

The problem was that I felt like I have tons of ideas and strategies in my tool box, but I didn't know how to pace things.

So after pouring over the 9th grade TEKS and sorting and prioritizing, I've finally figured out where I am going with this term! :) Our overall theme (because I work better when I teach thematically) is "Can the truth change?" I've got our major reading pieces picked, I've decided which writing assignments I'll put with each, and I'm just about ready.

NCScience, we all blog so that will definitely be a part of my curriculum!

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

Love the theme idea . . . so what novels will you read to support your theme??

17. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

@INteacher: I love that idea! I am a first year teacher and just found out this weekend that I will be teaching World Civ. starting next week! I'm desperate for good ideas.

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 15, 2010

INteacher, we're going to read Avi's Nothing But the Truth as the main novel.

19. curator1

curator1 New Member

Aug 30, 2010

If every student has a laptop, you should check out WGBH's Teacher's Domain website. They have subject specific inks to multimedia along with lesson plans and state framework
    alignment.

The Facebook page is a great idea too. It really engages kids in a way that is relevant to them.