After 86 Applications...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wanting2teach, May 22, 2012.

1. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 22, 2012

I got an interview! I'm so excited. I realize this is not a job offer and may turn out to be nothing, but the fact that a district is responding to me makes me feel positive! It's for a 2nd grade position in a district I have no experience with. I'm just going to be myself, look nice, and come equipped with my passion for teaching.

So, to those of you that are applying, and applying, and applying some more, don't lose hope! Something will eventually come along if you continue to be diligent!

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 22, 2012

Also go equipped with your fantastic portfolio and your knowledge of the school which you obtained from careful research!

Good luck!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

Good luck!

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

Good luck!!!!!

6. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 22, 2012

Congrats!! I second the "don't lose hope" sentiment. I went for months, sending out so many applications, resumes, emails and heard ZIP! Then all of a sudden the calls started coming and I got four interviews! Things can change fast and I guess a lot of things open up closer to summer (or maybe schools just get more desperate). Anyway, anyone getting discouraged, keep sending things out and getting your name out there! I know there's been a thread about this recently, but send emails to principals (unless it specifies not to). I went to an interview yesterday and the principal told me she appreciated my emailing her my resume.

Congrats again and good luck!

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 22, 2012

True, and be prepared to speak about thinks that you have done, not just things you believe in.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 23, 2012

Good luck! I agree, find out what you can about the school and be as prepared as possible. Glad to hear your diligence has paid off in an interview.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2012

Good luck! When is the interview?

10. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 23, 2012

Tomorrow, Thursday, afternoon!

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 23, 2012

Good luck.

12. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

May 23, 2012

Good luck:)

Research the school. Go to their website and read it, know it, believe it!!!

13. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 30, 2012

I didn't get the job. I'm completely and utterly discouraged. I thought the interview went SO well. We hit it off, I nailed every question, and the P even asked for my references cell phone numbers!

No chance the references gave her a bad report, so they must have had someone that had more experience in that grade level as one of the candidates.

I guess I'll be putting in another 86 (+) applications.

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 30, 2012

It just wasn't meant to be. Make sure you are applying for Sept-Dec LTS positions. I know it seems like giving up on next year but it will put experience on your resume. You will still be able to look for another LTS later in the year.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 30, 2012

Don't give up...rejection hurts (trust me, I had more than my fair share when I was job searching), but use it as motivation to get back out there. You will find the right job...keep applying, keep emailing Ps, keeping sending out resumes. There is a job out there for YOU. Remember, its THEIR loss for not hiring you. :hugs:

16. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 30, 2012

I'm sorry to hear this, but keep your head up and get those applications out there!

As for the P asking for reference cell phones, I understand your frustration. My last interview was a third interview with the district's superintendent, and he actually showed me the salary I would be making (around 40% higher than what I make at my private school). I've been on MANY interviews, and this had never happened, salary stuff was always discussed after they offered me the job. So, I thought I was in. Unfortunately, they picked someone else and I was incredibly disappointed. Just goes to show you don't know anything until you have that contract in hand.

Stay in the game!

17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 30, 2012

It has happened to me on several occasions. Once at a Catholic school, the principal sat and told me all about the salary, benefits, etc. and basically tried to talk me out of even wanting the job. Then she didn't even contact me afterwards. It was very strange. Also my longest interview, it lasted like an hour.

18. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 30, 2012

Everyone has been so wonderful and supportive on here! Thanks, fellow educators!

I got a call for an interview...tomorrow! Studying the district and school's websites now. :)

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 30, 2012

It sounds really hokey...but it's so true that when one door closes...:hugs:

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 31, 2012

Good luck!

21. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 31, 2012

Congratulations!!!

My first interview, I was super excited about, studied, etc. When I got there, I realized it was further away than I thought and wondered if I could handle that commute each day for 200+ days of a contract. I opted to use the interview as practice, experience for further interviews. I was offered the position, but the experience itself was good for me, and hopefully my next interview was much smoother.

The rejection definitely stinks, and it burned me even more to see my fellow graduates getting jobs, while I had only 2 interviews at that point. I try to do a little something for myself here and there to keep my spirits up, as well as constantly reading/researching to learn more to maybe answer some of these questions more effectively and make the principal/school see that I would be a quality addition to their staff.

22. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 31, 2012

Had my interview this morning. I don't feel good about it at all, but if nothing else, it's good experience!