After 8 years you'd think,

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 24, 2014

I'd stop getting my feelings hurt when a parent complains about me. Today, I cried. Luckily not until I got home, though.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2014

Hugs. It's always hard, isn't it? Hope that you are able to get things sorted out.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 24, 2014

I'm sorry to hear that too. One of the hardest things I had to learn at this job was that you will never please everyone-as much as you'd like to. Everyone has such different expectations of what they think you should be doing.

5. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 24, 2014

That's a lot of this situation. I'm curious to hear what she thinks I should have done because I handled the situation to the best of my abilities. She didn't call me, so I haven't talked to her. She called my P and griped about the situation. I'm calling her back tomorrow.

6. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

Sep 25, 2014

so ..... sad

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2014

Is your P supportive?

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 25, 2014

I'm in my 18th year. Last year a parent complained about me, and it wasn't true. I taught her middle child, a true problem child, 4 years ago. We made a wonderful connection and her mother couldn't stop singing my praises. I was even told by a teacher at the junior high last year (before the claim) that she suggested the teacher contact me because I reached her child in a way that no other teacher had. The daughter told the teacher that I was the only teacher she had ever had that she thought truly loved her and cared about her. That made my heart sing, then a few short months later, she came to a meeting about her younger daughter that we were teaching. My two co-workers and I felt that the meeting went well. Two days later my principal called me in to let me know that the mother had called her complaining about our lack of professionalism at the meeting and that she specifically commented on me. My principal let me know that in no uncertain terms she knew it was a lie and that she had told the parent clearly that she had misunderstood, I appreciated that and that she told me privately because I was crushed. When you out so much of yourself in and they slam you, it's really hard to not take it personally.
    BTW, at open house this year the older sister came to visit me like she always does and after several bear hugs she told me she loved me like she always has. At least the mother didn't affect that.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 25, 2014

I'm at 7 years- I still take it personally, but usually not as badly as I use to. I had one parent say a mean comment to another teacher about me and I told that teacher "Look... she's crazy and will pull stuff like that." And let it go... the parents talked so nicely to me face-to-face the next day and I just smiled and smiled (thinking some not-so-nice words in my head). When I do screw up, then I take it seriously and will do something about the complaint- as long as I am improving myself as a professional with legit concerns, then there's no reason for me to feel bad (we teach the same thing to our students: if you screw up, find a solution to make it better... we should follow it ourselves).

(But yeah... the sensitive side of me can beat myself up pretty well ;) I even told that to my principal, so she's been really nice about things- she knows she doesn't have to come down on me to change an issue)

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2014

I know exactly how you feel. I made the mistake of opening my school email at the start of my 4 day weekend last night to a nasty email from a student's stepfather. Ugh. Try not to let it get you down.

11. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 25, 2014

I'm sorry. :hugs:

12. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 25, 2014

So, I called her today. She was really rude, like really rude. It was a completely futile conversation. She kept saying the same things (which were complete and total BS), I kept saying the same things. Then she finally hung up on me. P is very supportive.

I think it's going to be a long year with that momma. :rolleyes:

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2014

:hugs: Bella.

14. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 25, 2014

Thank you. Glad tomorrow is Friday. :(

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2014

Wow it sounds like she didn't even deserve the decency of a phone call. I just try to avoid parents like this.