Afraid that pre screener test has kept me from getting hired

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by needajobplease, May 5, 2013.

1. needajobplease

needajobplease Rookie

May 5, 2013

Does anyone know anything about these pre-screeners? I went to a job fair for Mansfield ISD in texas last week and did really well during the interview. I was then asked to take a pre screen test. I have not heard anything about coming in for a second interview. The people I interviewed with were impressed with my experience.

Last Friday I had an interview with the same district (apart from the job fair). Again, the interview went great. I got a call later and the AP said I did not get the job but that she would pass my resume on to other schools in the district. She even said that the interview went terrifically.

Does anyone know anything about the Haberman Star Teacher pre screener and if Mansfield ISD only hires someone if they pass the test? No one will tell me. If this is the case, I don't need to be applying for any more jobs in this district.

Thanks

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 5, 2013

I've never heard of it, but I looked up the website. Wow. I'm finding myself glad that my first school didn't use something like that, because as a newbie, I probably wouldn't have fared very well.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 5, 2013

On their website, you can take the test for 20 dollars and see your results. They also provide a lot of research as to what they're looking for, so if I were you I would read up on it, take it and write down your answers as you go, and see how you do. That's what I have done in the past. Some of what they're looking for isn't what I would have thought. You can take the test (with the same fee) as many times as you want and try to see what you need to answer to get a higher score. They also rate you as "high, low, average" in several areas and no matter what I've always gotten "low" in an area or two, but my overall score is still high enough. I've gotten several interviews in districts that require this test as a pre-screener.

If it's a district requirement, I doubt someone would say that they would pass your resume along knowing that you failed the test (if you did in fact fail). Based on that I would assume you did fine but just weren't the very top candidate. If you're worried that it's the test though, I would do as I suggested above.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 5, 2013

I've missed getting work in a certain school district that does a pre-screening test. I've come to the conclusion that if this is the case, I'm a bad match for them.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 5, 2013

I've taken that one. These tests annoy me as several times "your' answer isn't an option. Many questions are repeated but phrased differently, I guess to check you for honesty and consistency.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 5, 2013

As far as I know, there is no option to take the gallup test anywhere else and see your score. I used to have a really hard time with that one and I've found you have to just make yourself sound like god's gift to the universe...I've had no problems getting interviews once I started answering that way. For example, I answer "I am always positive" "People always listen to me" "People always come to me for advice" "Students work harder for me" etc.

In my area, EVERY district has either the gallup or the Haberman test...so it's not an option to just avoid them.

8. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

May 5, 2013

I was at that job fair too. They said they would start calling on friday based on the results of the job fair. But I am betting it wont be until at least tuesday before the principals get the results of the scoring and the spread sheet.
    700 people were invited to the job fair. Based on it being tuesday and thursday it would be hard to believe they would have the results put together by friday early enough for them to start calling for interviews.
    I would expect to get calls later in the week and dont forget you can get your score from the job fair on Frdaiy by emailing them.

9. needajobplease

needajobplease Rookie

May 5, 2013

Thanks for your reply and info you provided. You made me feel a bit more hopeful. I will definitely take the test online and see how I do (again)!

10. needajobplease

needajobplease Rookie

May 5, 2013

Thanks so much kevmic28. I may be just being paranoid. I am glad that you responded. The HR department said that the scores would be available on the 10th. I guess I will wait until then.