Afraid I've made a giant mistake :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsCK, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Feb 1, 2014

I didn't read all of the replies, but we don't have to save samples. We just have the progress monitoring and it is graphed. (RTI-MTSS) Hope things work out for you and the student. I guess districts/states may vary.

2. AliLand

AliLand Rookie

Feb 1, 2014

Although I am a teacher, it is as a dyslexic person I am writing this post. When my English teacher required that I was tested, the head was incredibly negative and seemed very critical of her efforts. Fortunately, she was a strong willed lady who managed to stand her ground (and on two occasions went over his head tactfully requesting guidance from the authorities rather giving up).
    At several points during my education, law suits were mentioned. However, what parents want more than anything else is to know that some one is in their kids corner. Sample work is useful when a teacher is trying to convince others that there is a problem, but not having any will not effect diagnosis. If this is held up, your head is at fault not you. So long as you continue to help this child, you are doing your job.
    Good luck

3. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Feb 1, 2014

I'm feeling like if anyone messed up, it was your P. Does she not have a system in place to notify teachers and keep them informed of what exactly is required in these situations? How are you supposed to know what you need to include if you've never done it and no one has told you? She messed up and is tying to pass the buck. I would definitely be trying to find my way to another district.

4. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 1, 2014

I keep work samples, but my kids are already labeled as special ed. People throw those words, "We can get sued" around a lot. Most of the time it's nonsense. To your knowledge, is this the first thing you have messed up on? You will not lose your license over this. If you didn't know, then you just didn't know. Someone should have informed you of the process before hand.

5. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Feb 1, 2014

I have only used work samples to show a parent that a students is struggling and during the S-TEAM meeting when looking to see if a child meets the qualifications for initial testing. The work samples are not used to determine if the student goes into a SPED program. The data for progress monitoring and the results for the school psychologist determine if the students gets in the SPED program and to what extent the services will be.

6. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Feb 1, 2014

I agree. That phrase is pretty common. It's just a reminder that we have a formal and legal process to follow with special ed. There is formal assessment that takes place to determine if a child qualifies for special ed. There are other ways too but work samples would not be enough to qualify a child or disqualify them. They are one part of a process.

Principals do not always know the process and yet are still your supervisor. Do you have a program manager with the district or someone you can refer to?

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2014

This is so ridiculous. You think he needs special ed, the parents want special ed, test results will most likely show he needs special ed, but because you don't have his actual work to go along with the data he won't be in special ed? That's insane. Do you have any work samples from the year you can show? Have the parents saved anything at home?

There's nothing you can do about it now and it was an honest mistake I agree with previous posters who've said that. We keep portfolios of major work for our kids in writing and math, so I always have work to show whenever I need it from any point in the year. Maybe you'd consider doing this in the future just to help you out in situations like this. Although I still don't see what the big deal is with the work for this year- it seems crazy. Sorry!

8. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Feb 2, 2014

After being scolded, I went and pulled every CFA he's taken this year, as many work samples as I could find, and ended up with a packet of about 15 different samples. My principals "hopes this will be enough." So do I. If this kid doesn't qualify because of some missing copies, I don't know what I'll do with myself. Thanks for your advice, his portfolio may be the only thing that saves me.

I looked up our county's policy on progress monitoring and data points--only 4 are required from the time the student is recommended for testing, to the time of his qualification meeting. Out of the many many weeks of data points that I've kept, there are definitely at least 4 that I have copies of his work for. I just hope I can explain that to the people in charge. I feel helpless and blamed in this situation.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 2, 2014

You have 15 work samples, and administration is trying to say that might not be be ENOUGH?

At the risk of being blunt, your administration is so [redacted] ignorant that they should recuse themselves from any matter involving special education.

If I went to an evaluation meeting with 15 work samples, my school psychologist would have rolled her eyes and tell me to pick out two or three that were representative.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

I know I work in a different country than you, but 15 work samples in 1 subject area would me MORE than enough to support any claim I was making about a student. I bring in my basic assessments and that is enough. Do not fret about this anymore. You have more than covered yourself and will be able to help your student.

11. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2014

Your principal is full of .....

He or she has no clue how a child goes through an initial to get the child into the special ed program or the district you work for has broken IDEA rules so badly it is not even funny.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 8, 2014

My thoughts exactly- I gave 3 writing samples for a child study team and my guidance counselor was thrilled.

Your P is being a jerk to you probably to cover his own butt. :mad:

13. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Apr 14, 2014

Update: the student qualified for special ed in all areas. Nothing else has been said about it. I'm so happy the student is getting what he needs and that I am through working for this county next year.

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 14, 2014

Glad to hear everything seems to have worked out positively for everybody. I hope you can thrive once you're in a better environment.

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2014

That's good to hear.