Affricate poems

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeachtheWorld, Oct 9, 2009.

1. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Oct 9, 2009

We are beginning a study on affricates and I'm looking for some good poems to use. Any ideas?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2009

I don't have any ideas, but needed to share that I learned something new today--I had no idea what an affricate was.

4. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Oct 9, 2009

a speech sound like the ch-sounds in church and the j-sound in joy. We are doing dr- this week. Some students want to put jr instead of dr. It's all in the way our mouth and tongue move to say the word. For the j-sound, a lot of student will put ch. Your mouth forms these two sounds very similiarly.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 9, 2009

Um. In fact /dr/ is not an affricate, it's a blend, though certainly the blend /dr/ can be pronounced like cluster of affricate /j/ (as in judge) + /r/. (A couple I knew named their son Andrew. His nickname was Anj, pronounced to rhyme with flange.)

For /d/, the tongue tip is positioned at the alveolar ridge, just behind the front teeth, but in most people's pronunciation of /r/ the tongue tip is curled up toward the hard palate (the roof of the mouth, so when they're said as a blend the tongue may actually end up somewhere in between. (The technical term for this process of a sound being flavored by the sound that follows is anticipatory assimilation.)

English has two affricates, the voiceless "ch" as in itch (for which I think I can't use a correct phonetic symbol here, though let me try: it's either /č/ or /tʃ/, depending on the system of transcription) and the voiced "j" (which is either /ǰ/ or /ʤ/). Another one that shows up in European languages is what the Germans call ess-zed and write with that funny letter that looks sort of like a B (ß) - it's the sound that is spelled in Italian with <zz>, as in the words pizza or palazzo.

Though I hope to heaven the kids aren't actually having to learn the term "affricate"!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 9, 2009

Woot! The symbols showed up correctly, at least for me!

I'd appreciate it if people who know IPA transcription but do not have a Mac would tell me whether what they see is what I intended.

7. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Oct 9, 2009

I have a PC with IE 6 (yes, I'm way outdated). I can see the [č] and the [ß] but the others look like empty boxes.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 9, 2009

Thanks for the help, Anne. But aw, grump! - phonetic transcription is actually a lot of fun to play with.

9. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Oct 12, 2009

Wow, I'm sorry. Just thought I'd ask for a few poems.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 12, 2009

Huh? Sorry for what?

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2009

TG, this is the way it showed up on my computer. Is this what I am supposed to be seeing?

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 16, 2009

This has been my study on affricates. :eek: