Affording student teaching

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by 12teach, Jul 24, 2007.

1. 12teach

12teach New Member

Jul 24, 2007

Hello everyone! I am wondering if you all can tell me how you are able to afford student teaching. I am 22, single, support myself completely, and have no family in the area. Right now, I do not see how it will be possible for me to student teach while keeping a roof over my head. I'd ideally like to get an intern position, however my subject area isn't in high demand, so I doubt I'd be able to find one. It is really stressful thinking about how I am going to manage, any examples/ideas you guys can give would be great. :help:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

1. Get a 2nd/swing shift job. You can teach until 3 or 4 in the afternoon and then work until 11 or midnight. It stinks, but it's manageable for one semester (or 8-10 weeks, depending on your program).

2. Take out a student loan for the semester. Student loans can cover living expenses, so it would be an appropriate use for the funds. One semester shouldn't amount to a whole ton of debt.

3. Save up your money so that you can live off your savings for a semester.

----

When I was student teaching, I was working as a manager at a large hotel. Since I was in charge of scheduling, I was able to give myself the night shifts on Friday and Saturday nights (11 PM - 7 AM). I found that those weekend night shifts were good because I was able to get all my school stuff done for the next week--the hotel wasn't all that busy past like 1 AM. Plus the pay was very good.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 24, 2007

I agree, this would be the time to take advantage of any kind of loan offered. I would save up as much money as possible, cut living expenses/get a roommate, and just make it through one semester!
    Good luck :)

5. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I'm 22 also but married so this isn't so much an issue. We WILL still have to take out a small loan though as my husband is in the military, and on his salary alone we can live comfortably but could NOT live comfortably and pay for daycare for our 2.
    I'll be applying for the living expense loan through Sallie Mae to pay the daycare expenses. It seems that this is what most of the students at my school do. It stinks that it's more money to owe, but what can you do? I can't imagine working all day, then going to another job until late night. When would you do your required work/lessons etc? I know my school has a rule about jobs while student teaching, but I can't for the life of me remember it right now. I believe it's no more then 15 hours a week.

6. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 24, 2007

I was fortunate enough to have a job that allowed me to work flex hours (I had many 14-hour days)...that, and I did student teaching part-time over two semesters before doing the final student teaching (full-time). But if that is not possible with your employer, I agree that looking for a different position is a good idea, if it is something unique like Cassie's.

The student loan is a good idea too, but it's always better to avoid debt if at all possible. (Expert here, since I took out $35K all told: $7K was for living expenses during that last semester and through summer. I own a home, a car, etc., and payments were still due! Thankfully, I got a teaching job right away!)

7. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I am single and a mom of 1. I worked full time and went to school full time. I just graduated in May. I had to plan a year in advance for my student teaching. I put away every bit of money that I could afford to (money from my job at that time, tax refund, refunds from school, gifts, my current savings etc.). All of that money went into a high interest yielding savings account. That gave me a little more extra money. I managed to saved 7 months worth of income and I have been working through a temp agency this summer. You can do it and survive but you will need to plan for it. If you are looking to student teach sooner then a loan may be the way to go.

8. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 25, 2007

Congratulations, Erika! You are EXACTLY the kind of teacher who will be snapped up quickly. Administrators KNOW that when someone has sacrificed so much to follow a dream...a passion...he or she will do whatever is necessary in the classroom too! I applaud your efforts, especially as a single mom. I worked full-time and did school full-tiime for that three years too, and I was overwhelmed and exhausted most of the time. But I only had to come home and deal with a hamster...! Hang in there...hope you get hired right away! (I was hired from my job fair! I'm starting my third year now.)

9. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Thanks SRH ! It was a lot of hard work but I love teaching! I was actually hired by the school where I completed my student teaching. It is a great school with a wonderful staff. I am very excited about the new school year. All my hard work is paying off!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

In California, look into the APLE program - the student services office or credential counselor at your local school of education should be able to give you more information, though I'll admit I don't know one way or the other whether internship holders are eligible. Under APLE, you still take out the loan, but if you serve in a high-need area for a given amount of time, the state picks up $11,000 to $19,000 of the tab. "High-need area" comprises both subject areas and locations, so it's available even for multiple subjects.

11. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 25, 2007

I signed up for APLE while still an undergrad! They are about a year behind in things...justrecently saw that my payment had been made for the 2005-2006 school year. For me, the category is "low income school," although we are no longer. But once a payment is made and the process has begun, so long as you stay in the same school, you're still eligible. First payment is $2K, and for each successive year it is $3K. I took the position where I am now ONLY because it qualified (at the time, anyway!). I needed to whack off some of my educational expenses. It is a great program in California, and I would think at least some other states have similar opportunities. Thanks for mentioning that, TeacherGroupie! I feel absolutely blessed (and relieved) to know it's not ALL out of my pocket!

12. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 25, 2007

I took out a Federal Stafford Loan. I started out the semester trying to student teach (7 a.m. - 3 p.m.) and then wait tables (5 p.m. -10 p.m.), with a 30-45 minute commute in the a.m, between teaching & working, and home in the p.m. That lasted about a month before I freaked out. I was so glad I had gone ahead & gotten the loans so that I could quit working & concentrate on student teaching. It really is a full-time job. For the semster, I got about $9K, which covered tuition, rent, car payments, & insurance. I was married, so I also had my hubby's income for living expenses, etc. But if I was frugal and single, I could have made it on the $9K. Hell, when I was an undergrad, I lived on less than $1,000 a month. (Of course, mommy paid the tuition bills then.)

13. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 25, 2007

My grown daughter reminds me on occasion (when it's end of the month and I'm already broke) that for over eight months I lived on "nothing." True--I had the loan money, but no income. I did pretty well too, but boy, did my generosity have to make adjustments. That and anything considered "frivolous"!! IT IS DOABLE, THOUGH!! We're proof.

14. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 25, 2007

After reading my post, it reminded me of one of the ironies of student teaching... We're paying the universities (usually 10-12 credits worth) of tuition, for us to work in the public schools. Then they're giving the cooperating teachers a stipend on top of that, for having us there doing much of their job for them. So, basically, we're indentured servants for a semester, and we're paying for the privilege of being one. Very 18th century, eh?

15. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 26, 2007

While I was student teaching, I told my 6th grade students how lucky they were to get to go to class for free. I explained to them that I wasn't getting paid and I was paying about $2400 to be with them.
    They thought I was crazy. Maybe they were smarter than I thought. :lol: :eek:

16. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

Yup, it's crazy! In a month I have to quit my job as a pre school teacher so I can do my student teaching. It's going to cost me about $10,000 between tution and fees, lost pay from not working (well not working for anything that pays, we all know being a student teacher is working!) and having to pay for extended day care for my kids since my student teaching day will be longer than they'll have when taking in the drive time to my school vs. where they are. We put away our tax refund and that's covering some of it. The rest is student loans and borrowing some money for our parents. I am not willing to take an evening or night job to help pay for all of this since then I'd never see my children who are 5 and 7 and that's just not something I would do. And since my husband is a high school teacher working 45 minutes away from home he can't do anything about his work schedule to avoid the extended day fees for the kids.

We figure once I'm hired as a public school teacher rather than a private pre school teacher I'll make up the money lost in higher salary by my second year working. So short term financial pain for hopefully long term gain is what we're hoping for. But I definitely agree that affording student teaching is a nightmare!

17. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Here's something I haven't seen listed so far. Does your school offer graduate assistantships? I know this is extremely variable depending on your subject area and credential program, but when I student teach in the spring I will be a teaching assistant at my university. Teaching 2-3 evening science labs per week gets me enough of a stipend to live off of, plus my tuition is waived.

~Briana~

18. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jul 28, 2007

It just occurred to me that a graduate assistantship would only work if you're a graduate student. Sometimes I forget that others figured out that they wanted to teach earlier in the game than I did! :)

Good luck no matter what you choose!

~Briana~

19. 25YearsIn

25YearsIn Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

Like others, when I decided on a teaching career I supported myself and needed to find a creative solution to getting my credential, including the unpaid student teaching challenge. I knew it wasn't going to be a fast process. First I took a job as a high school EL aide to see if I liked teaching. I ended up staying in this job throughout my teacher preparation program. By the time student teaching came around, I had completed a year and a half as a full-time aide and held several small group classes independently every day as well as helping in other, teacher-led classes. My university program worked out that part of this day would be countable, and I student taught first period for a full year in return for writing a curriculum project at the end of the day to compensate the district for that period and to show that that time had not been district-paid. I might have sought some of the other options above, such as internship, but this was not an option in 1979. Student teaching took a full year rather than a semester, but I did get through it. As to loans, I paid every month for ten years, then, in the twelfth month of year ten began my Master's. All told, I spent some twenty years of my working life paying student loans (and fell into a span of years where there were no loan forgiveness programs, darn it). I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

20. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 28, 2007

I just remembered, too, that we could sub for our CTs for pay during the last 2 weeks of the placement. It wasn't a TON of money, but it was an extra bump at the end when I really needed it.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2007

I feel your pain! My university even charges extra lab fees while student teaching ($450). So, my loan didn't even cover all of my tuition. I also live completely alone. I kept my full-time job during my student teaching. After about 4-6 weeks, I dropped down to 32-34 hours a week. I put in 10 hours each on Sat and Sun, plus a few nights a week between 5 and 11. My school didn't get out until 3:57, plus I had a half hour drive, so it was hard for me to work evenings. It is exhausting, but it can be done!

22. Honey1021

Honey1021 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

My advice would be the same as everyone else's and I want to add one thing. Try and find a family that needs a weekend babysitter. I babysat most weekends and some weeknights during student teaching and after the kids went to bed I could work on lesson plans. Plus if the kids are school age and you help with homework you can add tutor to your resume as well.

23. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2007

12teach, you need to talk to your university's financial aid office.

I managed to get Pell grants, university grants and a federal direct loan which was enough to pay for my credential program and living expenses. And I am looking forward to not having to pay most of the loans back because of APLE and Stafford loan forgiveness.

24. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Aug 16, 2007

I applied for an alternative Signature private loan through Sallie Mae when I did my student teaching. However, my understanding was that my school had the right to determine the loan amount which may or may not be helpful to you.

I was told that they offer a living expense loan for semesters such as these. I wish I had known this when I applied for the alternative signature loan as I had to wait months for my school to process the loan and I didn't see a cent of the money until November!