Aesop cancellations by sub?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Turtle321, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Nov 14, 2011

Hello.

I have been subbing for many years, although this is the first year our district has been using the Aesop system. I have a question that I hope I can get some feedback on...

I have never cancelled a sub job. However, I need to cancel one due to laryngitis & illness. I see a 'trash can' icon next to my sub date. My problem is that I worry about how this will affect my performance. There is no place to state a reason for cancelling the job. I don't want the district to think I'm cancelling for no justifiable reason.

Do you think this will affect future job openings? I miss the days when I talked to a real human being. There is a 'sub coordinator' but when I email, I get no response.

(There are also some known issues and bugs to work out within the district regarding the Aesop system).

Thanks.

3. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Nov 14, 2011

Call the Building you were supposed to be at anyways. Only 1 district that I am at has enabled the function for you to cancel online, and there is a universal message posted on Aesop to call the building if you can't sub. I've had to cancel before because of a medical emergency. It's really not a big deal unless you make a habit out of it. Schools get mad if you simply just don't show up, but everyone gets sick.

4. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Nov 14, 2011

Thank you.

I clicked the 'trash can' and I was removed from the job. There is no 'universal message' posted to call the building. It's a good idea & I will try...considering the reason I cancelled the job was because I have absolutely no voice! That conversation should be interesting. :blush:

5. Vince

Vince Rookie

Nov 14, 2011

Depending on how far away the job was, only the teacher may actually be aware that you canceled, and even then, maybe not. If the teacher looked to see who was taking their class, then they might see a name change as another sub picks up the job. If the job is in the next day or so, then the secretary who handles subs might notice. But in my district, it really wouldn't have any effect on future jobs. We have PLENTY of subs waiting to pick up jobs that show up on Aesop.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2011

I think that cancelling jobs will only impact your reputation if you make a habit of it. One of our regular subs was removed from our preferred list because of too many last minute cancellations of jobs she had picked up.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 14, 2011

The only time you really need to call the school is if you're calling the day of the cancellation. If you do that, you probably have a good and immediate reason they'll understand.

8. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 14, 2011

Who are you going to call on the day of cancellation? If Aesop replaced the sub caller, you will have no one to call the day of cancellation. Most schools don't have anyone in the building who could do anything that Aesop doesn't do automatically. I have one school district that doesn't have the garbage can to allow you to cancel and I have tried to explain it doesn't make sense for the district. I had another school district that agreed and changed it, at least for me. It appears every school district uses Aesop differently and some worry about things like cancellations and others don't care.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 14, 2011

The one time I totally could not make it to a sub assignment (food poisoning, don't ask), I called the front office and explained it to the secretary. She knew me well enough to know that I wouldn't break a job unless it was an emergency and that did indeed sound that bad. Aesop wouldn't allow me to cancel that close to the start of the day, so that was my only choice.

10. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Nov 14, 2011

Yes, I've noticed that in one of my districts the trash can (to cancel) disappears the night before the actual job is to start. I've always wondered what if there was an emergency the morning of your sub job...you cannot cancel online and there is no one to call because Aesop assumes the job is covered. Calling the office yourself poses a problem because the staff assumes Aesop had it covered. The only option in that district is that if you are ill the morning of your sub job...too bad. You go in sick. I'm sure most subs do not abuse their placements but things DO happen...

I've had assignments where other subs in the building 'had an emergency to leave' and I needed to cover for them...not fair to other subs or the kids. That is why I was so hesitant to cancel my job. I need to work and hope this wasn't going to be held against me.

11. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Nov 14, 2011

I have done this before myself, many times. Sometimes you just get sick or something comes up at the last minute! I never had a problem with it.

12. Vince

Vince Rookie

Nov 15, 2011

I don't see how aesop can replace a person. We still have two full time employees who take care of subs (and other duties, I am sure). I've talked to her many times in the morning. She'll call me to say that my job was canceled, but offer me a different school.

13. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Nov 15, 2011

You are lucky to be in a district like that. My district let the human go due to budget cuts.

14. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 15, 2011

I've subbed in four districts with Aesop and none have anyone you could contact early in the morning.

15. Vince

Vince Rookie

Nov 16, 2011

Who handles your permits? Your TB tests? And whatever else is required in your state? Our lady does much more than just call for subs. She also does the training and orientation for new subs.

16. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 16, 2011

What is that? I have one school that I have subbed about a half dozen times and I'm not sure I have met the secretary or principal.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 16, 2011

Ooo, that's sad. Any way you can get to the office during a prep or before school to say hello? It's highly recommended so they can remember you as someone they know and trust with their students.

18. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 17, 2011

I'm sure the trash can is there for one of my districts until an hour before the start time. I'm not sure about the others but my job for tomorrow morning still has a trash can.

19. Vince

Vince Rookie

Nov 18, 2011

Never met the secretary? Who fills out your time sheets? Tells you what room to go to? Gives you a map or tells you where to find the mail boxes so you can retrieve the roll book? As far as the principal, I have only met two or three out of the 20 or so schools I have subbed at.

20. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 20, 2011

I subbed at this school last Friday and finally figured out who the secretary was and met the assistant principal. I think the secretary spends time in two different areas because she is usually not at the area you would expect. When I arrive in the morning there is nobody at this desk but the printout from Aesop is sitting on a counter to sign. The room number is listed on Aesop. I have never had a teacher leave their roll book in their mailbox. I left late on Friday since I was writing a not to the teacher. I ran into the the assistant principal who introduced herself and thanked me for subbing at the school. I'm amazed that principals are not more visible in schools and don't do more to check on new substitute teachers.

21. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 20, 2011

Every school is different. I have subbed in schools where I know the principals very well because they make a point to check on how my day is going. I've also subbed in schools where I hardly knew who the principal was. The school where I am doing my long-term has principals like that. They never check on me or ask if I need anything. I haven't really gotten a chance to know them which is sad because I really hoped to use some people from this job as references. If they speak to me it's just a quick hi or bye.