Aesop Agreement

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by sunshine*inc, Sep 1, 2010.

1. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Sep 1, 2010

Was anyone else asked to agree to a contract when signing into Aesop?

3. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Sep 1, 2010

I was.

4. springmac

springmac Companion

Sep 1, 2010

yes

5. mygirlkristi

mygirlkristi Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

Yes, and I think it is really wrong. That agreement states that Frontline has the right to deny you the right to search for jobs on Aesop "at any time and for any reason or for no reason." Frontline should not be able to control who works for their CLIENTS (the schools). The decison of whom to hire for a job rests with the schools - and it should Aesop who makes that call. I think our rights are being violated.

6. waffles

waffles Companion

Sep 1, 2010

If the schools won't let you in to sub for them, then there's no reason to let you look for jobs.

Anything can be made to look evil if yo see it the wrong way. Wait until you not getting any work is Frontline's decision before you start whining about it.

7. mygirlkristi

mygirlkristi Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

What I am saying is that the agreement states that Frontline can disallow you access to Aesop whether the school wants that or not and for any or NO reason at all - just on a whim. That is what it said. They are claiming the right to control access to subs who have already gone through the district's interview process and been accepted. I am not whining - I am stating that I think it is absolutely wrong.

8. waffles

waffles Companion

Sep 1, 2010

Do you think it's fair for someone to see jobs available if the teacher or the school just doesn't want them there? I don't, and I think that would be a legitimate reason to block you from seeing jobs.

Earlier this year I was blocked from seeing jobs while I was doing some temping stuff. Since there's no real way to know how long that will last it's not really fair for me to be able to grab a sub job that someone else who will definitely be available could have.

Yes it's something that could be used for evil. But that doesn't mean that it is.

Besides, you shouldn't sign things you don't agree with anyway.

9. mygirlkristi

mygirlkristi Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

I'm sorry, Waffles, I don't get your point. Why would a teacher or school not want someone there if they have been hired and approved by my district? The district already has the power to remove people from the sub list. That is not Aesop's responsibility. Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with schools not wanting certain people in the buildings at all. It more has to do with Aesop trying to sell Jobulator from what I can see.

I think you and I are thinking along different lines.

As far as signing something I don't agree with - come on - obviously I had no choice. What should I do instead - give up my income altogether? I'm not in a position to do that. So, yes, I had to hit accept - but no - I do not think it's right.

10. waffles

waffles Companion

Sep 1, 2010

Impressing the district in an interview and impressing the teacher are two different things. Maybe you didn't follow the lesson plans like they wanted. Maybe you just don't gel well with the class at all.

Maybe the school feels like you write people up too often or too quickly. Those aren't things that will probably be shown in the interview for the district.

11. azure

azure Companion

Sep 1, 2010

Waffles:

Your arguments aren't making any sense, and you're missing the point altogether.

The school and teachers can already block certain subs from seeing their postings, so why should AESOP have anything to do with that? What AESOP is doing has nothing to do with that.

AESOP simply wants to be able to block any sub they suspect of using an auto accept program.

12. SuperDuperTcher

SuperDuperTcher New Member

Sep 2, 2010

Aesop's agreement

I tried to log into Aesop to check for jobs tonight and was prompted to read and accept the user agreement too. I just exited the website without clicking anything. I do not agree with them being able to terminate your use of the website because you may choose to use a program to auto accept or notify you of new jobs available unless the program you are using is Frontline's Jobulator. Isn't this a monopoly on such software? Is this an Antitrust issue? Antitrust Laws Definition: The federal laws forbidding businesses from monopolizing a market or restraining free trade.

If they are going to allow Jobulator, they should allow the competitions software to be used too. If they don't want auto accept software or other monitoring software other than Jobulator, then don't allow any type of monitoring or auto accept software to be used. It should be all or nothing.

I don't oppose restricting users from employing software that helps to find or accepts posted positions. Let everyone have the same shot at searching, finding and accepting jobs on their own without the aid of additional software.

Additionally, the school districts should not limit subs from viewing all jobs available as they become available. Also, teachers who need a sub should not be allowed to post that job to a particular sub either. If the school chooses to use Aesop or other automated sub placement services, then let everyone have a fair and equal shot at the available jobs.

13. waffles

waffles Companion

Sep 2, 2010

I don't use any programs to help grab jobs so I can't speak to that. But what I will say is that Firefox has multiple extensions that will reload the page however often you want. So I don't understand people paying for Jobulator when they can get the same functions for free.

Autoaccepting things is an entirely different issue. I don't like the idea of at all. If someone wants a job they should have to be there to grab it, not just leave their computer on.

I also don't think it's fair to limit what people can see jobs for the most part. Either you're able to see it or you're not. However, if a certain sub has consistently done a poor job at a school or in a certain class I don't see why the school should let them see the job is available.

But really, what's wrong with being able to ask for a certain sub? If you know they'll do well then request people.

Yes, it's a job for us and we'd all like to have as many chances to work as possible. But the most important thing here is the kids and their education. With most subs the day is basically lost, or at best a disruption of the plan the teacher had, because the teacher doesn't know who's coming and has to plan for someone who can't do anything.

What I do wish though is that when I'm requested the system gives me a chance to accept the job. I've been requested a few times and not asked about it first. I wonder if the teachers know, despite the fact that their Aesop manual tells them, that it just puts me on the job and assumes they've talk to me and gotten a confirmation that I'll be able to do it.

14. azure

azure Companion

Sep 2, 2010

Do you mean you were assigned (not just requested) without knowing about the job first? In our district teachers do not have that capability, so you should complain to the HR office if you don't like that. However, I suspect most subs would rather have it that way. . . at least they get jobs that way. But, yes, if your district allows teachers to assign a certain sub, the teacher should have the courtesy to call you first.

15. mygirlkristi

mygirlkristi Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

I'm not sure why you are trying to imply that I am not a good substitute when you do not know me. Maybe you didn't mean "ME" as much as people in general, I don't know.

Like you, Waffles, I have no problem with teachers requesting subs - I agree with you there. I have worked in my building for 3 years - this is year 4 - and I know all of the kids by name and can easily interact with them.

I sub in two buildings only - and 90% of the time in the same place. The kids don't lose a day when I am subbing with them because I am not new and I know what is going on. And I think the teachers should be able to secure someone like me in the spot before opening it up to just anyone.

As far as I know, the only way you can be "put into" a job on Aesop is if a school sec'y does it. The teachers can't do that - at least at my school. I got "put into" several jobs this morning that no one asked me about. I know the sec'y did it - and that's fine. Maybe that is what is happening with you too.

Back to the main topic - which was the AESOP agreement...

My point simply was that the entire user agreement is unfair and way over the top. It feels a lot like "big brother" to me. And I really have an issue with the "we can kick you off our system for any time and any reason or NO reason." I am employed by the schools - not AESOP - and they should not have the right to decide who the school employs.

16. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Sep 2, 2010

I don't think it's a big issue for teacher's to request subs. I get at least half my jobs that way. Whenever I've been assigned to a particular job, the teacher has always asked me first. To my knowledge, the teachers can do it but I'm not sure exactly.