AEPA vs. Praxis II

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by friggsdottir, Jan 26, 2011.

1. friggsdottir

friggsdottir New Member

Jan 26, 2011

I hold an Alabama teaching certificate and I am looking to move to Arizona in the next few weeks. In the reciprocal agreement, it says that AZ requires a Professional Knowledge Exam and a Content Knowledge exam within a year. I have taken and passed the Praxis II in my content area (this is required in Alabama to be certified). Can a passing Praxis II exam score be used to fulfill both the Professional Knowledge and Content KNowledge requirements?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2011

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 26, 2011

Yes, you can use the Praxis but make sure to have your results on hand to show them. I have a friend from MN who had to "fight" for this.

By the way, why are you moving to AZ? It must be worse in Alabama than here....I don't encourage anyone to move down here to teach...

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2011

friggsdottir, let me welcome you to A to Z, anyway.

6. friggsdottir

friggsdottir New Member

Jan 27, 2011

Thanks for your response. I graduated in December and there are NO jobs here. I have 2 children and some family in Phoenix, so I was hoping I could lean on them for some support while I looked for work. Do you discourage anyone moving to AZ to teach because of the "right to work" stuff or because the job market is bad?

7. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Feb 28, 2011

When I moved to Arizona I held a Washington AND California certificate but I still had to fulfill some requirements. I had already taken and passed the Praxis but I had to take the AEPA exam. It was not difficult.

Arizona gives you one year to pass the AEPA, and three years to take a US Constitution class, and an Arizona Constitution class. I had taken Colonial History in college so that requirement was waived. My district also reimburses for any tests or classes I had to take to fulfill the requirements for full certification. It wasn't hard, just time consuming.

My advice... do NOT take the online AZ Constitution class... take the weekend class.

Good luck. There are jobs available.