AEPA middle school lang.arts/reading

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by asullins, Mar 2, 2010.

1. asullins

asullins Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

I'm trying to pick up my middle school lang. arts/reading cert. in AZ. I can't seem to find many pointers on the AEPA. I'm currently certified in elem. ed. 1-6 in Missouri. Has anybody taken this section of the AEPA?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, asullins.

Let me suggest not exerting yourself to find test prep materials for AEPA's middle school ELA exam specifically. You might want to have a look at the thread "Elmer's English resources" here in the Single Subject Tests subforum: the information in it is as likely to be applicable to your exam as it is to CSET English or any other state's comparable exam.

Bear in mind that the official test guide on the AEPA Web site - and in particular the test description - is the most reliable specification of what's on the test - and that includes any commercially produced test-prep materials.

4. asullins

asullins Rookie

Mar 3, 2010

Thanks so much TeacherGroupie!

I was reading the other threads and came across Elmer's English Resources. I printed it and have been studying it along with the AEPA study guide from their registration website.

I took the practice test in the study guide and didn't do too terribly bad. I'm currently certified in elem. ed 1-6 in another state and transferring my cert. to AZ. The are major budget cuts taking place here, so I'm trying to make myself as marketable as possible by picking up additional endorsements. I'm also considering trying the AEPA middle school science test in June. Do you know if school districts will hire you before you pass the AEPA and have the endorsement or is this a prerequisite that needs to be done before a contract can be awarded?

I've been out of the classroom this past school year working in a non-school job. I'm really crossing my fingers that something comes up and I can get back next school year. I'm really missing it! :(

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2010

I'd bet against a district anywhere hiring those who haven't passed the subject matter exams or otherwise satisfied the subject matter knowledge requirement: this is a fact about complying with NCLB.