Advocating with Principal

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HOPE-fulTeacher, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Apr 16, 2012

*Also posted this in Behavioral Management and New Teacher forums, but I know that the Job seekers forum is 1 of the most viewed and has people who have been through similar situations! I appreciate your help!*

I am a first year teacher dealing with some tough kiddos in trauma situations. Back in December/January, I had a student in full on crisis mode, with several emotional and behavioral ramifications that included repeated (almost daily) physical violence and property damage. I would have to evacuate my class and set things up to teach in the library, which interrupted not only instructional time, but has also had a lasting impact on the emotional well-being of my class. Because this was a fairly unfamiliar event at my school, I was not given much guidance on how to handle it, especially at the beginning.

That student ended up moving to another school, but within the past month or so, I have had another student (who'd been on the radar for social and behavioral issues before, since Kindergarten) escalate his behaviors to point where they are also being a daily interruption and occasionally becoming unsafe. Furthermore, there are now 2 additional students who've seen the additional attention and modifications these other 2 students have received because of their behavior, and have become copycats of the student that is still disrupting my classroom. I have received guidance from my mentor and have gone to her repeatedly about each of the situations mentioned above; however, the interventions that she and I have set up have not been working. Also, I have not yet been formally evaluated by my principal.

Today, my mentor advised me to meet with our P and advocate on my own behalf about the behaviors that I've been seeing and dealing with in my classroom, and to ask for help and further suggestions on things to try. (So the ball's in her court as far as helping me goes, and the record shows that I asked for help.) I am preparing a list of interventions and modifications that I have already tried with each of the students involved, and we plan to meet with her tomorrow.

My question to you is...do you have any more suggestions on what I should do, how I should approach things. I am totally unfamiliar with school "politics", and I am especially unsure what help is available to me or what the best course of actions to take is since my state does not have collective bargaining. We have a union, but they don't have much power...

It terrifies me that my mentor suggested I do this...she is also kind of an administrator at the school, and although she was speaking as a mentor and keeps all of our conversations confidential, I am scared that she might be nervous for my job next year.

I would really like advice from you all on what I should do/say and what might happen because of this! Has anyone ever experienced something like this.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2012

The thread in the Behavior Management forum is at http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=158037.

Forum policy strongly discourages multiple threads in multiple forums on the same topic by the same poster: the site owner's rationale, with which I agree, is that keeping the discussion to one thread makes it easier for everyone to follow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.