Advisory Class?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by mrsenglish, Aug 10, 2012.

1. mrsenglish

mrsenglish Rookie

Aug 10, 2012

Do any of you teach an advisory class? I just found out that I've been assigned an advisory of sophomores and while I know the purpose, I'd like to pick some brains for ideas of things we can do in there. One big thing we will tackle is a service project (I work at a Catholic school) but obviously that won't take all year.

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 10, 2012

My experience with advisory classes has been as a student and as a long-term substitute. Much of the time is wasted just sitting around, but the activities that are supposed to happen include planning for college, keeping track of community service hours, and choosing class schedules.

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 10, 2012

We have had an Advisory period at my school for 10 years. The purpose/scheduling of it has changed throughout the years. When we first started with it, we had it once a week for 30 minutes. We would get discussion topics and resources in advance. Now we have it every day for only 6 minutes. It's more like a homeroom every day, where we go over announcements and answer school-related questions. Periodically we will have an "extended advisory" when there is a specific topic/activity we are to discuss with our groups. I normally just have open discussions with my group. We keep the same kids for all four years, so they start opening up after some time. This year I will have freshmen again, so I will need to start over with a new group.

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 10, 2012

"Advisory" for us is just a time-eater.

They changed the name from homeroom, list activities that are supposed to take place (but don't), and extended the time to make the state think that something sort of educational reform is actually taking place.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 10, 2012

That's great. I literally spit out my water reading this.

7. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 10, 2012

Ours have grade benefits..

9th use it to study various study habits and high school success techniques.

10th use it to help review and prepare for the high school exit exam.

11th use it to help kids learn various real world finance application (tax returns, loans, paycheck taxes...)

12th use it to help fill out college apps, buil a resume, etc.

It's also used as a study hall the last month or so before finals each semester.

8. mrsenglish

mrsenglish Rookie

Aug 10, 2012

We will be meeting daily for about 30 minutes a day and I really want to avoid it becoming a time waster / indoor recess. :)